Does aluminium foil prevent keyless theft?

To enter my car, one has to use the remote locking key. Is aluminium foil a sufficient way to prevent a theft attempt by someone without the key?

Asked on 28 October 2019 by Christopher Johns

In theory, aluminium foil which is completely sealed around the key should prevent someone from being able to commit relay theft. However, you can easily test this yourself by locking the car with the key, wrapping the keyfob in foil and then trying to open the car door with the key (in the foil) in proximity to see if the car detects the keyfob. It's a clumsy solution though, better to buy a faraday bag/signal-blocking bag off of Amazon for £7 or £8: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-signal-blocki.../