Delay in fixing car - Parkstone
My Picanto has been with dealer for 2 months with a failed airbag module. The part is on back order and they can give no date for delivery. They don’t have any parts and there is a shortage of materials to make new ones hence the absence of delivery’s date.
The car is out of warranty so no courtesy car or help with inconvenience of not having the car.
They have said it could be months before a part is available but they have not way of knowing how long. I get weekly call saying no news. Tried private auto electricians but there are no after market parts available either…
I am wondering if I would be entitled to any sort of compensation towards the cost of the eventual repair as it has left me without a car for months and the quote for the repair was over £700!
Not sure who to ask ie omburdsman about any consumer rights…
Delay in fixing car - Adampr

I doubt it.

I'm sure the garage would be delighted if you paid them for their work so far and took the car away.

Delay in fixing car - Metropolis.
Is the car not still drivable, just without a functioning airbag and with a warning light?

I would suggest finding out the part number, then do some googling for alternative suppliers.
Delay in fixing car - Rerepo

Parts supply for Kia/Hyundai can be shockingly bad. Its not down to a 'chip shortage' either because even trim and metal pressing can be on back order for many many months and consequently used parts hard to find. Keep this in mind if think of buying a Kia or Hyundai.

Anyway, Picanto/i10 airbag ECU failure is not unusual. Contact Northern Autotech UK Ltd in Morecambe, who may well be able to repair your ECU. As an alternative you could try to get hold of a secondhand unit. Be sure to match part numbers - common P/Ns for these ECUs are 95910-1W000, 95910-1Y110, 95910-1W100 and 95910-1W510.

Delay in fixing car - alexander John

The best approach would be to first confirm the part number of the failed airbag module. Once you have this, explore sourcing the part through alternative suppliers including online OEM parts dealers and salvage yards which may have suitable second-hand units. Additionally, consider contacting specialized automotive electronics repair services that might be able to repair the existing module, as this could be faster and potentially more cost-effective than waiting for a back-ordered new part.