Past quality - SLO76

My recent experience with our Volvo XC60 has soured me. I remember the Volvo’s we had as a family in the 80’s with fondness. They were solid, comfortable and safe and I don’t recall any of them ever going wrong yet from my recent experience and post purchase homework (which should’ve been done beforehand) It seems the now Chinese owned firm have lost their way regarding quality. It was quite frankly a shoddily built car with suspension so fragile it could well be made from glass.

I won’t own another but it got me thinking about other so-called prestige brands which sell an image of high quality built on their past products yet have lost their way, becoming known among those who know as unreliable and problematic as they pass beyond the original warranty term.

In the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s you could buy a new Volvo and have confidence in it offering twenty years of service if you didn’t abuse it too much, ditto Mercedes products before the bean counters took over in the 90’s. BMW offered durability and driver enjoyment and Audi’s were simple yet indestructible. Today they’re over-complex and increasingly a liability at 5yrs plus.

When did the quality die? What was the last truly great car each of these premium manufacturers made? For me it’s the following.

Audi - 1992 Audi 100 2.3E - Solid and dependable, these were a high quality vehicle and while nowhere near as enjoyable on the twists as a BM 5 series they felt like they’d outlast the next ice age.

BMW - 1996 E39 5 series, anything with a 6cyl petrol motor. The 523 was a sweet spot, just enough go yet silky smooth and cheaper than the big engined examples plus it did without the unnecessary sports suspension bigger engined 5’s often were burdened with. These were solid yet refined and fun to drive, they did everything right but without being saddled with the complex electronics and emissions control gubbins of its successor.

Mercedes - 124 series E class - The car you bought if you hated buying cars, because you’d never need to buy another if you even half looked after it. These things were carved from granite. Simple and a bit Spartan, they were expensive because of the quality and not the gadget count. The utter garbage that Mercedes have built since disgraces the name. Today’s A class with its elderly Renault van motor is a shocking was to waste £30k plus. The 6cyl 3.0 non-turbocharged diesel was slow but impossible to kill, many a German taxi driver had a million miles plus up on these and the glacial 2.0 diesels they had access to.

Volvo - 1993 850 2.5 20v - All the durability and quality of the older Volvo 740/940 but it drove every bit as well as the equivalent E34 BM 5 series. Silky smooth 5cyl petrol engines could do 250k without breaking a sweat. Sadly later cars became increasingly gadget laden and as with most prestige cars the typically became diesels with the ever increasing complexity ensuring problems later in life. I sold loads of these and older Volvos and unlike my XC60 I never encountered a problem and you certainly didn’t hear grumbling wheel bearings at 50,000 miles.

Saab - 1986 9000 - These were very expensive things new, the turbos were priced to compete with the BMW 7 series rather than the 5 or the E class Mercedes. But with storming performance and outstanding interior quality it was understandable. These really were a quality car. A good family friend had an early 86 C plate 9000i for over a decade while we were growing up and I remember the feeling of sheer quality from the car. The later post GM cars were appalling by comparison. I couldn’t believe how bad the interior quality was on the first 9-5 I drove was. It’s egg crate standard build combined usually with a noisy timing chain eating 2.2 GM diesel van engine or the motor from a diesel Fiat Punto. Saab were a great car manufacturer under the Swedish but American short term thinking ruined the firm and sadly it is no more. In fact in light of the awful standard of their latter products it was right they were put out of their misery.

Honda - 1989 Accord - Honda attempted to lift the Accord up to compete with the 5 series with this larger saloon. They ramped up the quality to match and they soon became known for their reliability and longevity. Simple mechanically and well made, these were the best built cars Honda ever made. Today’s flawed cars, mostly built in China are a poor imitation. The Civic needing a £1400 Timing belt change every 6yrs and the main dealer is the only one likely to have the tools to do is a fine example of how shortsighted Honda’s management have become. I was always a fan of the brand but the standard of engineering has plummeted. I no longer recommend and of the latest Honda range.

What other examples of quality brands can you think of that've allowed standards to crash in order to seek short term profit?

Past quality - elekie&a/c doctor

All of them. I cant think of any mainstream manufacturers that make a car that lasts well past its warranty period. We are now all driving around in 4 wheel washing machines controlled by x number of on board computers.

Past quality - David Bronson

Now almost all automakers have experienced such changes. Worse quality, but more restylings and new models. But there is a logical explanation for this. Modern power plants are produced by other methods. Different gaps are kept to a minimum to reduce material consumption, as well as size and weight. As a result, engines become unrepairable. So it turns out that you repaired the engine earlier - and you can drive the same amount, but now you have to buy a new motor. Moreover, its cost is so high that it is easier to buy a new car.

Past quality - nellyjak

Couldn't agree more, SLO...and I don't think it's false, skewed perception of past vehicles I've so enjoyed having and driving.

vehicles have go so damn complicated.!!... think they call it progress.?

Totally agree about Volvos'...having had 3 or 4 in the past (the last one being a '99 V70).

Solid and dependable and gave me no hassle at all...and loved the symphony of that glorious 5 cylinder engine....would I buy a newer Volvo today.?...probably not.

