Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - whatcitynext

I am looking at 2015 Corsas. I believe that was the year a new model was introduced. My local dealer has the older model with a high spec. and the newer car which is a more basic model. I do about 15000 miles per year and hope to change in 3 or 4 years. I think with this trade in value in mind I should buy the later model. I would value an opinion on this please.

Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - RobJP

Probably minimal difference. A higher spec makes a car more desirable, but it's the old model, which makes it less wanted.. A newer model makes a car more desirable, but people like spec on cars.

Of couse, another thing to take into account is that the older car, they'd (hopefully) ironed out all the faults and niggles in the production run over the years. The new model, no such luck.

Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - Chris M

Obviously personal choice but for me I'd go for the newer model as long as the basic spec model had all I wanted. So much of the higher spec. fittings are just nice to haves. I can live without auto headlights, wipers, rear electric windows, folding mirrors, sat nav and a host of others things.

A basic spec Corsa may not have air con. and I couldn't live without that as it's nice in hot weather and a safety thing in winter (condensation free windows).

Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - gordonbennet

I agree with the have no more toys than what YOU want is a good thing, what isn't fitted can't go wrong, simple three dial heater/vet controls for example seldom fail, drum rear brakes almost never give a moments trouble.

Unfortunately the used car buyer is an odd soul, no matter how much trouble the top of the range car's electronics may prove to be so many buyers want all the toys...no they don't research the things until its packed up when all of sudden they discover what a Pandoras box they've saddled themselves with, but that doesn't stop people repeating that mistake time after time.

People actually seek out used DSG gearboxes in used VW's, most of us here you couldn't pay to take one off your hands.

Keeping it for 4 years don't worry too much about value afterwards, it'll be less than you expect anyway, buy what suits you, just make sure you research the model you intend to buy before signing up, this applies for example if its got any weird gearboxes or electric parking brakes (i haven't a clue what a Corsa is like so don't these as anything but examples), these items alone can present you with bills, out of warranty, that will make a couple of hundred quid of extra depreciation pale into insignificance.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/01/2017 at 17:19

Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - craig-pd130

The facelifted Corsa E models are a massive improvement on the previous Corsa D models in pretty much every respect. We had a 1.2 (85bhp petrol ) Corsa D with aircon etc for my wife, and recently replaced it with a Corsa E (1.4 petrol). The difference is night and day.

The Es are a great deal quieter with much less road noise, vibration and harshness, and much better ride / handling too. Also the interior fit & finish is streets ahead.

My 10 pence worth is get the newer, facelift model as it's much better to drive, and will be worth no less (and probably more) when you trade it in. I would recommend the 1.4 90bhp petrol engine. It goes well, is well-proven and is a much lower insurance group than the 1.0 turbo.

Vauxhall Corsa - Vauxhall - SLO76
The newer model is a vastly superior car despite similar looks. The gadgets will make no difference to the value in 3yrs/45,000 miles whereas the more modern design will help a little plus I always advocate keeping things as simple as possible regarding motoring, it's just less unnecessary bits and bobs to go wrong.

What model and engines are you looking at here anyway? I'm assuming you're avoiding the Fiat diesels and sticking with petrol?

Edited by SLO76 on 03/01/2017 at 19:19