Ford has suddenly stopped selling the 1.5-litre Focus I ordered. Is the replacement 1.0-litre engine any good?

I ordered a Ford Focus Active X 1.5 Ecoboost prior to the Covid crisis. Ford have now informed the dealer that the specification will be changed to a 1.0 mild hybrid ecoboost without explanation. The dealer hasn't been very helpful, suggesting that the 1.5 Ecoboost is no longer available. Any ideas what might be going on here? Also, is the mild hybrid drivetrain any good in the Focus?

Asked on 11 June 2020 by Nuclear Pete

There are lots of strange things happening at the moment, with manufacturers seemingly dropping engines at random in order to meet upcoming CO2 emission targets. That's probably what's happened here. We'd be frustrated with your dealer's laissez-faire attitude but, if Ford's no longer producing the car you want with that engine, there's not much they can do. If you really want a 1.5, there are some pre-registered examples currently advertised with Ford dealers - put pressure on your dealer to source you one, or cancel your order and pick up the phone yourself. Most will be happy to deliver. That said, the 1.0-litre's an excellent little engine. We've tried it with mild-hybrid tech in the new Puma and it punches well above its weight.