Had a (E21.?) BMW 320 (1982)...again solid and dependable and no hassle...great 6 cylinder engine.

Saab...agree..fabulous cars totally messed up by GM..did have a 9-3 lpt vert however and was certainly one of the most comfortable cars I've had...and great to drive.

New stuff doesn't really float my boat these days....where's the character.?

But I confess I'm an old git these days with possible failing memory...lol

Past quality - thunderbird

I cant think of any mainstream manufacturers that make a car that lasts well past its warranty period.

I do not agree with that at all. The last 4 cars in our family prove its totally wrong.

Our last 2 cars were both 2008 Focus Mk2, a 1.6 TDCI and a 1.8 petrol. Sold the TDCi in February 2018 and the 1.8 in late 2019. Both are still on the road aged 14 years, well outside their warranty

Dad bought a Micra in September 2005, he sold it in November 2007 since mother could not cope with the large doors of the 3 door car. He replaced it with a 5 Door Micra. Both are still on the road, the 3 door is 16.5 years old and the 5 door 14.5 years old.

Edited by thunderbird on 03/02/2022 at 09:08

Past quality - pd

I think there is a bit of rose tinted glasses here.

Volvos - maybe. But the E39 although a fabulous car (and now increasingly worth a fortune) was always pretty fragile. Cooling system, oil leaks, rust on boot and other places, electrical gremlins, engine sensors, auto gearboxes were all quite fragile and they tend to need a major suspension overhaul at 80-100k to keep them driving nicely.

W124 likewise did loads of miles but needed maintenance. The later ones were also rust buckets. I can recall seeing many sub-10 year old examples from the mid-90s which when you lifted the bonnet there was just air where the inner wings used to be.

Most cars are actually quite well made these days and tend to get to far, far higher mileages before needing major replacements.

Edited by pd on 03/02/2022 at 09:10

Past quality - elekie&a/c doctor
My reference is really for cars made within the last 5-6 years . I’m currently running 2 mk 1 focus models , 03 and 04 . These really are indestructible , just a bit of tin worm starting to eat away at the sills .
Past quality - barney100

Had a Merc hybrid on loan, I wasn't impressed with the quality at all. Merc seem to use the same switchgear in many models and as has been said many older cars were better made. However on the other side I ran Fiats, Pandas mostly and a Mirafiore and the quality of those was terrible. All sorts of problems and major rust, they were quite cheap then and fitted the job then. No idea what the modern Fiats are like.

Past quality - Andrew-T

Now almost all automakers have experienced such changes.

All the marques listed by SLO fit in what I would call the mid-range between poor-man's cars and toff's, such as Rollers and the like. As profit margins on new vehicles steadily shrank, those makers either had to increase volume, or became unprofitable and sell out to the big boys, with the results described. Nearly all had to lower standards to keep going.

We all know that margins on new cars are modest, and have to be compensated by expensive parts, which are needed perhaps earlier than they used to be.

Past quality - edlithgow

Now almost all automakers have experienced such changes. Worse quality, but more restylings and new models. But there is a logical explanation for this. Modern power plants are produced by other methods. Different gaps are kept to a minimum to reduce material consumption, as well as size and weight. As a result, engines become unrepairable. So it turns out that you repaired the engine earlier - and you can drive the same amount, but now you have to buy a new motor. Moreover, its cost is so high that it is easier to buy a new car.

You say that as if it is an inevitable consequence of recent production techniques.

Doesn't make sense. They make them unrepairable because they choose to do so.

Past quality - Engineer Andy

You say that as if it is an inevitable consequence of recent production techniques.

Doesn't make sense. They make them unrepairable because they choose to do so.

I think there was a period of about 15 years where the (then) better makes didn't build in obsolesence and value-for-money wise built the best they thought they could sell to make a decent profit.

With increasing environmental and safety laws demanding more and more, cars have become overly complex in order to satisfy those demands. Add to that the seemingly never-ending game of one-upmanship on the other tech in cars, then I can't see much improving in terms of reliability for the next decade or so.

Add to that the often deliberate planned obsolesence by making many parts from make to make not interchangeable or ending support (without huge 'subscription' fees) for electronics 'upgrades' (read bug fixes as well as actual software upgradesor updates to maps) after a paltry 2-3 years, then things aren't getting better.

Jason from Engineering Explaining (YT) had a video on a computer hardware firm 'trying' to bridge this gap, though I'm not entirely sure it will do, even with EVs, because the business model for cars isn't the same as for mobile phones, laptops, etc.

Perhaps if legislators, car/parts makers and the public come to their senses on all these fronts, then perhaps. I'm not holding my breath though...

Past quality - John F

What other examples of quality brands can you think of that've allowed standards to crash in order to seek short term profit?

Rover. The high quality P4 was the zenith of the brand. My father's 105S had the soubriquet of 'the poor man's Bentley'. This sports saloon's twin carb six cylinder engine with the four speed plus overdrive gearbox allowed both hasty and relaxed progress. I remember the handbook's instruction ' for sustained speeds above 90mph inflate the tyres an extra 4 psi '.

