When it comes to older cars, are petrol or diesel models more reliable?

I’m looking to buy an older (2004 or 2005), three-door Toyota RAV4. I had a 2-litre petrol one some time back and miss its performance and agility around my local lanes. I have heard the diesels can be troublesome, so should I buy petrol or diesel?

Asked on 17 June 2020 by Nigel

Diesel engines are very expensive to fix, compared to petrol. A £3000 RAV4 diesel engine could easily cost you £1500/£2000 in repairs if it needs serious work to the DMF, EGR, turbo. I'd probably go with the petrol. At 16-years the RAV4 will be approaching the end of its mechanical life. I think you'd get better value from the petrol.