Tail gaters read this ... - Obsolete
This is addressed to all you tail-gaters out there.

This afternoon, tootling along the a busy M4 east bound in lane 1 near Maidenhead at 70mph when the car in front lost its load. Two 6 foot wooden doors slid off the roof, impacted the road, and shattered into separate component planks each of which then bounced along the road. I managed an emergency stop onto the hard shoulder behind the car that had lost its load.

Now I think I was incredibly lucky to survive without any injury or vehicle damage. A large part of the reason for this is that the black merc that was following me kept a safe distance and hence he had time to take defensive action. I can only say thankyou to that driver. If only everyone had such skill.

Now here's my point:

If you had been tail gating the car that lost its load, you would have had a plank through your windscreen.

If you had been tail-gating me, you would have gone into the back of me, and perhaps caused a big motorway pile up.

So why do you persist in tail-gating? Please explain to me as I don't understand. I really hate you people!
Tail gaters read this ... - memyself-aye
I agree - unless you're in the middle lane doing 45- the only thing you can do is slow down to encourage the tailgater to pass on country roads I slow, briefly indicate left and let the other car overtake, sadly not many people do that these days. However, almost as bad are centre lane dawdlers!!
Come the revolution lane 2 hogs will also be lined up against the wall and shot. :)
Tail gaters read this ... - Pugugly {P}
Agreed. I was up North recently and driving along a particularly uncluttered bit of M/Way (M56 Westbound) tootling along at a cruise controlled 75 when I caught up with a mid lane hogger doing about 60 65 (emptyish motorway) - would he move over to the empty nearside lane ? would he hell. Should be prosecuted for that.
Tail gaters read this ... - SteveH42
I once came across an idiot that joined the M67 in the left lane, but as soon as it became 3 lane, pulled in to the middle lane. At 45. I couldn't decide whether to just carry on and undertake him, or do things properly and go around - I did the latter. I'm afraid I've taken to cutting up bad cases these days - making a point of moving in to the left lane to try and drop a hint. Rarely works.
Tail gaters read this ... - dan
Funny, l expected your post to simply say "YOU ARE A *&^%"
Dan. Your post gave me a laugh. Actually I wanted to point out why tailgating is very dangerous giving a recent example. Many people I know tailgate and these are likeable decent people. I believe that tailgating is far more dangerous than speeding or lane 2 hogging (though I don't condone either of the latter). In America it is a crime and should be here.
Tail gaters read this ... - dom grimes
If you had just carried on you wouldn't have undertaken him, would you?. i think undertaking means to go from behind someone in, say, the middle lane, into the inside lane and then back out into the middle lane. If you stay in the inside lane you are passing someone not undertaking them. The guy on the M67 ( near me by the way) wasn't wearing a trilby was he? most of them do.

Dominic
Tail gaters read this ... - jud
Cant see your problem here, the motor way was you say uncluttered, so why not pass in the overtaking lane. The 70mph limit is just that, there is no reason why you cant drive just under it rather than break the law by driving just over as you were. The lorry rutted lh lane is one to avoid in my opinion.
Tail gaters read this ... - L'escargot
>>to encourage the tailgater to pass on country roads I slow,
>>briefly indicate left and let the other car overtake, sadly >>not many people do that these days.

I adopt the same tactic. In addition I pull as far to the left as I can. As you say, sadly not many people do these days. In fact, in general, courtesy on the roads has almost totally disappeared. At one time, if one was stationary at the head of the queue at traffic lights at crossroads at night, it was common practice to turn off ones headlights leaving only sidelights (or dim dipped) on to avoid dazzling the person at the head of the queue opposite. Nobody (except me !) does that nowadays.
Tail gaters read this ... - John Davis
Although the roads have never been so crowded, now, more than ever, the two second rule is essential for safe driving. If drivers would allow that vital two seconds time/distance between their vehicle and the vehicle in front, I am sure that many of these "accidents" would not happen. Accidents, especially on motorways, are, thankfully, rare but, sadly, complacency sets in and when nasty things start to happen, many drivers do not have that vital distance to take safe, evading action. Regular TV footage, especially of the morning fogs, shows the carnage that results from inadequate stopping distances.
Tail gaters read this ... - BrianW
If tailgaters hadn't caused so many pile-ups in the early years of motorways in the UK, there is at least a passable likelyhood that the 70 mph limit would never have been introduced.
Tail gaters read this ... - Micky
">If tailgaters hadn't caused so many pile-ups in the early years of motorways in the UK, there is at least a passable likelyhood that the 70 mph limit would never have been introduced.<"