Today's 'poor man's Bentley' is sadly, ahem....a German VW derivative with a W12 engine.

Past quality - badbusdriver

The high quality P4 was the zenith of the brand. My father's 105S had the soubriquet of 'the poor man's Bentley'.

Surely that was the P5?

Don't get me wrong, the P4 is my favourite Rover (and I'd love a 105S), but I'd have thought the P5 would be considered a step forward from it, or at least not a backwards step. Even the P6, while taking the company in a very different direction in terms of image and buyers, was a very well made car.

Past quality - Terry W

An £80k Merc (or BMW, Audi etc) gets from A to B no quicker than a £20k hatch (unless risking licence). Both can comfortably cover 400 miles in a journey without driver stress. The £20k hatch has most of the kit (gizmos excepted) enjoyed by the Merc driver.

The Merc is nicer. But its advantages over the ordinary are limited. To retain their market they need to keep costs down and gizmo count up.

The first owner may only keep the car a few years. Thereafter long term reliability is no longer a concern. If the first owner (or their company) can pay a large premium mostly to feed an ego, a low trade in value may be of limited concern.

Premium manufacturers give customers the quality and experience they think they demand. They are not charities - they do so to make a profit.

Our weakness as potential buyers is that we still embrace values that were once important and differentiated the premium from the ordinary - build quality, performance, reliability etc. These differentiators are now largely irrelevant.

A generality - younger folk have different values to the older who can afford premium motors. Premium manufacturers in a decade or two will need to meet these changed expectations.

Past quality - John F

The high quality P4 was the zenith of the brand. My father's 105S had the soubriquet of 'the poor man's Bentley'.

Surely that was the P5?

The P4 105S was a 100mph+ sports saloon - hence the 'S'.

The P5 was Rover's tank like limousine. The first ones had an I6 engine similar to the 2.6 litre 105S, but enlarged to 3 litres. The later ones used an adaptation of the Buick V8. That was christened 'the poor man's Rolls Royce' - which (like Jaguar) - wisely continued to use a smoother quieter I6 for the Silver Cloud.

Past quality - RT

Surely that was the P5?

The P4 105S was a 100mph+ sports saloon - hence the 'S'.

The P5 was Rover's tank like limousine. The first ones had an I6 engine similar to the 2.6 litre 105S, but enlarged to 3 litres. The later ones used an adaptation of the Buick V8. That was christened 'the poor man's Rolls Royce' - which (like Jaguar) - wisely continued to use a smoother quieter I6 for the Silver Cloud.

"wisely continued" ?

Rolls-Royce discontinued the I6 and switched to a V8 in 1959, some 8 years before Rover introduced the P5B

Past quality - SLO76
“ Rover. The high quality P4 was the zenith of the brand. My father's 105S had the soubriquet of 'the poor man's Bentley'. This sports saloon's twin carb six cylinder engine with the four speed plus overdrive gearbox allowed both hasty and relaxed progress. I remember the handbook's instruction ' for sustained speeds above 90mph inflate the tyres an extra 4 psi”

The P5 V8 was a glorious car, a real junior Rolls Royce. Hard to believe the same firm ended its days flogging the utterly crap City Rover.
Past quality - KBB

Not disagreeing with your general point, I think this is what happens when the world is run by accountants, but the XC60 you had was a 2015 model, correct?

This was when Volvo was still under Ford ownership, so to blame Geely is incorrect:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_XC60

Manufactured by subsidiary Volvo Car Gent in Ghent, Belgium, the first generation XC60 is based on Volvo's P3 platform and the XC60 shares technology with the Land Rover Freelander of 2007. At the time of development, both Land Rover and Volvo were owned by Ford...
Past quality - Metropolis.
The Chinese bought Volvo in 2010
Past quality - Falkirk Bairn

In the 60s/70s there was a garage near me that sold new BMC/BL cars - owned by 2 brothers they sold mainly second hand cars. They "lived well" - big houses / splash the cash - a laddie in my class was a son on one of the owners.

The original brothers were retiring and a son took over - closed down the 2nd hand garage outlet and built a small purpose built mini "crystal palace" for SAAB cars - the whole extended family drove about in SAABs including my next door neighbour. 900s/900 turbos. However they did not sell that many to the public - £20K+ for some of the cars was BMW/MB money- closed down in around 4/5 years.

The son's ambitions was to get away from selling 2nd hand cars from a rundown forecourt and sell SAABs -what he failed to appreciate was that the customer base they had did not have SAAB money to buy or run the cars. I am sure if he had more modern premises and sold a range of 2nd hand cars, as his dad & uncle had sold for 25/30 years, he could of been in business for a lot longer.

Past quality - SLO76
“ The Chinese bought Volvo in 2010”

Yup. It was designed when Ford were in control but it was built under Chinese control.
Past quality - pd

The 1st generation XC60 shares a lot with Ford and actually a very large amount with the Mk 2 Freelander as well.

It is based on the same platform as the Mk 3 4 Mondeo etc.

“ The Chinese bought Volvo in 2010” Yup. It was designed when Ford were in control but it was built under Chinese control.

