Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - noel sigamoney

good morning, this is my first post/question on these forum.

i am due to have my car go in for a service/m.o.t. tomorrow and i have been advised that the car that Nissan will give me is a Micra. they have told me that it will have a quarter tank of fuel and that i will need to re-fill before i return it. I understand this. i have tried to explain that this may be an issue in the current situation.

my question is this

how far can i expect to travel with a quarter tank of fuel in a Micra and not run out, using average speed, tyres and wet weather conditions. i need to be able to travel 55miles at least to get from point A to Point B and then back to point A.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Noel

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Falkirk Bairn

Fuel tank capacity is of no use to you.

110 miles @ 40mpg - put in 12 litres and the tank should be roughly a 1/4 on returning the car

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Andrew-T

I would guess that 55 miles in a Micra would need about 5 litres, assuming 'normal' traffic. The full tank is probably 45-55 litres. But a reading of a quarter-tank is rather unpredictable, it could be rather more, as gauges usually err on the side of safety.

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Falkirk Bairn

Bit of a hassle but to minimise the chances of putting in an extra litre you could do the following.

1) Assume the car is 1/4 full

2) Add 5 litres of petrol. Drive 55 miles

3) When you arrive look at gauge - is it at/above/below 1/4.

4) Drive back and add 4,5 or 6 litres depending on point 3.

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Big John

Bit of a hassle but to minimise the chances of putting in an extra litre you could do the following.

1) Assume the car is 1/4 full

2) Add 5 litres of petrol. Drive 55 miles

3) When you arrive look at gauge - is it at/above/below 1/4.

4) Drive back and add 4,5 or 6 litres depending on point 3.

Am I miss reading but I think the original poster was trying to avoid visiting a fuel station in these panic buying times - the above involves two trips!

A quarter of a tank shown on the fuel gauge doesn't mean a quarter of a tank remains as gauges can be very non linear. Myself I'd try and put about 6 litres in at some point in the journey presuming the Micra was averaging about 40ish mpg with total journey length of 55 miles.

Edited by Big John on 29/09/2021 at 10:17

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Andrew-T

<< I'd try and put about 6 litres in at some point in the journey presuming the Micra was averaging about 40ish mpg with total journey length of 55 miles. >>

But you would have to do it twice, as the OP is returning to point A ! Total journey 110 miles or thereabouts.

If the car has a handbook or some other source of info, find out the maker's Urban petrol consumption figure. Record the mileometer reading when you collect the car (or zero the tripmeter), complete your journey, work out the total miles covered and divide by the consumption figure. Buy that number of litres, the garage will probably make a small profit.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/09/2021 at 15:11

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - Engineer Andy

I would guess that 55 miles in a Micra would need about 5 litres, assuming 'normal' traffic. The full tank is probably 45-55 litres. But a reading of a quarter-tank is rather unpredictable, it could be rather more, as gauges usually err on the side of safety.

If it's the latest Micra, the tank capacity is only 41L (my K11 mid 90s car had a 42L tank capacity), but unless the OP intends to drive in very heavy traffic throughout their loan period, then I suspect they should get around high 40s mpg minimum, and likely around 50 or so in mixed driving.

Essentially 10-11L should be good for about 105 miles, possibly 120 with luck. I think though that they should err on the side of caution, even if the guages do so as well. TBH most garages only do a coursary check to see if the needle is around 1/4 - a bit above or below probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

Nissan Micra - Fuel Tank Capacity - John F

Sadly, my suggestion will be too late. Assuming your car has sufficient and compatible fuel and you have suitable container(s) and pipe, syphon out two gallons from the car you are submitting for service and pour them into the Micra.