Perhaps, but more likely that the restriction was imposed following incidents involving Jags "testing" at speeds in excess of 140 mph and the odd AC Le Mans Cobra coupe running up to 180+ mph ........ now that would be a surprise for the Micra driver dawdling in lane 2.

Tail gaters read this ... - Cardew
This has been said many times before.

If you are in a queue of vehicles in the outside lane(wanting to go faster) and leave the recommended 2 seconds between vehicles someone will drop into the middle lane lane, undertake and pull into your 2 second gap. So you drop back from that vehicle -often white van man - and another vehicle ---.
Tail gaters read this ... - HF
Why can't people just obey the speed limits?!
HF
Tail gaters read this ... - Rob C
Because 70mph is too slow for a three lane road and a modern vehicle.
I think motorways should be derestricted, but we don't have the discipline/safety awareness to make that safe in this country.

But that's a different debate.
Tail gaters read this ... - dave18
Because 70mph is too slow for a three lane road and
a modern vehicle.

Yeah it is. I wonder if, should the black Merc have been following too close and as a result caused an accident, there would have been repercussions for the driver that were more severe than for somebody cauhgt doing 100 in good conditions? Back to the point it shows how dangerous tailgating *can* be. As a passenger with Mum the other day - she was in a rush - she nearly went into someone else on the ice. Car in front doing 25... Mum couldn't go any faster (urban road.)
Because 70mph is too slow for a three lane road and a modern vehicle.
I think motorways should be derestricted, but we don't have the discipline/safety awareness to make that safe in this country.

But that's a different debate.
I will put up and shut up now on this thread, because I know my views are different to most of the contributors here.

At the same time, please all take care, especially over the 'festive' season, but also at all other times too.
Take care
HF
HF
I imagine that you are a little younger than I and trherefore probably only have experience of driving within the confines of blanket limits.
However, speaking as one who started driving circa 1963, I recall that when the 70 mph limit came in that was about as fast as a family saloon would go, and that was with drum brakes, cross-ply tyres, no ABS, no seatbelts, no airbags, no heated rear window, etc. etc.
So 70 was quite fast, but with a decent car you could travel perfectly safely at 100 and in the right conditions I have done the entire length of the M1 without dropping below 90.

With modern equipment 70 is too slow as a blanket limit.

There is nothing magical about 70 that makes it as fast as you can go whilst remaining safe. Nor about 60, or 80, or 50 etc.

Safety is about travelling at a maximum speed slightly below that at which you and your equipment can cope.

Some drivers are unsafe at any speed. And this is where tailgating comes in.
If you are travelling at 50 in a 60 limit but two cars lengths from the vehicle in front you are a danger to yourself and everyone else within range.
Similarly if you are doing 30 in a 40 limit but in the boot of the car in front.
And even if you are doing 20 in a 30 limit.

Travelling more slowly does not make one safer, at least not until you get down to zero.

Only awareness, observation and consideration will fill the bill.
Hi BrianW,

Yes, I guess you are a little older, since you did your driving test before I was born!

I appreciate your knowledge and experience, and the point about cars nowadays being different now than they were in the past, and optimum speed limits on these cars.