There was only one facelift during the 9 year lifespan of the 1st gen XC60. And while this did happen after Geely acquired Volvo, it was just a facelift. So IMO it is really Ford who are responsible for its poor reliability, rather than Geely. If the current 2017 onward cars have similar reliability problems, then that is down to Geely.

To be fair, SLO, Hondas were excellent on the engineering front until the replacement for the Civic around 2006. Whilst there were still decent cars since, up until the 2017 Civic, they were, in my view no better, and sometimes worse than those they replaced.

The VTec era cars, especially the 'hot' ones like the Civic Type R, always seemed bulletproof. I still see many of the early 2000s era Type Rs around, albeit most now in the hands of the modder brigade.

The one thing I did notice was that the dash 'robustness' was better between the late 80s - late 90s than the decade after, when cheaper, less hardwearing plastics started to be used.

I must admit having a soft spot for those mid-80s Mercs and their bomb-proof quality. Probably why so many were used as both taxis and diplomatic vehicles across the world. I remember a former colleague buying a 190 back in the late 2000s that looked almost new, despite having done a LOT of miles. A local resident still owns a Merc (I cannot recall which though) of that era that looks just as good.

Past quality - Steveieb

I own a Japanese built 2003 Corolla Verso which I took as part payment for my A2 and I’m amazed at the quality of this ancient car and how well it has worn. Same with daughter in laws 22 year old Yaris. Both cars worth £1000 the two it’s hard to get your mind round how the older Japanese cars are so well made just like the 80 s Technics stack systems which never break.

But my personal favourite was my Mk 2 1992 Audi 80 tdi . Fully galvanised body , full sunroof 55 mpg, folding rear seats to the boot for long items and such comfortable seats.

When the car was replaced by the A4 in 1994 the Belgian Audi owners were so distraught when they saw the downturn in quality they protested to Ingolstad !

Past quality - Steveieb

Talking about the Audi 80

I found this one for sale

Past quality - Steveieb

Sorry can’t download the photo on bay.

But £6900 and others up to £70 k plus!

Past quality - jp2021

My 190E was the best built Mercedes I ve owned in 25 years . Each one since has got poorer. . Yes they needed lots of maintenance but for example the auto box fluid and filter did not need special kit to do.

Comparing the brochures it's clear what happened- they ve gone from 'How we make our marque' to 'buy now on a PCP'

Had several Peugeot diesels, 205,305 and 405- all drove well at over 100 000 miles , the 405 at 260 000 miles. New ones with cam belt in oil won't do that.

Past quality - SLO76
“ My 190E was the best built Mercedes I ve owned in 25 years . Each one since has got poorer.”

The 190 was a real quality product, I remember my dad looking at a new 190E 2.0 Auto in 1991 but it was just too much money. He did buy its replacement though a few years later which was much cheaper via readily available discounts you couldn’t get on the 190, the C180 Elegance auto which although well screwed together it rusted badly from 7/8yrs on. I looked at a used second gen C class myself but the interior quality was garbage by comparison, certainly no better than an equivalent Ford or Vauxhall. Mercedes quality is a thing of the past.
Past quality - Alby Back
I must have got lucky twice in row then. My 2011 E class proved faultless over 200,000 hard miles and my current 2016 one has been equally robust over its 160,000 miles to date.
In fact the only car I’ve had any bother with in the past 39 years was an Espace which was woeful.
The rest have just done what they were supposed to do.
Past quality - Steveieb

I agree about the Espace Ally.

Worse car I ever owned. Brilliant concept let down by atrocious electrics.

Once called the recovery three times en route to Exeter.

But galvanised chassis and plastic panels made it theoretically a car for life.

Past quality - pd

I bet, on average, a W212 gets to 160k or more with less issues than a W124.

Although a lot of those old Mercs could do the miles they had a habit of getting their like the old broom with 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

Past quality - MGspannerman

I am surprised there is not a more robust argument in support of Toyota. We must have had half a dozen or so in recent years, with a 65 Avensis petrol auto estate and 66 Yaris currently on the drive. Of all of those I have had two warranty claims. A failed injector on a RAV4 2.2 diesel and a replaced plastic disc, cost 95p, on a Yaris gear lever knob. The Yaris is now 12 years old and our daughters daily driver. Total repairs, other than routine maintenance and replacements, on all of these cars, maybe £1000.

However one satisfied customer is hardly evidence, but Toyota manufacturing systems are world leading and Lexota consistently top the reliability charts. The recent introduction of the 10yr/100k mile warranty is a significant value add for the private purchaser. Service costs have increased, but nowhere near the equivalent of an extended warranty.

Critical though is the quality of the dealer, I have been very pleased with the service of my local dealer. We bought the latest Yaris secondhand from a dealer, part of a large group, situated in a large, and much derided town, midway up and adjacent to the M3. Shocking service from them, if their brains were on fire I wouldn’t spit in their ear. The car is fine.

Toyota cars hardly set the pulse racing with excitement but taken in the round are a sound long term proposition. But it is not just manufacturing quality but also warranty and dealer service that completes the car using experience.

