BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Turkish_Emperor

Need some quick advice, I've seen and fallen in love with a used car that was being sold privately.

The boyfriend is helping sell the car that is in the name of his GF as she is currently back in her home country and he'll be immigrating and flying out to her very shortly.

I met the BF at his parent's house, lovely people, super honest, and I liked the car and have decided to buy it.

However, it's been such a long time since I purchased a used car privately that I'm not sure how this can be done, the BF is saying that she hasn't signed the V5, but "that's all done online these days anyway".

I've found an article on Autoexpress (published in April 2022) that says the V5 is the most important document "which will prove that you are the registered keeper and the car is yours to sell"

Yet he is not the registered keeper and so the car, technically speaking, isn't his to sell.

He showed me (in front of his parents) a TON of documents, including his driving licence AND all the immigration documents to prove his/her relationship.

Can anyone please provide advice on how to proceed with this purchase?

I really want to buy this car - but I also want to sleep easy at night.

For what it's worth, this car is £3000.

Many thanks.

PS - I've asked him if she has pre-signed the V5 so he can sell it on her behalf and he states that she has not, but again states that it's all done online anyway and she can do that from her side (from where she is in the world).

Edited by Turkish_Emperor on 30/06/2022 at 23:50

I will also add that the registered address on the V5 isn't the address of his parent's house.

He stated that he and his gf only moved out of their own flat a week ago and so all their documentation, including his driving licence, the V5 etc etc is still pointing to the flat address (not the parents address as they were only staying at his parents temporarily before flying out of the UK).

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - _

Tell HIM to apply for a new registarion form and THEN and only then will you buy it.

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - bathtub tom

Walk, NO RUN away, it's a con. All the classic symptoms are there, no V5, belongs to someone else, they'll be out of the country and I expect it's a very low price.

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Andrew-T

Walk, NO RUN away, it's a con. All the classic symptoms are there, no V5, belongs to someone else,

+ 1 . Too many essential features are missing.

Walk, NO RUN away, it's a con. All the classic symptoms are there, no V5, belongs to someone else, they'll be out of the country and I expect it's a very low price.

There is a V5, I've seen it, it's with all the documentation and it has her name on it, and I've seen all their documents including both their IDs, bills, formal documents etc..

I'm having a zoom call with her later today as she's in the USA. She just didn't sign the V5 document before leaving nor also that she gave permission to him to sell it. that's all that's missing in terms of documents and 'legality'.

I will speak with her, can record the zoom call, I can have her show her ID.

People do leave the country and do sell their cars.

Price is a fair price, he wouldn't drop and was happy not to sell it and keep it on the parent's drive for another buyer.

He is also happy to hold the car for me until I'm entirely happy with all the paperwork.

Thanks for your opinion.

Edited by Turkish_Emperor on 01/07/2022 at 11:57

Also, payment is being made into her UK bank account, not his. I paid a very small deposit, £25, into her account, to hold the car.

Edited by Turkish_Emperor on 01/07/2022 at 12:00

I paid a very small deposit, £25,

It's apparent you've already decided to buy the car, so why ask the question here? Perhaps you're suspicious?

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Andrew-T

Also, payment is being made into her UK bank account, not his. I paid a very small deposit, £25, into her account, to hold the car.

You sound happy with the situation and have checked for yourself, so go ahead. But please let us know how it turns out - either way.

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Bromptonaut

I've found an article on Autoexpress (published in April 2022) that says the V5 is the most important document "which will prove that you are the registered keeper and the car is yours to sell"

The bolded bit is a load of sphericals.

The keeper is the person with care and control of the vehicle and is responsible for tax etc.

The keeper MAY be the legal owner with right to sell. On the other hand they may not.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/07/2022 at 13:37

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Cris_on_the_gas

Is there a invoice for purchase of car. If so who's name & address is it in. does it match the address of other documents.

I think if you start uncovering the truth and its not what they want to uncover then they will disappear with your £25 an try another mug

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - Adampr

If you are determined to buy the car, I would suggest:

1. The Registered Keeper is not the same as the owner, so don't get too wound up on the V5. First thing to do is get a check on the car's history (Experian etc) to confirm that it's all kosher and not listed as stolen.

2. Get the Registered Keeper to send you a letter (scanned should be OK) confirming that the person selling the car has their authority to do so.

3. Ask both the seller and the Registered Keeper to issue you a signed invoice stating the make, model and registration number of the car, that it has been paid in full and that it now belongs to you. They should also confirm that they will apply to the DVLA to make you the Registered Keeper (or you could insist on watching them doing it online).

4. Ensure they give you the new keeper part of the V5.

5. You could consider paying through PayPal to give yourself a further layer of protection. They shouldn't object because it tends to offer a better exchange rate than a bank transfer from GBP to USD.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it - there are plenty of cars available.

Thanks Adam I really appreciate your advice.

I've actually done all or will be doing all of the above, including change of ownership online , apart from paying through PayPal (though I could do that I guess).

I appreciate your personal view, thank you (though I disagree with your 'plenty of cars available' bit!).

PS - I actually have spoken today with the owner who is abroad via Zoom (she showed me her UK driver's licence).

Is there a invoice for purchase of car. If so who's name & address is it in. does it match the address of other documents.

Good point, I still have mine from 2014.

BF selling car on behalf of GF who is abroad - sammy1

I see little wrong in this. The BF has the car and the V5 and the story checks out. The purchaser has met the BF at his parents home and is happy with the relationship. The position of having to sign over a car on the V5 is old hat and hundreds of sales take place without this and what would the DVLA do if the V5 was unsigned or per pro.. I can see no potential fraud in this seems a lot of hassle for £3k and a second hand car

I sold my daughter's boyfriend's car from my home, but I insisted on the V5 showing it being re-registered to my address, if they wanted me to sell it.