Are illegal number plates picked up by ANPR cameras?

I know that number plates that will not pass an MoT are illegal, but will they be picked up on ANPR cameras like the new automatic fine for driving in a lane with a red X. There are some that I've seen that have had the numbers turned around, a 3 turned round making an E.

Asked on 20 May 2019 by conman

Failure to display registration number plates correctly can result in a fine up to £1000 and (as you've rightly pointed out) an instant MoT failure. ANPR images are usually verified by hand if the number plate doesn't 100% match the vehicle that's listed on the DVLA database. One would hope that the ANPR operator would be able to work out if the owner has changed a 3 to an E...