I am surprised there is not a more robust argument in support of Toyota.

That suggests you haven't got the jist of the the thread then. It isn't about who makes the best quality or most reliable cars. It is about manufacturers who have allowed standards to fall, who's cars used to be high quality, then became low, or lower quality.

Past quality - SLO76

I am surprised there is not a more robust argument in support of Toyota.

That suggests you haven't got the jist of the the thread then. It isn't about who makes the best quality or most reliable cars. It is about manufacturers who have allowed standards to fall, who's cars used to be high quality, then became low, or lower quality.

Yup, and aside from the occasional blip (MMT Auto, 2.2 Dcat diesel) Toyota have never sacrificed quality. I was happily recommending Corolla’s and Carina’s to buyers in the 90’s and I’m still recommending their descendants today. I’ve owned several and sold many and have yet (touch wood) to have anything more than wear and tear issues with any. Old Terrance the Toyota (my Avensis) feels and looks as fresh as a three year old car, there really is no real deterioration unlike most rivals which by 12yrs old and 100,000 miles would typically be feeling a bit loose and aged.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2022 at 08:00

Past quality - FiestaOwner

I am surprised there is not a more robust argument in support of Toyota................

..........Critical though is the quality of the dealer,

Won't get any support for Toyota from me. I've only bought the one (pre-reg 19 plate Yaris) owned it for 8 months (10,000 miles), had to get shot of it. It was a terrible car (engine loses power on pulling away causing kangaroo starts (dreaded having to stop at junctions), headlights you just couldn't see anything with.

I rate the following cars, ive owned, well ahead of it:

3 Ford's, 2 Renault's, 2 VAG, 2 Nissan

Unfortunately, where I stay most of the franchises are owned by 2 or 3 very large chains, so you can be assured of appalling service no matter which marque you go for.

A brand only gets one chance to make a good first impression. Having wasted money on a Toyota, I wouldn't buy another.

Past quality - SLO76
“ Won't get any support for Toyota from me. I've only bought the one (pre-reg 19 plate Yaris) owned it for 8 months (10,000 miles), had to get shot of it. It was a terrible car (engine loses power on pulling away causing kangaroo starts (dreaded having to stop at junctions), headlights you just couldn't see anything with.”

Very unusual to hear a complaint against a Yaris. I’ve never had a minutes bother with any I’ve sold and most were older examples. Several friends and colleagues have them (there’s a large local dealer) and they never say a bad word about them, in fact they are very loyal to the brand with replacement just another Toyota.

I’d say that they aren’t the nicest of things to drive, certainly a Fiesta is much more enjoyable than a Yaris (I’ve yet to try the new one) but drive a typical 7/8yr old example of both back to back and you’ll find the Toyota will generally feel much tighter and newer. The more complex suspension setup in the Ford and many rivals tends to deteriorate as it ages more rapidly with regular component replacement required to keep it knock and rattle free.

Did you ever have the cars problem diagnosed? You say it lost power pulling away causing kangarooing effect, what caused this? It’s not something I’ve ever encountered but I am aware the 1.4 diesels can suffer problems as they age, mostly relating to the limited DPF capacity. I found them pretty pointless things, they add complexity and aren’t much more economical than the excellent and utterly bombproof 1.33 petrol.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2022 at 10:44

Past quality - FiestaOwner
Very unusual to hear a complaint against a Yaris. I’ve never had a minutes bother with any I’ve sold and most were older examples. Several friends and colleagues have them (there’s a large local dealer) and they never say a bad word about them, in fact they are very loyal to the brand with replacement just another Toyota. I’d say that they aren’t the nicest of things to drive, certainly a Fiesta is much more enjoyable than a Yaris (I’ve yet to try the new one) but drive a typical 7/8yr old example of both back to back and you’ll find the Toyota will generally feel much tighter and newer. The more complex suspension setup in the Ford and many rivals tends to deteriorate as it ages more rapidly with regular component replacement required to keep it knock and rattle free.

SLO, you had a bad experience with a used Volvo and have said on here that you wouldn't buy another Volvo. That is my position with Toyota. The brand reputation means nothing, if the car they sell me is a duffer.

Past quality - SLO76
“ SLO, you had a bad experience with a used Volvo and have said on here that you wouldn't buy another Volvo. That is my position with Toyota. The brand reputation means nothing, if the car they sell me is a duffer.”

Absolutely, and even the best of manufacturers can build the occasional duffer. I’m just curious as to what was causing the kangarooing effect and loss of power. I always take interest in cars faults reported by others. My Volvo's issues are fairly widespread according to forums which I should really have visited before buying. The bulk of my experience with Volvo’s related to older and much simpler examples from the past and my thoughts on the brand were based on the image the built up when they made good cars. My XC60 when fully scrutinised on the driveway was not a well built car rather than just a bad example.

