Adaptive Cruise control - sammy1

On here in the "latest news" MPs to investigate Self driving cars. A customer has a Golf with ACC, he is complaining that if he sets the cruise control to 50 and then the limit goes to 60 the car speeds up to the new speed limit. Apparently the cars cameras recognise the 60 sign or the GPS tells the car to speed up. I never new this function as I thought it was mainly to keep you a safe distance from the car in front. Just because a road is marked 60 you may not want to travel at this pace or the car/driver might not be capable of such a speed on some roads... OK once you are aware how it works fine but one VW customer did not!

New cars are getting over complicated Today the EU announced the introduction of the new speed limiter on all new cars again governed by GPS. Again you will be able to override the system by "pressing harder on the pedal but it seems a very dangerous concept to me. I do not think the UK can say no to this too complicated for the makers

Adaptive Cruise control - Terry W

An interesting thought.

On cars with drivers cruise control is user selected. Defaulting to cruise at the speed limit rather than the set speed may either be user configurable or a fixed default. RTFM is probably a good bit of advice!

Self driving cars, by definition, do not our input (save for destination) and will need to have a "solution" embedded in the software. Speed limit as a maximum providing it is assessed as safe seems reasonable.

That bit is easy - but what happens if it comes up behind someone going slower - wait for a safe place to overtake, slow down to match the speed of the slow-coach, flash lights and sound horn, tailgate etc.

Can self driving cars exhibit road rage??

Adaptive Cruise control - catsdad

My 2018 Golf ACC doesn’t operate like this. It’s not the most intuitive system to set with different buttons for one mph and 10 mph (or is it 5?) increments and another button for the desired gap. Mine us not linked to speed signs or GPS and the set limit wouldn’t be exceeded without driver override.

Previous systems I have used were more basic but much simpler to use and remember.

Either the system in the original post is different to mine (for example if it’s a Mk 8) or it’s user error. If it’s the latter it may be they are adding one mph increments with the second button without realising.

Adaptive Cruise control - badbusdriver

Would it not be the case with ACC that if you set it while within a certain distance to the car in front, it will stay at the speed of that car (unless that car exceeds the speed limit), but if you set it with no other cars in front, it will stay at whatever speed you were doing?.

Adaptive Cruise control - movilogo

Does not sound right. ACC should never go above set limit.

So if you set for 60 MPH it may do slower than that and will pickup till 60 MPH when road is clear, but never above 60 MPH unless driver increases limit.

Adaptive Cruise control - Mr D Og

Would it not be the case with ACC that if you set it while within a certain distance to the car in front, it will stay at the speed of that car (unless that car exceeds the speed limit), but if you set it with no other cars in front, it will stay at whatever speed you were doing?.

With my ACC, my car will stay at the speed I set until I catch up with a car going slower than me in which case it will remain behind that car at a preset safe distance unless/until I choose to change lanes and overtake it.

If the car I caught up increased speed for any reason prior to me overtaking then my car would match it's speed until my car reached its preset speed, irrespective of the legal speed limit.

Adaptive Cruise control - Andrew-T

Can self driving cars exhibit road rage??

Just wait and see ... :-)

Adaptive Cruise control - mcb100
This is a new one to me, having done thousands of miles on ACC in various makes.
Yes, there is usually an option to have the car set the cruise speed to the limit the camera has seen, but I takes another button push to amend the set speed to a new speed limit.
In fairness, I haven’t driven a VAG product for a while.
Adaptive Cruise control - primus 1

My Ford acc works in the same way as others have said, staying at the set speed and keeps a safe distance from the car in front, it only speeds up when the road is clear or I indicate to change lanes on a motorway, however, my speed limiter reads traffic signs and adjusts to the limit, it will speed up again when it detects a higher limit sign, perhaps this is what the op is referring to

Yes, there is usually an option to have the car set the cruise speed to the limit the camera has seen,

It will take a very clever car to correctly interpret some of the road signs in this part of the world, as quite a few are disappearing into foliage while councils save money. I sometimes wonder whether that might be a valid defence in cases of speeding ?

New cars are getting over complicated.

New cars got overcomplicated a long time ago. Drivers are being sold (or leasing) devices with many unfixable and unnecessary toys, many created by nutty designers with nothing better to do. Some possibly to notionally raise a car's NCAP rating ?