Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - frankly

Not just poor customer service but appear to try every trick to make you contact them, and no 0800 number, "we are receiving exceptional high calls" etc after listening to a robot voice for endless options.... No refund when cancelling early. Up to £49.95 cancellation fee. I would not recommend this company.

Edited by frankly on 20/05/2017 at 20:16

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - oldroverboy.

Did you read the terms and conditions before you bought the insurance?

They are a broker... It is a landline number so would be included in any allowances you have, mobile or home.

I am with LV, as re mny friends, easy to get through to and quick to answer.

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - Wackyracer

I used Onecall for a year. I moved house and they charged me £53 to change the address, that was the end of my dealing with them.

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - gordonbennet

I think we've all been stung by the wrong insurance company choices at one time or another, norwich union was my big mistake.

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - Andrew-T

Can't claim to have been 'stung' by any insurers, I just do a bit of basic shopping around when a renewal reminder arrives. I'm lucky to drive cheap cars and live in a fairly cheap area. But I can only commend the service Aviva gave me when the third party (insured with them) admitted full blame for a collision last Christmas. A fair valuation and dealt with promptly and without aggro.

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - Engineer Andy

I think one of the problems these days is that most people shop generally (not just insurance) by price, rather than product quality. The problem with insuarnce is that you acn only really tell if its a good quality product if you have a claim, particularly if its a complex one or you need something sorted out very quickly. Most often, you get what you pay for in terms of customer service when you need to file a claim.

Unfortunately, the difference between the lowest and highest premiums (taking into account some firms deliberately quote ridiculously high to discourage potential clients rather than just refusing to quote) is so high that most people opt for the lowest or near that. Its the same with gas/elec utility firms - all that 'shopping around for the best price', 'cashback deals' etc that TV 'guru' Martin Lewis advocates is all well and good, but getting a really cheap deal often means you then have to put up with really poor customer service when an issue arises, and insurance is no different.

I've been with Esure for over 15 years and been lucky enough (touch wood) to have never had the need to make a claim. I went with them mainly because of price (they weren't the cheapest, but in the lowest 10 of over 100 on the screenscraper website) and that they are backed by one of the larger underwriters, but that doesn't mean they are any good during a claim. My policy has similar caveats, including £25 - £35 for changing details or requoting for a new vehicle mid-year, although on more than one occasion this has been waived (without even asking). Sometimes its not the firms' policy that makes the difference, but the attitude of the person we speak to during a call and how we come across to them as well.

I dallied once with changing to NFU, who do have a good reputation, but was put off when the quote came in for £650, rather than Esure at £300, and a good 30-40 other quotes in the range of £275 - £375 with about the same level of cover. I'd probably pay somewhere around the £400 mark (relative to the quote at that time) for a policy from a firm that does have a really good reputation, but not double. I also think some firms only care about getting new business (hence the low quotes on the screenscraper websites), and once you're on board you are just another mug to be fleeced if you need to have any dealings with them outside annual renewal.

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - Andrew-T

<< I've been with Esure for over 15 years and been lucky enough (touch wood) to have never had the need to make a claim. >>

I thought Esure didn't take customers with a claim history? What do they do if you make a claim, when renewal time comes round?

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/05/2017 at 19:49

Not recommended - Onecall Insurance - Engineer Andy

<< I've been with Esure for over 15 years and been lucky enough (touch wood) to have never had the need to make a claim. >>

I thought Esure didn't take customers with a claim history? What do they do if you make a claim, when renewal time comes round?

No idea personally as my last claim was more than the max years they ask for claims history and with another firm. The NCD and PNCD policy is relatively standard, reducing similar to other firms in the business. Not sure if they exclude any potential new customer who has made a fault claim (presumably) with X years. You may find they (and others) won't quote if you've had a certain level of claims within that amount of time, or concerning a certain type of accident and/or whether some of them (or other incidents) have resulted in penalty points on your licence or driving bans.