Why are my tyres wearing out so quickly?

I have a BMW X3 M40d purchased November 2019. It's done around 10, 500 miles in that time mostly around town with only a few motorway trips. It's just had its first service and I've been informed that it needs 4 new tyres already! The front ones are just legal and the rear ones aren't. A new set is going to cost around £1000! Shouldn't I be getting more miles from these tyres and what can I do to improve tyre wear, apart from not drive it?

Asked on 1 February 2021 by L Newsham

How long a tyre lasts depends on how it's driven and how your car is stored. Under normal driving conditions, you should get a minimum of 20,000 miles out of front tyres on a front-wheel-drive car. For rear tyres, you can be double that to around 40,000 miles. But not all tyres are the same and they can wear at very different rates. For instance, high-performance tyres will wear more quickly than touring tyres.

However, a variety of factors can cause tyres to wear out sooner than expected. Improper inflation pressure and out-of-spec alignment are the two main factors for quick and/or uneven tyre wear - so make sure your alignment is correct and that the pressure is right according to the vehicle handbook. You may also want to change your tyres to some that strike a better balance between handling and fuel economy.
Tags: tyres