My point is, and I know nobody here will agree wih me - At certain speeds, I don't think *anybody* can be in total control of their car. I know, personally (and yes maybe I'm a c**p driver) that there is a speed where I feel in control, and a speed where I don't. I don't think anyone, with normal human reactions, can be in complete control above a certain speed. As I said. I know most will disagree with me here - 'tis just my humble opinion.
HF
HF
"At certain speeds, I don't think *anybody* can be in total control of their car."

Everybody has a limit, ultimately, it's just that the limits are individual and even then vary with road conditions, weather, time of day etc.

"I know, personally (and yes maybe I'm a c**p driver) that there is a speed where I feel in control, and a speed where I don't."

That is great, you know your limits and drive within them.
I wish everybody did, then accident rates would plummet.

Have a good Christmas.
(BTW, our bridesmaid of 30+ years ago and her husband had a head-on on Saturday, so they won't!)

Everybody has a limit, ultimately, it's just that the limits are
individual and even then vary with road conditions, weather, time of
day etc.

BrianW, agree with you totally - it's just surely that the law cannot take into account every individual's different limits, plus all the variations you mention. (Know this sounds silly but you know what I mean) So, what other option is there but to have one limit, for all drivers, at all times?

That is great, you know your limits and drive within them.
I wish everybody did, then accident rates would plummet.

Thank you :)
Have a good Christmas.

And you and yours too.
(BTW, our bridesmaid of 30+ years ago and her husband had
a head-on on Saturday, so they won't!)

Sorry to hear that, hope they're ok.
Seasonal regards,
HF
"So, what other option is there but to have one limit, for all drivers, at all times?"

There are plenty of options:
Stiffer tests
More police patrols
More prosecutions for careless/dangerous driving
Raise/lower minimum/maximum ages for driving
Regular retests
Graduated licences
Health checks
Simulator tests

The worst thing you can do is to try to bring everybody down to the lowest common denominator.
That denominator will just get lower and lower as drivers get less experience.
Tail gaters read this ... - SteveH42
Control also depends on the car. I was over on the Isle of Man a few months back and did the usual thing of hammering down the road to Castletown. I think I just about hit the ton but got scared and backed out of it. In a better car than a Tipo I'd have felt much more comfortable - for example I once hit the ton in my mother's Saab and it felt fine.

Of course, both of these were on quiet roads and were, to be honest, still a bit silly. If there had been any other cars around I wouldn't have got close to this speed because even though I have good reactions, you can only predict certain things. You can't assume all drivers react to things on the road ahead the same way you do, so you've got to be careful. Tailgating would be perfectly safe if everyone drove in exactly the same way, but they don't so the only way it would be safe would be with robot cars.
Exactly, SteveH.

I'm glad you realise that a certain speed in a certain car was not right for you, but like you say, however good you feel your own reactions are, you just never know what another driver is going to do. And that's a big part of the poblem.
HF
Tail gaters read this ... - Andrew-T
Rob C - why is your conclusion any more correct than the converse one that modern vehicles are too fast for a 70mph speed limit? If you argue that a speed limit is unnecessary, that implies that every driver must judge (and be presumed able to judge) the safe speed for the prevailing conditions on that road. There are examples every day to show that is not true. A speed limit is a compromise between safety and mayhem. Ours may be a bit low, but that is another argument.
Tail gaters read this ... - TrevorP
"Why can't people just obey the speed limits?"

Because they don't want to.
Tail gaters read this ... - THe Growler
From, as I have been tagged on this board! a "colonial": isn't the problem because you "do this in that lane, and not in the other one" and if you're not doing anything else you're supposed to be in "this" lane?

Why not let everyone use all lanes freely,as in the US/Canada -- seems to work over there. Those who want to drive slow seem to graduate anyway to the RH lane. Those who don't sort it out in the others.

I was merrily what you call "undertaking" in the UK 3 weeks ago and got told I wasn't s'posed to do it? Why not? It's OK in Florida, Nevada, Yukon -- what's the UK's problem? Surely the guy tailgates you because you're in his way and he thinks he can't use another lane to get around you. Yet lots of people just do anyway. Jeez, us colonials have a hard time understanding
yore so-phisti-cated ways, that we do.