I know of a good example of an otherwise reliable car that turned out to be the opposite. I sourced a very tidy 11 plate Suzuki Swift 1.3 GL for a colleague a while back with 59,000 miles, full history and known longterm previous ownership. Everything that could fail on this wee car has apparently done so according to him, it has been a proper pig. I do suspect the garage he’s using are taking him for a ride however. They fitted a new clutch a few months back and are telling him the recent loss of drive is now a gearbox failure, I suspect they’ve made an a*** of fitting said clutch or it was substandard. Even the most reliable brands can catch you out. I shudder every time i see him now but at least the wee car was very cheap.
Past quality - Falkirk Bairn

I bought a run-out Civic estate car (Aerodeck to give it it's name) late 2000, as a go to work car, for under £11K new- about £5K off new price. Ran almost perfectly in that time - only real expense was exhausts - it ate rear boxes every 18mth/2 years - and they were Unipart who made the original exhausts for Honda.

I ran it for almost 7 years and 93K - I looked at the reg a few years back and the last MoT was some 150K and almost perfect pass record - fails were minor bushes, worn uneven tyres etc. It then disappeared 2015

Yesterday in a carpark there was an even older Civic estate, same colour but even older, roughly 23/24 years old. Owner jumped in fired first time and of they went. It was on the tatty side but first time start!

Past quality - SLO76
“ only real expense was exhausts - it ate rear boxes every 18mth/2 years”

This is a thing I used to notice on Honda’s, they did seem to eat exhausts, often you’d hear a wee blow on any presented as a part ex. I can’t say I’ve noticed it as much on later examples so the supplier must’ve changed or upped their game.
Past quality - nellyjak

Won't get any support for Toyota from me.

That's a shame but I totally get your view.

I've bought only Toyotas' for many years now..including 4 Yaris models..and have had utterly reliable service from all of them..so I'm an out and out fan as you might expect.

It's certainly not impossible to get a rogue from any manufacturer of course but can quite understand that if you do then it influences your opinion negatively for ever.!

I would be no different.!

Edited by nellyjak on 06/02/2022 at 11:17

Past quality - SLO76
“ It's certainly not impossible to get a rogue from any manufacturer of course but can quite understand that if you do then it influences your opinion negatively for ever.!”

My dad had a bad Ford in the 1960’s and never got past the experience. Even when looking at them in the 80’s and 90’s he just couldn’t take in that they weren’t the same vehicle much to my dismay as he looked at some pretty nice examples.

1989 new Ford Orion 1600E and Sapphire 2000E and a used Scorpio 2.9 V6, he bought a Volvo 240 GLT instead.

1993 new Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia - I tried to convince him the Mondeo was the best car he could buy at the time but he went for a Civic 1.6 VTi instead which he never really gelled with. It was low slung, plasticky and firm riding. I liked it as a teenager but he wasn’t that sort of driver. The Mondeo 1.8 LX would’ve suited him better for less money.

I say that I won’t have another Volvo, I probably shouldn’t be so blunt but I don’t see myself doing so with the current highly complex and costly to repair range. Simplicity is gone and quality is lower than past examples, much as with most prestige brands. But that could change as they go electric and hybrid.

Past quality - sandy56

My son runs a 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 and still loves it but although very reliable he now needs a bigger car for family and a v large dog. He despairs of finding someing reliable and affordable in modern cars. His current short list is estate versions of VW Passat ( not recommended) Ford Mondeo maybe VX Isignia ( Not sure?) Toyota Avensis if he can find one, SKoda Octavia or SUperb. A big gamble whichever he gets. Cars are too complex now and expensive to keep running after about 3-4 years old. Meanwhile the yanks keep cars going with 10 yrs + and 200K miles plus.

Won't get any support for Toyota from me.

That's a shame but I totally get your view.

I've bought only Toyotas' for many years now..including 4 Yaris models..and have had utterly reliable service from all of them..so I'm an out and out fan as you might expect.

It's certainly not impossible to get a rogue from any manufacturer of course but can quite understand that if you do then it influences your opinion negatively for ever.!

I would be no different.!

What will be a guide to how bias and the dealership experience affects how a car is viewed - reliability and robustness-wise is the latest Yaris hybrid, because Mazda, who now have a partnership with Toyota on hybrids are now going to sell that car rebadged as a Mazda2 hybrid - but still selling (for now at any rate) their 'ordinary' Mazda2 (Mazda-designed) alongside.

The interior looks nearly identical too. What's the betting that the 'Mazda' will prove less favoutable in the eyes of owners, due to their lower reputation in comparison to Toyota's, especially as regards to dealers.

Past quality - madf

We have 4 Japanese cars in our family:

Two Yaris : 2003,2012

One Jazz 2012

One Civic 2011

All very reliable. Original exhausts , clutches etc..

What will be a guide to how bias and the dealership experience affects how a car is viewed - reliability and robustness-wise is the latest Yaris hybrid, because Mazda, who now have a partnership with Toyota on hybrids are now going to sell that car rebadged as a Mazda2 hybrid - but still selling (for now at any rate) their 'ordinary' Mazda2 (Mazda-designed) alongside.

The interior looks nearly identical too. What's the betting that the 'Mazda' will prove less favoutable in the eyes of owners, due to their lower reputation in comparison to Toyota's, especially as regards to dealers.

