N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Ethan Edwards

www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/french-re...b.

I see that our close chums the French are taking sanctions seriously, as usual.

Auchan are continuing to trade in Russia. So helping to legitimise Vlads brutal invasion. So surely the EU plan on taking action...nah. They're gearing up to take the UK to court. So nothing weird about that then.

And they aren't alone...more French companies ignoring Sanctions...

www.wsj.com/articles/russia-ukraine-war-france-ren...1

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 06/09/2022 at 21:40

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - alan1302

www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/french-re...b.

I see that our close chums the French are taking sanctions seriously, as usual.

Auchan are continuing to trade in Russia. So helping to legitimise Vlads brutal invasion. So surely the EU plan on taking action...nah. They're gearing up to take the UK to court. So nothing weird about that then.

And they aren't alone...more French companies ignoring Sanctions...

www.wsj.com/articles/russia-ukraine-war-france-ren...1

I expect there will be some UK companies doing the same. Have the EU said anything about it? Has France?

You seem to have an axe to grind.

Certainly do. If and its If any UK company did this the EU would be up in arms. The media etc. But France oh well that's different. The EU look the other way, our media get amnesia etc.

Here's the Axe. I detest the double standards.

Hypocrisy always winds me up.

Check this out.

order-order.com/2022/07/04/germany-ease-restrictio...s

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 06/09/2022 at 22:14

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - daveyjp

Certainly do. If and its If any UK company did this the EU would be up in arms. The media etc. But France oh well that's different. The EU look the other way, our media get amnesia etc.

Here's the Axe. I detest the double standards.

Hypocrisy always winds me up.

Check this out.

order-order.com/2022/07/04/germany-ease-restrictio...s

The easiest way to not be wind up is to stop visiting websites that exist to purely do that to its readers. Its why I'm on none of the social media sites, they are toxic.

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Andrew-T

<< The easiest way to not be wound up is to stop visiting websites that exist to purely do that to its readers. Its why I'm on none of the social media sites, they are toxic. >>

I have always taken the same evasive action. The problem is that anyone being wound up usually can't resist joining in :-))

It's not like that on here, of course .... :-)

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Bromptonaut

I'd be well surprised if, by hook or by crook, those UK companies that have significant trade in Russia will pull out unless the UK government legislates for them to do so.

If Auchan's Russian arm continues to trade the either it's already contravening French legislation or, much more likely, the French government need to legislate.

Either way, it's not a matter for the EU as while we're out France is a Sovereign nation and, absent EU directives, can do what it likes.

www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/macron-denies-france-viola...#

Now you know why Russias more up to date tanks destroyed in Ukraine were found to be full of French thermal imaging and night vision technology.

disclose.ngo/en/article/war-in-ukraine-how-france-...0

www.pona***urasia.org/gorenburg-russian-armata-tanks-using-french-technology/

2020...the EU sanctions were in place in 2014 following Russias aggression in Ukrainian Crimea

www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/4/kyiv-slams-macrons...a

Now we know why Macron has spoken against helping Ukraine and being supportive of Putin. He's hoping to get Russias rearmament business.

What's even more sickening is that some British, American and other Western countries technology has been recovered from Russian scrap Iron. I think there needs to be a formal UN investigation into this and I hope certain countries receive the appropriate consequences.

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - galileo

The French have a track record of selling stuff to hostile regimes, e.g. Exocet missiles to Argentina during the Falklands War.

Macron is an unprincipled hypocrite as well as hating the UK.

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Andrew-T

The French have a track record of selling stuff to hostile regimes,

Don't we do that sort of thing ? Most governments with a negative balance of payments will be glad of something big on the plus side of the ledger.

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Engineer Andy

The French have a track record of selling stuff to hostile regimes,

Don't we do that sort of thing ? Most governments with a negative balance of payments will be glad of something big on the plus side of the ledger.

If I recall, our defence industry has a nasty habit of selling hardward to rather unpleasant regimes, often legally, sometimes with the help of bribes (Middle East) and on a few occasions via supposedly 'vetted' (but either poorly or deliberately a worthless paper exercise that no real effort has been made) third party nations/middle-men arms dealers.

I'm sure some other sectors have engaged in similar unethical or even illegal activities abroad - oil/gas, clothing, etc. Normally exploiting locals / the environment knowing full well what's going on, and again I'd suspect money goes under a lot of politicians' / officials' tables to ensure things continue that way.

The difference is that the French (government) don't really care if they 'get caught', rather like their regular rule/law breaking within the EU over the decades. Like the Russians and Chinese, they are very good at playing hardball / manipulative / threatening politics to get what they want or get away with unpleasant / illegal actions.

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - alan1302

The French have a track record of selling stuff to hostile regimes, e.g. Exocet missiles to Argentina during the Falklands War.

You do realse the UK sells to places like Saudi Arabia and even to Russia?

Why do you think he hates the UK? It's very unlikley he does.

I can't remember one senior French politician (i.e. PM or president) who wasn't, practive (some pretend to be nice but their actions spoke volumes)... Far more the elites than the ordinary citizen.

In my view, the problem the French (government) have had for a long time (more than a century) and has shown itself in their often nasty, petty attitude towards us and (to a lesser extent) the USA is that their politicians like to profess being ethical but mostly act in the opposite way.

Now fair do's that in many cases that's because they act solely for the benefit of France, but it's precisely because the British have often acted for the betterment of others to our detrimnent that their governing class appears to have a long-standing chip on their shoulder.

It's the hypocrisy I can't stand, pretending they are doing virtuous things on behalf of other nations/peoples but but at the same time (often) doing the opposite.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 13/09/2022 at 13:49

N/a - Russian Sanctions being broken - Crickleymal

Now you know why Russias more up to date tanks destroyed in Ukraine were found to be full of French thermal imaging and night vision technology.

2020...the EU sanctions were in place in 2014 following Russias aggression in Ukrainian Crimea

Now we know why Macron has spoken against helping Ukraine and being supportive of Putin. He's hoping to get Russias rearmament business.

What's even more sickening is that some British, American and other Western countries technology has been recovered from Russian scrap Iron. I think there needs to be a formal UN investigation into this and I hope certain countries receive the appropriate consequences.

Probably sold before any of this kicked off. We sell arms to countries like Saudi Arabia which has a terrible human rights record, France sold Exocets to Argentina before the Falklands war. Everybody does it. I'm not saying it's right but literally every country with an armaments industry sells it to anyone who will buy it.

Probably sold before any of this kicked off. We sell arms to countries like Saudi Arabia which has a terrible human rights record, France sold Exocets to Argentina before the Falklands war. Everybody does it. I'm not saying it's right but literally every country with an armaments industry sells it to anyone who will buy it.

Indeed - whilst it can (IMHO) be often correctly argued that doing so (to sell [or give, in the case of Ukraine] to country A when they are in conflict with Country B), rarely does any politician of note or the public at large have any appetite for any (credible) political moves to both stop the cause of the problems in concert with stopping the ability of (both) parties to continue conflicts in various ways.

Often those who do often propose very simplistic 'solutions' that are in most cases beneficial to one side (often either those who share the proposer's ideological bent or against the other side who is against that) or doesn't in any way resolve the long term underyling issues that kicked things off.

Sadly too many people turn a blind eye, whether to seeling arms etc to nasty foreign powers or to resolving conflicts on a long term basis, because both mostly invlove a lot of hard work and personal, national and even economic sacrifice. Unfortunately, and often because of people / organicsations / governments with agenda, including the media, there often sounds like very little between military solutions and ones that aren't.