Digital Radio - Drivethru

We have just gone digital in the north east. I have a new digital radio but I can only get about 15 stations and none of the local radio stations, funnily enough I can get LBC. My question is, as I am just using the radio's own aerial, would an indoor digital area get more stations. I'm not sure how digital radio signals work.

Digital Radio - Bromptonaut

Not sure I follow the 'just gone digital' bit. TV is moving to digital only but that has no effect on DAB - the digital standard for household portable radio.

Basically it should work pretty much like ordinary radio. Try moving the radio around the house. Do you get more stations if you take it upstairs and re-tune?

Digital signal is on a higher frequency than VHF/FM so more line of sight. It's also either working or not - you don't get mushfizz poor reception.

Digital Radio - piggy

Are you sure your local stations broadcast in digital? I have two digital sets and can get the main UK stations,(R4,4 Extra etc)but cannot get Radio Wales or Jazz FM. I found out these two broadcast in FM only in north Wales. If you check the radio channels on your TV you can see what channels are available in digital. I have fitted a music centre with a dedicated digital aeral,and it`s made a massive difference to the number of stations.

Digital Radio - StayStrong

Maybe this article could help you out? I think they are trying to explain the problem you might have (if i understood it right) Good luck!

Digital Radio - Drivethru

Thanks for that StayStrong, it hit the nail on the head. I can get all of the stations it mentions, so I know that's right. Radio Newcastle is broadcast by Bauer, not sure why but I don't get that, I know it's something to do with multiplexes and how they broadcast in a certain area, after that it gets too technical for me!

Digital Radio - StayStrong

Oh great, i am happy that it helped :) I am sure that you are not the only one with this problems - in fact, several people came up to me because of that problem. Maybe I should do some flyers, so that i could help everyone right away when they ask me about that the next time ;) Have a nice week, Drivethru!

Edited by Avant on 11/11/2012 at 19:04