Do I have to inform my insurer if I fit winter tyres?

Do I have to tell my insurer if I fit winter tyres to my car?

Some insurers are happy for you to fit winter tyres without telling them so long as the cold weather rubber is of the correct size and rating. You can check the rating on the sidewall of the tyre or ask your fitter. If you’re uncertain, it’s wise to check with your insurance company.

If they try to charge an additional fee, ask for this to be explained and accounted for. Another legal point to remember is if you travel abroad in winter but still on summer tyres, some European countries require winter tyres between October and March. If your car’s on the wrong rubber, you could risk a fine.