Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - domingo001

Hi,

I have had clients who have not paid us and been through 3 debt collection agencies and still no results. I am even now trying to find a debt collection agency to chase another debt collection agency who owes us money!! I was told that even when you take someone to small claims court you still are not guaranteed to get your money!

Any hope out there?

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Stephen R. Wendt

Hi,

I have had clients who have not paid us and been through 3 debt collection agencies and still no results. I am even now trying to find a debt collection agency to chase another debt collection agency who owes us money!! I was told that even when you take someone to small claims court you still are not guaranteed to get your xxxx.

Any hope out there?

don't know about hope but, you have best point about debt.

(Spam link deleted from quote which wasn't in the original!)

Edited by Avant on 24/07/2019 at 22:19

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - FP

I once initiated a small-claims case against an individual who owed me money, got a judgement in my favour, but never saw any repayment. I would have had to escalate the case to a higher court and pay bailiffs, and as the individual concerned probably didn't enough money to cover the costs it wasn't worth it.

You have to be realistic about such matters. Even if you are totally in the right, morally and legally, there is no point in throwing good money after bad, as they say.

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - concrete

Just like FP we used the Small Claims Court several times to recover money owed. It usually worked when the defendant had assets or cash to pay the debt. Twice escalated to bailiffs, once we got the money the other time there was no money or anything else. The old motto is still true: You can't get blood from a stone! Worth checking the individual assets or financial position before commencing a claim.

Cheers Concrete

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Falkirk Bairn

Parents of a friend took a former tenant to court for rent arrears & damage.

Did not get any money but ensured a black mark on their credit records would possibly stop them being given credit or a home to rent in the future.

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - taylor941

Right, post your negative comment to their site

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Engineer Andy

Right, post your negative comment to their site

Given you've said this twice today on different threads hyjacked by spammers, why has my spam-o-meter been dinging away again?

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - traceyjedison

Only help that I can give to you is to contact the scottishtrustdeed.co.uk

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Bromptonaut

Bit of a long read but this piece from the Law Society Gazette discusses reasons why enforcement is so problematic:

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/features/roads-to-recovery/5071140.article

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - nick62

Another blow for the "working man" so to speak.

The wealthy have solicitors for this kind of thing (who probably cost the equivalent of loose change)?

The loss of Legal Aid for normal folk is just another farce in how this country is governed.

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Falkirk Bairn

Collection of debts can be expensive.

Defending yourself in court can be ruinous for anybody with assets.

Being found not guilty does not allow you to recover legal fees.

Justice for the "the great unwashed" is fully covered by Legal Aid.

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - focussed

If the client that owes you money is a limited company and the debt is at least £750 you can apply to the high court for a winding up order. Not to be undertaken lightly, as it is expensive and slow. My company did it once to make the point that we wouldn't be messed about by a competitor - it worked. Any individual or company can apply for aa winding up order.

Debt Collection - A Waste of Time? - Bromptonaut

Justice for the "the great unwashed" is fully covered by Legal Aid.

If it was ever the case in England it certainly is not now.