"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Bilboman

On my last trip to the UK I had a scary moment on an unsignposted roundabout, one of a series running from Rugby past DIRFT East to the M1 (where the A428 crosses the A5). A very pushy van driver came tearing up the left hand lane and suddenly indicated right. Once on the roundabout he nudged past several cars (including mine) and peeled off on the third exit on the last stretch of the A5 towards the M1 - in other words, he stayed in the LEFT lane to turn RIGHT. (The roundabout has four exits, equally spaced at 3, 6 9 and 12 o'clock.)
As he came quite close to my car at one point I made a very gentle warning toot of the "I say, ahem, cough, would you mind awfully?" variety and was rewarded with numerous hand gestures and unintelligible insults yelled through the passenger window. The driver veered towards my lane a couple of times to reinforce whatever point he was making. My ignoring them seemed to inflame the driver even more.
The roundabout has no signposting or direction arrows; it is wide enough for two lanes, but there are no markings. 90% of the traffic seems to be motorway bound. I have subsequently been informed that drivers are "allowed" to use the left lane to go right, so "Local knowledge" seems to trump the Highway Code. Which is great for local drivers, and madness for everyone else. I can't help wondering how a collision would pan out in a situation like that. The council(s) seem to have abrogated all responsibility, figuring that drivers will just work it out amongst themselves.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Andrew-T

There's a roundabout like this very near here, at J12 on the M56. It is fully equipped with traffic lights and a straight-through lane across the middle. To join the M'way eastwards from the south side one comes under the M'way (to turn right) but one has to take the slip-road left onto a recently-enlarged and rearranged r'about. The rearrangement was all to do with the new Mersey crossing, which has altered the whole approach from the Runcorn side. It seems to work smoothly - at a cost of two-quid per vehicle per trip, as S Holloway (I think) might have said.

Edited by Andrew-T on 12/11/2018 at 11:11

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - gordonbennet

There are many roundabouts like that dotted about, where the stranger doesn't quite see how the road layout and traffic flow works.

The problems come when as you say no lane guidance is evident, either on the signposts or on the road, and where the traffic is very heavy those on the road might as well not exist half the time.

Most of us, shall we say vocational drivers (who do it for a living, not those who call themselves professionals) tend to utilise these roundabouts to best effect by using either of two lanes when appropriate but staying in our chosen lane all the way, but the more careful/experienced of us are defensive whilst making those maneuvers because we try to keep in mind that others will be strangers or less experienced drivers so might well misunderstand what is happening and may well use the road differently to the norm themselves, unfortunately white van drivers as a breed are among the very worse road users out there, desperate to get in front and save 0.0003 seconds.

Very dodgy using the horn for any purpose these days bar testing it works, the place is infested with people who may react quite ridiculously or violently to any perceived slight against them.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/11/2018 at 11:23

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - veryoldbear

I go through DIRFT quite regularly going A5 to M1 North. Yes, I fear it happens. And it's even worse when HGVs do it. Familiarity breeds something or other.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - daveyjp

Local custom and practice is not uncommon - I live close to a similar situation with the ring road exit at about 2pm, but most use both lanes on the roundabout.

Be aware of vehicles around you and try and avoid getting directly alongside other vehicles, especially vans and more so HGVs. Hold back just in case. If there is a coming together chances are it will be a 50-50 call. Far easier to simply be aware and let them get on with it.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Ethan Edwards

Happens all the time in Colchester. I thought the Highway code had been changed its so common these days. As is contra indicating. You know turn left, indicate right and vice versa, especially fun watching this at Roundabouts, as you are trying to pull out. It's a wonder there are not more accidents. This morning I followed a line of traffic all busily indicating left as then entered a Roundabout. Pity there was no actual left turn. Only a straight ahead option or a right turn. Fine to commence indicating left when you leave the roundabout but a hundred yards before? Life is becoming very odd these days.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - focussed

French drivers using their own private version of the code de la route do the "I'm going straight ahead so I will signal left on the approach" all the time. They usually omit to signal right to leave the rond point however.

But there are local variations too numerous to mention!

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Bromptonaut

On my last trip to the UK I had a scary moment on an unsignposted roundabout, one of a series running from Rugby past DIRFT East to the M1 (where the A428 crosses the A5).

Is this the first roundabout after exiting Kilsby northwards and crossing the railway? I use it quite regularly but have never observed the phenomenon mentioned in the OP. I am though almost invariably sticking on the A5 heading for Gibbet Roundabout and either M6/J1 or M1/J20.

If most traffic coming off A5/Northbound is heading for M1 and the A428 in that direction is dualed then, as at Tove roundabout, it makes sense to use more than one lane for right turns.

Signage and road markings though should be consistent with that though.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Ian_SW

Ultimately, you have to be on the left hand lane of the roundabout to exit it. If you get into the middle of the roundabout, and there's something outside, the car in the middle is the one changing lane so had to give way.