Surely the guy tailgates you because you're in his way and he thinks he can't use another lane to get around you.

Sure, some drivers tailgate another driver who is showing a lack of courtesy in lane positioning. But more often than not it is just arrogant aggressive and downright dangerous driving.

I was recently driving a car 'correctly' with an advanced driving instructor by my side and an impatient cretin 1m behind. According to the instructor the cretin was pulling faces, and making offensive gestures. Can't say I paid him any attention.

How often do you find yourself on an almost empty motorway with a moron sitting 2m behind you, or on a windy narrow country lane with high banks and a cretin 1m behind you (forcing you to slow down to give extra braking distance), or on a motorway with lanes 1 and 2 near empty and lane 3 chock a block with cars nose to tail.

Why can't we have motoring programs/magazines that for some of the time focus on driving safely for heavens sake rather than which car has the best safety gadgets? I guess it is not 'sexy' enough for them is it? Much more fun to race around a track and burn rubber. Encourage people to drive badly and then sell them protective gadgets.

Curiously enough I am rarely tail-gated by performance sports cars e.g. Lotus Elise and Porsche. It is usually a BMW/Merc/Audi. Could it be that these cars are so smooth and comfortable that the occupant has a false sense of security?

Sigh. Better get back to reading "My first crash" in the Sunday Times.
Growler,
"Why not let everyone use all lanes freely, as in the US/Canada -- seems to work over there."

Depends how you define 'works'. As discussed in previous threads the accident rate is higher in the USA than UK. That is so whichever way you look at the statistics - per miles driven etc.

Despite an earlier contributor saying tailgating is a crime in the USA, I find tailgating endemic there; particularly on the freeways around cities. That, despite a generally more relaxed driving style.

Whilst there is a valid argument for allowing free use of all lanes, the downside would surely be an increase in tailgating. To prevent undertaking, cars in the outside lane close up the gap to stop a car cutting in front of them.

C
Yes, Trevor,I know, but the last thing I want is an argument here
YES, people don't want to abide by the limits, my hope is to make people realise what they are doing.

Fruitless task, yeah, nmost of the time - but if it was to save one life, one day, then I would see it as time well spent.
good grief, is that the time?!!!

Thought someome was gonna warn me!

Night all and take care- see you soon,
HFxxx
Tail gaters read this ... - Ben79
People feel fraustrated at being held up by modified traffic lights, speed humps, bus stop lay-bys that have been filled in, roadworks and the like, so when they get to a clear bit of road, tend to make up time.

When you get to put your foot down after a queue, you tend to feel the speed more, and have a rush of adrenaline. Thats why people do it.
Tail gaters read this ... - Andy P
Maybe we should hook up rear parking sensors to a very bright light fitted in the back of the car. If the driver starts to get too close, the light comes on. The closer he gets, the brighter the light gets. Or maybe a pair of flashing blue lights....

Andy
Tail gaters read this ... - PatriciaX
On the uestion of the rarity of accidents on m'ways, I've been amazed at the amount of pile-ups and crashes I've seen since using the motorway so much. Just last week, I saw 8 accidents in one day, one huge pile up on Thursday and an upside down white transit in the hard shoulder on Friday morning.

The tailgating situation is ridiculous. Although I do not condone it one little bit, I can see where such prats get their logic from when they're behind just one slower driver. However, what amazes me is the string of drivers, snaking along in the fast lane, less than a second between each of them. Which of course means that the slightest reduction in speed means a whole line of sharp braking and angry red lights, over and over again, which in turn slows everyone down and congests (is that even a word?) the m'way and thus hte journey takes longer than it would have done if the tailgating had never occurred!

Plus of course its dangerous!

I personally take pleasure in breaking the cycle of breaking and slowing down appropriately by de-accelerating, cause I've left enough room to do so. I know, I know, little things please little minds, but I take what I can get when Im 2 1/2 hours on the m'way every day!