Doesn't really matter how the sales of Mazda's Yaris compares to Toyota's Yaris, what matters is how big a percentage of total Mazda car sales they account for. It is a very easy way for Mazda to reduce their total fleet emissions, while (in theory) also increasing total sales.

But for what it is worth, I don't see the average small car buyer caring too much if the badge says Mazda or Toyota. The kind of people interested enough to differentiate between the brands will surely know that Mazda (with one or two exceptions) make reliable cars, like Toyota. I see prices, spec, and dealership location having a bigger impact on the decision making process than the badge. When the time comes to replace our Suzuki Ignis, either Yaris, or Yaris clone could be on the cards, and it will come down solely to which deal is better.

Interestingly, both brands are under the same (Arnold Clark) roof in Aberdeen!.

Past quality - MGspannerman

"I am surprised there is not a more robust argument in support of Toyota.

That suggests you haven't got the jist of the the thread then."

Thank you BBD for your comment on my previous post. I was responding to a couple of other posts higher up the thread -

"All of them. I cant think of any mainstream manufacturers that make a car that lasts well past its warranty period. "

and to a lesser extent "Now almost all automakers have experienced such changes. Worse quality, but more restylings and new models."

It seems perfectly reasonable for me to comment in the way I did concerning the quality of a particular manufacturers product, and to add further about warranty and service both of which support not just the quality of the vehicle but, taking it one step further, the experience of ownership. I appreciate a hassle free, value for money motoring experience in addition to factors such as economy, reliability and safety.

I wont recount the negative stories concerning Rover (SD1), Alfa (3l 164), Jaguar (XJ6), Mercedes (W124) and various other cars I have owned or used as company vehicles. All of which has been countered by my experience with Toyota. I quite understand that others may not share this view having had different experiences.

I don't accept your rebuke, if that is what it is, as a forum is a place for discussion and that is what I and others have been doing. i am sorry you didn't appreciate that from my post. I am very comfortable that I have read, understood and responded to the posts above. And now I am responding to yours.

By the way it is "gist" and not "jist".

Past quality - Andrew-T

<< I don't see the average small car buyer caring too much if the badge says Mazda or Toyota. >>

You may well be right about these two, BBD, but there is certainly an amount of badge snobbery out there, even among people who know which models share platforms and engines etc. My daughter was quite happy driving a Golf Plus, but you (I) would never persuade her to drive any Skoda - or probably Seat either.

Past quality - Galad

I've had 4 new Toyota Avensis's. At least 70k on each. No repairs other than tyres and bulbs. Even brake pads and discs lasted 70k before I sold the cars. Before those I had rubbish Vauxhalls with crap build quality and failing parts like gaskets, door locks, air con and electronics. If Toyota/Lexus can make cars that don't break why don't other car makers use Toyotas's methods by reverse engineering their designs?

Toyota manufactured tanks for the Japanese military during WW2. They had to ensure their products could endure the battle fiield with reliability so they invented the 'supplier association' model which forced their supplier chain to come together and identify improvements to their own manufacturing and logistics processes which could support Toyota's products.

Toyota produced the Avensis, Auris and Corolla in Derby and its engines in Wales. British skills making the world's most reliable cars, guaranteed for 5 years unlike Ford, Vauxhall, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen, JLR, Bentley and Ferarri etc etc etc who clearlry don't have confidence in their vehicles beyond their 3 year warranties. Nissan (formerly Datsun) and Mitsubishi used to make very reliable cars before they 'merged' with Renault and then everything went south. My brother has had horrendous issues with his Nissan Juke.

<< I don't see the average small car buyer caring too much if the badge says Mazda or Toyota. >>

You may well be right about these two, BBD, but there is certainly an amount of badge snobbery out there, even among people who know which models share platforms and engines etc. My daughter was quite happy driving a Golf Plus, but you (I) would never persuade her to drive any Skoda - or probably Seat either.

Especially when aside from the differences in styling they are the same car underneath, and often quite a bit cheaper to buy and maintain. The only difference would be how each local dealership treats their customers.

My point generally was that some long-time buyers of a particular make, e.g. Honda or Toyota, tend to expect high engineering quality and reliability, perhaps a bit less so with Mazda, but more on the driving dynamics and styling front.

I remember the Mazda 121 from the late 90s, which was just a rebadged Ford Fiesta. Very few of the former sold compared to the latter. Nice little cars though (my dad owned a 1.25 LX), excellent at handling (even on 155/70 R13 tyres) and more than nippy enough.

Past quality - blindspot

paid a first visit to to toyota main dealer recently. it was the best main dealer experience

Oh, I don't doubt that at all Andrew, but in terms of image and desirability, VW have always been considered 'a cut above' the likes of Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall, Skoda etc. But I'm just not convinced that the same level of snobbery exists in the minds of potential buyers between the Japanese makes. How often does someone come on the forum to say they are thinking about a Nissan Qashqai, as it is Japanese (and therefore reliable).

I'm also very much of the opinion that the average buyer who is just looking for 'a car', is lazy!. By that I mean that if there is a Mazda dealer in town, but the nearest Toyota dealer is 10 miles away in the next town, that will be the deciding factor between the Yaris and its Mazda clone (assuming the Mazda is a similar price).