It's not a particularly good, or defensive technique to drive around the outside of the roundabout to turn right, but in the absence of any markings there is nothing illegal about it.

In the direct opposite of this, there is a roundabout near me where the third exit is 'straight on'' with a two lane approach. Both of the first two exits are fairly major roads, one being the on-slip to the A1(M). There is almost no reason to use the 4th exit, as it only really goes to the service area. In rush-hour it works fine, with traffic for the motorway using the left lane and those using the third exit approaching in the right hand lane. However, about 1 time out of 10 in off peak hours, there will be someone who doesn't do this, and I've had to do an extra lap of the roundabout to avoid any risk of a crash.

Given by the amount of broken glass and bits of car scattered on the road, I presume accidents happen there fairly frequently, and the whole situation could be avoided in most cases with some better lane markings.

(duplicate - please delete)

Edited by Bilboman on 12/11/2018 at 19:59

(Is this the first roundabout after exiting Kilsby northwards and crossing the railway?)
In response to Bromptonaut: Coming north from Kilsby, if you turn right at the first roundabout, you leave the A5 and take the A428 heading east. Two roundabouts later, the A5 again intersects the A428 at a roundabout after looping around behind Tesco/DIRFT. It's this last roundabout where the fun starts.
Most traffic coming from Rugby on the A428 (now on your immediate right) will be going round to the third/right-hand/eastern exit towards the M1. And some, as I discovered, are in such a blinding rush that they use the left hand lane to gain a few seconds' journey time and woe betide any outsider who doesn't know this! Lethargic HGVs are a lot easier to anticipate; it's speeding van drivers who deliberately undertake who create the risk here.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Leif
Generally I would say do not use the left lane to turn right as it’s dangerous. However I know several roundabouts where it is normal to be in the left or right lane to turn right. These are dual carriageways where turning right is equivalent to going straight ahead. In other words, it is a dual carriageway with a roundabout at a kink, and the other roads coming off the roundabout are small roads. There is one near Winchester, where the A31 meets Alresford Road. The signs make it clear. I think there are some on the A27 near Chichester.

I’ve had a few near misses on roundabouts with someone who turns right using the left lane, despite clear road markings that the right lane is turn right AND straight on, and the left lane is turn left and straight on. I assume they are pan heads, and safe driving relies on anticipating and allowing for mistakes of other road users.
"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - barney100

Multi lane roundabouts can be dangerous, Basingstoke has loads of them. You really have to know which lane you need on the approach and the roundabout and look out for drivers who cut across you. Best if possible to give yourself space between you and others and just expect someone will cut across. Horn blasting only makes for trouble.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Leif

Multi lane roundabouts can be dangerous, Basingstoke has loads of them. You really have to know which lane you need on the approach and the roundabout and look out for drivers who cut across you. Best if possible to give yourself space between you and others and just expect someone will cut across. Horn blasting only makes for trouble.

I have no issue with using them. However, that reminds me that a few weeks back I heading to the ice rink and about to exit the roundabout between B&Q and the town centre, and nearly collided with a muppet using the outside lane to turn right. I had to emergency brake and fortunately no-one was behind me.

Unfortunately some drivers seem to do their own thing and ignore road signs, road markings, the Highway Code etc.

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - Andrew-T

I suppose one possible explanation is that the rogue driver isn't sure of his way ahead, and decides to go round 360 degrees for another attempt ....

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - FP

Near here, as part of the access to the M1, there's a roundabout where, due to the fact that nearly everyone needs to get on to the motorway, all three lanes turn right. Some idiots are even in the extreme right lane even though they need the northbound slip-road - on the left - immediately after the roundabout.

To make things even more confusing and dangerous, the traffic lights that control access to the roundabout are routinely ignored and you will be hooted at if you stop on a red. (I do stop on a red - and hoot those who drive past. One day the police will wake up to what's happening.)

"Rogue" roundabout - left lane to turn right !! - colinh

Does the OP live in Spain? If so, surely they're familiar with all sorts of approaches to roundabouts - anything goes there

After 28 years living and driving here, I could write a thesis on Spanish roundabouts! Years ago an utter nincompoop in a government office looked at the thorny question of roundabouts and decided that rather than treating a roundabout as a junction, it is rather the circular continuation of a general highway, to which existing traffic rules must be applied.
Thus the outside lane has priority, which leads to ridiculous situations, such as the driver taking the final exit who curls around the outside lane centrifugally, asserting his priority over everyone else.
It is also apparently illegal to exit a roundabout in any lane other than the far outside one - even if there are three lanes exiting! - so no cutting-in (lane changing) is allowed. Finally, there are no lane markings to speak of, less still direction arrows - and of course indicators are a total irrelevance.
Santander has introduced "turbo" roundabouts recently with proper lane markings and arrows and people are finally getting used to them, but in the rest of Spain roundabouts are a manic free-for-all. "God knows how they managed to get an Armada together", as Basil Fawlty once said...