Patricia
x
Tail gaters read this ... - JamesH
Undetaking may work in the USA but then all cars are only going 55 mph. It would get dangerous if cars passed on all sides at the UK motorway speed of 70 to 80 mph.

On the other hand, the variable limit sections on the M25 encourage use of all lanes. When the limit is 50, all cars do that speed (or less). I tend to stay in lane 1. I may end up passing cars on the right since that lane runs smoothest (lorry drivers like a constant speed, no middle/right lane hogs, etc) but at that speed it is safer.

James
Can anyone confirm this...I think you are allowed to undertake on that variable limit section of the M25 i.e. everyone stays in their lane doing 50 or 40 etc???

The other reason for tailgating is that people think their ABS, EBD,EBA will allow them to stop on a sixpence.
Tail gaters read this ... - THe Growler
Not so 55 (that's Jimmy Carter 1973 oil crisis stuff), the average speed maintained in the US is usually 10 mph above the posted limit and there are expressways with 65 mph posted limits, where most peoiple drive 80 just like old UK. I've driven all over the US (27 states at the last count) and I've never seen that many accidents (Ok leave out Hway 101 out of San Francisco on a Friday) but for the most part drivers are less aggressive and the driving experience is far less stressful than UK.

Yet in UK 3 weeks ago I had all manner of short-dicks trying to crawl up my exhaust pipe. If they'd have got past me where would they have ended up anyway? Yep, you got it, just in front of me at those dumb red lights they stick on roundabouts as you come off the motorways.

I put it down to cultural issues (that needs another thread and another forum).
I've been amazed at the amount of pile-ups and crashes I've seen since using the motorway so much.

I often do a weekend drive through Guildford on the A3 dual carriageway. Most times there is a crash. Often on the south bound lanes where incoming traffic joins the road. Last weekend there was a queue several miles long. (Opposite side to me.) I don't think I know any other road that has so many crashes in the space of 500m. What is it about that road that is so dangerous?
Tail gaters read this ... - chris p crisps ©
I've been amazed at the amount of pile-ups and crashes I've seen since using the motorway so much.

I often do a weekend drive through Guildford on the A3 dual carriageway. Most times there is a crash. Often on the south bound lanes where incoming traffic joins the road. Last weekend there was a queue several miles long. I don't think I know any other road that has so many crashes in the space of 500m. What is it about that road that is so dangerous?

reply: Its not the road thats dangerous its the idiots that use it.

chris
Tail gaters read this ... - clariman
"Its not the road thats dangerous its the idiots that use it."

Southerners?

;o)
Tail gaters read this ... - chris p crisps ©
Southerners?

what no idiots up north?

chris
Tail gaters read this ... - Blue {P}
I'm not saying a word :)

Blue
Tail gaters read this ... - 3500S
I know that M4 junction very well, it's my destination and departure point to and from work. I've lost count of the number of cars that use the decline on approach to the motorway to basically floor the car and then merge at speed only to slam the anchors 200 yards onto the motorway.

Sounds like you had a very lucky escape.

An adequate gap should be a mandatory rule but every time I see the old bill on the motorway they are in outermost lane doing 56mph.

I got pulled once under the pretence of a dim rear light early one morning last summer but I think it was to get a better look at the car.
Tail gaters read this ... - joe
I always thought that there would be a market for a device that could be mounted on the rear of a car and which would squirt a high pressure jet of curdled rancid greek yoghurt onto the windscreen of tailgaters. Now, I am sure that it would be illegal for someone to design and market such a useful device, but I'll be we've got a technical wizard on this site who can figure something out!
Tail gaters read this ... - smokie
"every time I see the old bill on the motorway they are in outermost lane doing 56mph."

I saw a motorcyle Old Bill recently on the M4 waving centre lane hogs into lane 1. I wasn't one the them...
HF - I know it was late at night, so I may have fell asleep and started dreaming, but didn't you ask me at this point if I live North of Watford?

Then I answered and said that I lived in Sunderland?

Where have the posts gone? HJ's right, the backroom is behaving strangely...

