Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - iky

Received a £100 parking charge via UKCPS for allegedly parking in a disabled bay without a valid badge displayed.

The letter included a photo of my number plate but not of where I was supposedly parked.

Letter states I was parked at site location of Station Road - there is no Station Road in Lincoln City centre.

On the day in question I had gone into Lincoln but did not park anywhere at any time - I had taken my wife into town & dropped her off opposite Lincoln rail station on a road called St Mary's Street where there is a taxi rank, which at the time was virtually empty & was stopped for maybe 50 seconds just to allow her to get out of the car - I did not get out & engine was running & drove away immediately she shut the door. ( St Mary's street is the street that runs alongside the station - but I did not at any time enter the stations parking area, even to drive through).

There are obviously parking cameras in the area covering the stations parking area but how can UKCPS possibly try to imply I was in a disabled parking slot & what can I do to disprove this ridiculous affair & not pay them?

Here is a link to a Google map that shows the paved taxi rank area where I stopped briefly - the station & its parking area are to the left of the picture: https://goo.gl/maps/sp2Qs6E6Z2M2

If anyone can advise I would be grateful, thank you.

IKY

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - Palcouk
There will be an option to apeal the penalty, in this case based on what you have said, you state that "no offence was commited, as you were not at the location named and thus could not have been seen in any disabled bay."
Of course the standard reply to that will be to state that the charge stands, you will therefore have to follow the appeals process that is given in any letter (You appeal to the local parking tribunal)
Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - Bromptonaut

The Parking Charge Notice will explain how UKPCS deal with representations and appeals. You just have to follow the process.

As far as I can see from their website they're accredited operators as members of the International Parking Community (IPC) although they have a British Parking Association (BPA) logo too. The BPA appeals system still retains a reasonable degree of fairness, though not as good as when it was operated by the London Councils' adjudicators. IPC's though is completely opaque as to identity of its adjudicators or how they work and has a very poor success rate for appellants.

If you lose the appeal they still have to take you to court to obtain recovery at which point you get a hearing with a proper judge.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - Gerry Sanderson

>>>>>>>where there is a taxi rank, which at the time was virtually empty & was stopped for maybe 50 seconds just to allow her to get out of the car - I did not get out & engine was running & drove away immediately she shut the door.<<<<<<

If you stopped in the area reserved for taxi's then that will be prohibited in the traffic order unless it gives exemption to drop off. Check the order held by local council.

dvd

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - MGspannerman

So they have a photo of your number plate, but not a wider shot to show you were in a disabled bay. Also no shot of the dashboard to show that a badge was not being displayed. This hardly adds up to evidence, especially alongside your assertion supported by your wide of course. Good luck with your appeal.

If you stopped in the area reserved for taxi's then that will be prohibited in the traffic order unless it gives exemption to drop off. Check the order held by local council.

dvd

OP says ticket was issued by UKCPS, a private enforcement company. I'd expect infringement of a traffic order to be a matter for the Council or, very rarely these days, Police or Traffic Wardens.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - daveyjp
Join MSE and take advice from their boards:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - Gerry Sanderson

>>>>>OP says ticket was issued by UKCPS, a private enforcement company. I'd expect infringement of a traffic order to be a matter for the Council or, very rarely these days, Police or Traffic Wardens.>>>>>

Dont some councils employ privaste firms to enforce?????

dvd

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - concrete

Bromptonaut is correct. This is a Parking Charge Notice not a Penalty Charge Notice. Huge difference. This is basically an invoice for some perceived damages for breaching some notional contract about parking. Appeal it all the way. If there is no such place as Station Road in Lincoln how could you possibly have even been there never mind parked a car there? I think and court would throw this so called 'evidence' out of court. Stick at it though because they will try to grind you down with heavy handed letters threatening to burn your house down, shoot the dog and your kids etc etc. All hot air if they have no case to pursue.

Let us know how you get on. It could be useful for someone else in the same boat.

Cheers Concrete

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - paul 1963

Concrete is spot on, fight it all the way my friend

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - daveyjp
If it is railway land it could be a bonus to the OP. I really hope they are getting proper advice if they are determined not to pay.

Dont some councils employ privaste firms to enforce?????

dvd

They do but only to extent of contracting out the employment etc of the Enforcement Officers. Contracted CEOs issue Penalty Charge Notices with force of law, not Parking Charge notices which for all their similarity are an invoice under a presumed contract.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - SLO76
I realise the law is different up here in Scotland but I’ve had several of these parking invoices over the years and I’ve yet to pay one. On typical form they will follow up with two or three more letters then another couple from a so called debt collection firm but no further action will occur as the cost to reclaim the amount is far higher than they’ll be awarded. Some pay up but most do not. But as I say the law differs in your case so I’m not sure how you would get on with just ignoring it as I have.
I realise the law is different up here in Scotland but I’ve had several of these parking invoices over the years and I’ve yet to pay one. On typical form they will follow up with two or three more letters then another couple from a so called debt collection firm but no further action will occur as the cost to reclaim the amount is far higher than they’ll be awarded. Some pay up but most do not. But as I say the law differs in your case so I’m not sure how you would get on with just ignoring it as I have.

AIUI since the Supreme Court decision in Beavis the companies in England and Wales are bullish about issuing County Court proceedings. I'd also add there's anecdotal evidence of District Judges getting impatient with defendants in these cases who 'try it on' with faux legalese defences copied from the internet.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - Brit_in_Germany

I think for this thread the key question is whether the taxi rank is legally part of the public road or part of the station car park. If the latter, then the private company may be authorised to issue parking charge notices and follow these up through the courts.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - RT

The OP's PCN refers to parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge displayed - if the OP wasn't in a disabled bay the rest is irrelevant.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - RichardW

I would reply with something along the lines of:

"Thanks for the photo of my car's number plate. However, given that:

a) there is no indication as to where the photo was taken

b) there is no Station Road in Lincoln

c) I did not park in any disabled bay on the day in question

I assume that the Parking Charge is incorrect, and will therefore be cancelled forthwith"

I'm sure they'll not swallow it, but it will occupy some of their admin time! On Google street view, there is a sign in the taxi rank that says 'No waiting except Taxis' so they may just have pushed the wrong button in issuing the form.

Dacia Sandero - Parking charge - concrete

Quite right RichardW. An official camera for law enforcement is useless unless it displays the location, time and date and any other relevant information, if not it cannot be admitted in evidence. There is so much wrong with this case. No proper location shown, no such address in the vicinity, no disabled bay in a taxi rank. The whole thing is huge try on!

Cheers Concrete