Which is more accurate, the speed shown on a speedometer or a sat nav?

On the occasions I use my smartphone as a sat nav, I get a readout of the speed of the car on the screen. It always shows a slower speed than my speedometer by 3-4mph. Since this can make all the difference in some areas where they have speed cameras set to catch drivers going above 20 mph, would you regard the smartphone figure as a more accurate and reliable guide to avoid being caught out?

Asked on 16 March 2020 by Neil Littman

The sat nav on your smartphone is more accurate, speedos generally read a little over what you're actually doing.
Tags: speedometer