My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - Steve9999
Hi Everyone,

So to cut a long story short we recently (in September) bought a 5 month old car from a main dealer.

Just before Xmas we received a refund on the road tax .... very odd

We called the dvla to find out why they had refunded the road tax and they said it was because the car had been reported as scrapped on their system and asked us to send photos of the car/Vin etc sitting on our drive.

DVLA are not exactly being helpful. Will not tell who/where reported the car as scrapped. However needless to say they are telling us the car cannot be driven on the road. To say we are a tad miffed is an understatement as we had road trip holiday planned.

This is not any issue with the main dealer.

Has anyone had anything similar or any advice on this?

Thanks

Steve
My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - Bromptonaut
Has anyone had anything similar or any advice on this? Thanks Steve

Obviously this is utterly frustrating but DVLA will be subject to all sorts of 'try ons' as well as occasional mistakes over this sort of thing. There is a process to resolve queries and you will need to allow time for that process to progress. That's why they need the photographs etc.

The office would have been closed and/or on skeleton staffing from 24/12 to 02/01 and you're issue came to light just before Xmas. I dare say they won't be back to normal until Monday when schools return.The (say) 10 working day target for this to be investigated will therefore be longer in terms calendar days.

Don't hassle them unnecessarily over the who reported/who is to blame question until the issue is resolved. At that point ask them for an explanation and if needs be seek compensation. Follow their compliants process and involve your MP if you think it would help.

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - Steve9999
Hi Bromptonaut,

Thanks, Yes skeleton staff. They said they would acknowledge receipt of the “evidence” within 48 hours. That’s over a week ago and so far....... tumble weed

The main dealer has been very helpful, even offering a loan car in the meantime even though it’s not really their problem.

If i go to the Legal Matters home page this question shows as having two replies the most recent of which is at 12:49. If however I open the thread the only reply showing is my own from 09:41 today.

Is it just me?

EDIT: As soon as I added this post then Steve 9999's response at 12:49 appeared.

Weird.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/01/2020 at 15:37

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - FP

"Is it just me?"

No, it isn't. I was in a similar position yesterday in replying to a post. Modifications to the information had been added but those posts were not visible.

It seems the website software is not promptly updating the display of posts.

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - Avant

I'm glad it isn't just me! I'll let Kalpesh know.

I'm glad it isn't just me! I'll let Kalpesh know.

If it helps I'm on a PC using Windows 10 and Chrome. Both should update automatically.

I'm on W10 and Opera (which is Chrome-derived).

Not sure that it should make any difference - it seems to me the website is doing (or failing to do) something.

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - Gibbo_Wirral

Someone else had the same problem on here a few months back.

Someone else had the same problem on here a few months back.

I had a sense of deja vu too. Possibly this thread?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/132468/corsa-d-2012---been

It happened again today with another thread - the Mazda CX-5 one in Motoring. There was a reply added at 11:43 which was not visible to me until about an hour afterwards, even though the Motoring list of threads showed it should have been there.

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - sammy1

I too have had problems with missing threads recently. It says on the header that there is a new answer at such a time but when I go looking it is not there to read!

IT does not help when on long threads say 40 replies that members are allowed to jump in at say answer 10. I have often gone through the whole lot to find a reply and it is not there!!

"IT does not help when on long threads say 40 replies that members are allowed to jump in at say answer 10. I have often gone through the whole lot to find a reply and it is not there!!"

You need to do a search for the latest item, which is given (date and time) at the head of the forum section, e.g. Motoring, Legal Matters. That will enable you to find the post you wish to reply to - provided it is displayed, which is what we're complaining about.

Edited by FP on 09/01/2020 at 14:33

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - HGV ~ P Valentine

I have to ask why you did not check the mot history online, it is a free service offered online by a gov department.

What level of scrappage, I had one that was scrapped because it was beyond economical value after it got hit when parked, but it was still deemed roadworthy ?

I also do not think DVLA can tell you that info due to confidentially laws.

I would suggest you ask your insurance to find out the full details of why the car cannot go back on the road, they might even be able to get you the details. I would strongly advise you to do as DVLA say and keep the car off road.

I can make some enquiries online if you give me the reg but not promising anything.

My car was mistakenly scrapped by dvla - RichardW

You've mis read the post - the scrappage is an administrative error by DVLA (or someone else inputting the wrong reg number on the website)

Ah ok, Apologies probably a clerical error. Most admin staff are on minimum wage and you get what you pay for

Ah ok, Apologies probably a clerical error. Most admin staff are on minimum wage and you get what you pay for

Bit like lorry drivers really :-)

Ooh - sharp.

Actually that is so true, you see how good or bad they are when they back onto a loading bay.