Lotus Eletre - First drive - mcb100
Just had an enjoyable week in Essex driving, talking about and demonstrating the new Lotus Eletre.
In a huge departure for Lotus - it’s over 5 metres long, an electric SUV with a starting price of £89,500.
Dual motors with 450kW (612ps) and a 109 usable kW battery, the WLTP range is 373 miles on the (smaller!) 22” wheels. The ‘R’ specification will be arriving soon with 918ps.
Lots of technology (it’s Level 4 autonomous ready, with cameras & sensors in place but disabled for the UK) in the cabin and externally, and very configurable to suit a new owner’s tastes.
Like any EV, it’ll potter about the busy roads of Colchester (other busy towns and cities are available), but given a higher speed limit it’s effortlessly accelerated to a higher velocity.
It’s a phenomenal drive, it handles well on the twisty stuff (air suspension and active dampers as standard) but quiet and refined on faster dual carriageways.
Lotus Eletre - First drive - badbusdriver

Hmm, 612 or 918PS?

‘Hmm, 612 or 918PS?’

Yup…

Citroen Oli?, yes

Microlino?, yes

XBus?, yes

Eletre?, meh!

Lotus Eletre - First drive - movilogo

Just watched video review here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8EWcrRDd5c

Looks like a nice car. Price tag is high but if you compare with Lambo Urus then feels reasonable :-)

Lotus Eletre - First drive - bazza

Such a shame that a name like Lotus has to go down the route of huge, obese (2500 kg!!!), massive ugly thing in order survive into the electric future. Something lightweight, small, sharp handling, minimalist would be so welcome in this era of un- necessarily huge SUVs which nobody needs and goes completely against the whole idea of economic and efficient motoring! Colin Chapman will be turning in his grave! Sorry to think this but I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur these days!

Lotus Eletre - First drive - SLO76

Such a shame that a name like Lotus has to go down the route of huge, obese (2500 kg!!!), massive ugly thing in order survive into the electric future. Something lightweight, small, sharp handling, minimalist would be so welcome in this era of un- necessarily huge SUVs which nobody needs and goes completely against the whole idea of economic and efficient motoring! Colin Chapman will be turning in his grave! Sorry to think this but I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur these days!

They need to make money, and a fat, costly SUV is the way to go if they want to survive and continue to make lightweight fun cars too.
Lotus Eletre - First drive - Adampr

I just wish they'd put it out under a different brand. Lotus shouldn't be making big heavy cars. I mean, they should be making whatever makes them money, but I'd rather they catered to my own brand nostalgia.

Just watched video review here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8EWcrRDd5c

I also watched a video review, but not that one, what's his face does my head right in!.

It does seem that the Eletre is properly sorted and of a sufficiently high (perceived) quality to compete with the big players. But the success of the car lies in being able to persuade enough buyers to ignore Lotus's historic reputation re quality and reliability (hence the old acronym, Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious). But that is probably the reason behind the hugely unnecessary, attention grabbing 921PS power output. Plenty of rich folk out there, and they all want the fastest and most powerful car out there!.

Lotus Eletre - First drive - paul 1963

Saw one at my local Lotus dealership last week, not exactly pretty.

Lotus Eletre - First drive - Sofa Spud

Lotus helped in the development of the original Tesla Roadster, which was partly based on the Lotus Elise.

Re the Eletre - I can understand the appeal of practical SUVs but I never understood the fashion for 'crossover' SUVs with fastback coupe styling to the upper body.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/10/2023 at 13:16

The Cayenne is regularly credited with saving Porsche when it was launched in 2002, and now a Porsche SUV is more commonplace than a 911.
There will undoubtedly be sports cars in the product pipeline, but the requirement to meet current safety standards and add 600kg of batteries means that the Elise as we know it won’t be returning.