Any - Spam - new postings - Theophilus

Some days there seems to be multiple new spam messages.

I am conscious that it is unreasonable to expect Avant to moderate every post the instant it is uploaded, nor would we want a long delay for all posts to appear whilst awaiting moderation.

I would suggest that it might be worth introducing a requirement for all new contributors (or new aliases!) to be reviewed by a moderator before their posts appear on the site. Once the first valid post has been approved, then further postings by the same contributor might appear in BR without vetting.

Can anyone see a downside to this proposal?

Any - Spam - new postings - RT

It would be good to prevent links being included in posts until a set number of posts have been made AND the new user approved by the moderators - problem is that it still makes extra work for Avant.

Any - Spam - new postings - oldroverboy.

I thought there was more than 1 moderator..

I would be only too happy to take out the obvious spam and links.. leaving the rest to avant, as i am generally up early in the morning....

Any - Spam - new postings - Bolt

I thought there was more than 1 moderator..

I would be only too happy to take out the obvious spam and links.. leaving the rest to avant, as i am generally up early in the morning....

I thought there used to be 3 moderators, I reckon there ought to be more!

Any - Spam - new postings - RobJP

I'd support RT's suggestion more than new users needing to be approved before being able to post.

Possibly once a person has made 10 posts being allowed to post links - though that does run the risk of someone spamming replies to 10 threads, just to get to the point when they can create more spam

Any - Spam - new postings - scot22

The opportunities to abuse technological advances appear to be infinite. I think ORBs offer should be considered and, may I add, good to see people who offer to do something to help.Must add NOT a criticism of anyone - all our circumstances are different.

Despite being 'liberated' I still find it difficult sometimes to fit in all I would like to do.

Any - Spam - new postings - Avant

"Can anyone see a downside to this proposal?"

Yes - how would I know the poster was genuine, and not about to try for a free advert in their second post?

It's their stupidity that never ceases to amaze - they really seem to think people will fall for what are often semi-illiterate plugs. The latest ones are for some completely unspecified consultancy - hardly a tempting proposition.

When the forum was revamped in 2010 there were three of us as moderators: the other two didn't do much and fairly soon dropped out. It was easier just to do it on my own, even when I was working full-time. It doesn't take long to skim through the threads.

It's also surprising how many people seem to get worked up about spammers. They don't affect our daily lives, do they! There's really no need to report spammers by E-mail: I can see them for myself. Someone (or a filter) at HJ is deleting the obvious ones, like the k i t c h e n s, for us, and I'll have dealt with the others within a day.

Just ignore them and don't worry.

That said, ORB, that's a very kind offer. I don't want to wish a thankless task on anyone! Most of these hillock-rhymers go away after a bit, but if they don't, I'll get in touch if I may.

Edited by Avant on 03/03/2017 at 22:33

Any - Spam - new postings - oldroverboy.

It's also surprising how many people seem to get worked up about spammers.

Just ignore them and don't worry.

I am surprised that some people click on the links.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 04/03/2017 at 07:51