Blue
Hi Blue,

I certainly asked you at some point if you were north of Watford, and you told me about Sunderland - wouldn't have a clue whether it was in this thread or another, though! (late at night and all that!! But it's true, it wasn't a dream!) And I haven't seen our posts since either!

It may be that, in trying to save a little space, non-specifically nmotoring posts have to be removed, I'm not sure. But rest assured, it happend, it was not a figment of your imagination!
Take care as always
HF

Thanks for putting my mind at rest there HF, I thought I might be going down the Audrey Roberts from Coronation Street route, and there may have been an evil villain plotting to kill me to get his hands on all my money (yes the entire tenner :)

Even HJ has had posts disappear lately though, so I guess it can't be just us. :)

Take Care,

Blue
Hi Blue,

>>I might be going down the Audrey Roberts from Coronation Street
route, and there may have been an evil villain plotting to
kill me to get his hands on all my money (yes
the entire tenner :)

Being a southie, only get to see Corrie from time to time. (and will NOT admit, here or anywhere else, that the few times I see it gets me gripped! - not enough to watch the next day though :) Could be an evil plot by me though, couldn't it, trying to get that tenner (would pay 2/3 of my aol fee for the month, a crime worth committing don't you think?
Even HJ has had posts disappear lately though, so I guess
it can't be just us. :)

I'm sure there's a good reason, either that or BOTH of us are going mad!

You take care too, and if I don't speak to you again before Xmas then have a good one, and a great New Year too.

Speak to you soon, I hope,
HF

Tail gaters read this ... - Steve S
I do 120 miles daily on the M25 - people do drive too closely, a lot of trucks and vans who have even less chance of stopping are the worst offenders.

But I don't see much tail-gating. If, by this we mean hard up someone's backside in an attempt to intimidate.

When I do it's invariably encouraged by either: -

1. Lane hogging.
2. Poor land discipline, i.e. people not moving over once they have completed an overtaking manoevre.

If a tail-gater is bothering me I just let them past at the first opportunity.

The cemetery is a crap place to argue the toss over what they should have been doing.
Tail gaters read this ... - Tony N
I can understand people getting a bit closer to let the person in front know they want to get past when there's a clear road ahead - but why do people insist on sitting up your back side when when your doing 80 and there's traffic as far ahead of you as you can see. Perhaps because they believe everyone else should clear the way for them as they're obviously more important than everyone else??? Invariably its a 318i - at least on the M40 anyway....
Tail gaters read this ... - madf
I think we should enforce fixed distances between cars.. and then most motorways will clog up and we'll see congestion properly.

One (not the only)of the causes of tailgating is the lack of space on our roads. And the stress it causes..

madf
"I can understand people getting a bit closer to let the person in front know they want to get past when there's a clear road ahead"

WHY?

It does not let the person in front know ANYTHING except
"I am a PLONKER"

Tail gaters read this ... - Tony N
So what do you call someone who's doing 60 on the outside lane of a clear motorway ???? I hate tailgaters, but anyone who purposely slows some else on a clear road is just as bad aren't they? Its all about courtesy...
Unfortunately, Tony, it seems that courtesy is now a thing of the past :(
Tail gaters read this ... - Flat in Fifth
"I can understand people getting a bit closer to let the
person in front know they want to get past when there's
a clear road ahead"
WHY?
It does not let the person in front know ANYTHING except
"I am a PLONKER"

Please explain the above statement in connection with the following extracts from Chapter 9 of Roadcraft.

"Stage One: the following position.
Where you are gaining on a vehicle in front' and it is not possible to overtake immediately' use the system of car control to reduce your speed to that of a vehicle in front to follow at a safe distance. (snip)

Stage two: the overtaking position.
The overtaking position is closer than the following position and minimises the distance you have to travel to overtake. It can also indicate to the driver in front that you wish to overtake. Adopt this position so that you are ready to overtake when a safe position arises.

