Our car was stolen off our drive. What can we do to prevent this happening again?

As an early Christmas present, we had our keyless-start Mercedes-Benz GLC stolen off our driveway a week ago. Insurance payment on its way. What's the best way to stop us having the same happen? We are looking at a car with a key-only start where the key is like the good old days.

Asked on 4 January 2021 by David Banbury

I'm sorry to hear about the theft. As for security measures, other deterrents include steering wheel locks and immobilisers. A car tracker might be worth investing in, depending on how much you want to spend. A company called Tracker would be worth a look. Sometimes, after a car is stolen, it's parked a few miles away because the thieves don't want to be caught with it if it does have a tracker fitted. If it's still there, they come back and sell it, take it apart to sell parts etc.

If you have a garage, that's much safer than a car being kept on-street or on a driveway. If you do park on the driveway, a home security system is useful - either with traditional cameras or something less expensive and intrusive, like a motion-triggered Ring video doorbell. Even motion-sensor lights will deter some thieves.