How can I fix my Insignia's DPF problems?

I have recently bought a 2009 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 diesel. However, it gave me DPF errors today and started using lots of fuel. I have asked my local garage to remove the DPF, but been told that it can't be done for less than £350. Before I go ahead, would you recommend anything else? Can I get it cleaned instead of being removed?

Asked on 1 December 2016 by japan878

It is ILLEGAL to remove a DPF. If the DPF is full of ash it might be possible to send it away to Ceramex to get the ash and soot cleaned out. They do this routinely to HGV DPFs every 80,000 miles or so. Costs about £350.