Past quality - Steveieb

I have to be already a great fan of all things Japanese either motoring or through my experience of garden machinery products from Honda, Kawasaki etc and looking back at the quality of the Technics and other stack music systems of the eighties which are still going strong.

But how about Korean products ? Remembering my work colleague reporting seeing a Cortina being produced by Hyundai to today when they are world wide.

But recent stories on this site about engine blow ups followed by refusal by the dealer to replace the engine under warranty because the customer missed the scheduled service because of the pandemic , resulting in bills of £6k

But have the rusting and clutch problems now been sorted along with other manufacturing problems affecting engine life ?

Past quality - John F

Oh, I don't doubt that at all Andrew, but in terms of image and desirability, VW have always been considered 'a cut above' the likes of Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall, Skoda etc.

First I've heard of it. VWs (aka the people's car) are at exactly the same level. That's probably why their Glass Factory flagship VW Phaeton, even though a better car than its BMW and MB competitors, was such a commercial failure. Make its body a different shape and call it a 'Bentley' and Robert is your mother's brother.

But I'm just not convinced that the same level of snobbery exists in the minds of potential buyers between the Japanese makes.

Oh yes it does. Badge snobbery is still alive and well. That's why Toyota call its posh cars Lexus, upmarket Hondas are called Acura, and luxury Nissans are labelled Infiniti. Mazda tried the same wheeze with 'Amati', but it failed.

Edited by John F on 07/02/2022 at 12:17

Oh, I don't doubt that at all Andrew, but in terms of image and desirability, VW have always been considered 'a cut above' the likes of Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall, Skoda etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I've heard of it. VWs (aka the people's car) are at exactly the same level. That's probably why their Glass Factory flagship VW Phaeton, even though a better car than its BMW and MB competitors, was such a commercial failure. Make its body a different shape and call it a 'Bentley' and Robert is your mother's brother.

I'm surprised at that John, I was under the impression you'd been a forum member for longer than me, and I've seen plenty posts from people who clearly assume VW to be a higher quality and more desirable car than rivals. And just to be clear, I don't agree with that, this is my impression from folk who are not 'car folk'.

But I'm just not convinced that the same level of snobbery exists in the minds of potential buyers between the Japanese makes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes it does. Badge snobbery is still alive and well. That's why Toyota call its posh cars Lexus, upmarket Hondas are called Acura, and luxury Nissans are labelled Infiniti. Mazda tried the same wheeze with 'Amati', but it failed.

Toyota don't make Lexus's (Lexii?) to tempt buyers away from Toyota's, they make them to tempt buyers away from Audi's, BMW's and Merc's. People don't buy them because they wanted a Toyota but the badge was too downmarket, they buy them because they want to stand out as being a bit different from the sea of German executive rivals.

Also, I was referring to small cars, specifically the Toyota Yaris vs the Mazda badged version, and there is no Lexus badged version.

Past quality - Metropolis.
I think a lot of people buy Lexus because they offer reliability and good customer service, something you don’t really get with other luxury brands, at least not as consistently anyway. I recall sitting in the waiting area and the chap next to me saying his 100k mile plus Lexus IS, which he had for several years, needed brake work due to a sticking calliper or similar. The dealer did not even charge him. He was well and truly won over and adamant he would buy another when the time comes.
Past quality - pd

Lexus is to tempt people away from Audi, BMW (and mainly, originally, Mercedes) because the Toyota badge won't.

Branding applies to everything and sometimes there is only so far you can go - hence the failure of the VW Phaeton mentioned above.

Many of the models sold here as a Lexus are a Toyota in other markets.

Past quality - galileo

A former colleague has had a couple of Lexus's, when a service is due the dealer comes 15 miles to his house, takes it and services it and delivers it back.

Don't think you get the same from many other makes or from Toyota.

Past quality - RT

A former colleague has had a couple of Lexus's, when a service is due the dealer comes 15 miles to his house, takes it and services it and delivers it back.

Don't think you get the same from many other makes or from Toyota.

Ironically, I used to get that with my Hyundai Santa Fe - but that was because the service manager lived nearby.

Past quality - Andrew-T

A former colleague has had a couple of Lexus's, when a service is due the dealer comes 15 miles to his house, takes it and services it and delivers it back. .

Presumably he pays for that ? If he doesn't, someone else does ....

Past quality - Xileno

This post is really from Steveieb dated 8th Feb 11:07 that got lost in posting. There is no way of changing the author (wouldn't that be fun...)

"Lexus are so impressive but spares cost can be frightening.
My friend recently paid £2500 for a new exhaust on his V6 convertible and I’ve heard other stories of huge costs if it’s not possible to source a pattern.
But all being well you shouldn’t need many.
But when I was offered a Is 220 diesel I was advised by back roomers to steer clear.
So they don’t get everything right.
The news from Japan is that Toyota Land Cruisers have a four year waiting list !
And owners here of the old hi lux are getting annoyed with being asked to sell on a twice weekly basis !"

Edited by Xileno on 08/02/2022 at 11:56