Because it is closer than the following position you have less time to react to the actions of the vehicle in front, so you must be sure that there are no hazards ahead which might cause it to brake suddenly.
end quote.

?!?
Tail gaters read this ... - cockle {P}
Personally I try to avoid the M25, especially in the rush hour (which now seems to be most of the day), as much as possible. Tailgating is just one of the consequences of the volume of traffic and as others have said, as soon as you leave a gap someone will fill it.
Some of the other things I've seen on there have frightened me, and I mean seriously frightened me, one guy came from the outside lane through the traffic in the middle lane across the front of me instead of through the large gap behind and just made the A12 slip road without hitting the barrier. He was actually so close to the front of my van I couldn't see how he hadn't hit me, what frightened me most was that I was doing about 60, he must of been doing the best part of 90 and because of the angle he came across I never saw him in the mirrors and would have been able to do nothing to prevent myself ending up off the M-way if he had clipped me. After that I made a serious promise to myself that I would try and avoid it, it was a sobering thought that however sensible that you feel you are there are a lot of idiots out there who could quite easily kill you and you would have no control whatsoever.

One of the things I find difficult to understand is that motorways are reckoned to be the safest roads but all I seem to hear on the radio recently is accidents on the M25 between J31 round to about J21. Probably it's just because they're on the motorway we hear about them more but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in motorway safety.

Cockle
"as soon as you leave a gap someone will fill it"

I must drive on different motorways to others, because this does not happen to me.

Mind you, in any sort of traffic on Motorways, you will only find me in Lane 1. The idea of going into an unsafe gap (like most people appear happy to do), by going OUT when the car in front is 3 car lengths in front, and the one in front of him is 3 car lenghts in front . . .is plain DAFT.
Cockle I agree with your point 100%.

I've never really understood the thing about motorways being the safest roads - maybe statistics show that, per mile driven, there are fewer accidents - but if you do end up in a motorway accident there is much less chance of you walking out of it alive.
HF
HF,
"but if you do end up in a motorway accident there is much less chance of you walking out of it alive."

IIRC that statement is incorrect.

Despite the higher speeds on motorways there are relatively few head-on collisions, cars pulling out of T junctions, or running off the road and hitting a tree etc. These are the major causes of traffic accident fatalities.

C

Tail gaters read this ... - Martin Devon
In late 1996, (date fairly unimportant I think), I travelled weekly from the West Country to West Middlesex via M5 and M4 in an Escort van. I used to hit the outside lane and go hell for leather where poss (90mph) keeping what I considerd a safe distance and foot down etc. After a couple of months I just couldn't stand the bl**dy stress and then adopted the lorry lane and rarely exceeded 65-70 mph. Average 'LOST' time..................................................................
minutes. (Truth).................Fuel saved......loads..............Stress levels v.v.v.much lower.

Save it for the track!
Tail gaters read this ... - simonsmith473©
I totally HATE tailgaters. Since i have a 2 year old son in the car most the time, i have to admit it is one of the only things that drives me to rage. People who tailgate should have their licences revoked.
Do you have a Child on Board sticker??
Tail gaters read this ... - Hugo {P}
Do you have a Child on Board sticker??

....and if so is it big enough to read without getting up close to it? :-).

H
Tail gaters read this ... - Martin Devon
In the early seventies my mate had windscreen washer nozzles fited in the boot lid of his Mini Cooper. When the prats behind got sprayed they laughed their socks off.........Hilarious..............It was BRAKE FLUID!!!
Tail gaters read this ... - Pugugly {P}
The PU family are on holiday in N Wales. Driving Westbound on the A55 tonight in quite heavy traffic. I was overtaking slow movers (around 65) at around 75 when I was tailgated by some idiot in a Dark V/W van (with an 0161 number written along its side), he must have been about 10 feet from my tailpipes. The only option I had was to boot the beast to get past the slow movers into lane 1 before letting this "driver" overtake me. I hope he enjoyed the smell and taste of diesel that must have entered his cab. He must have been pulling a ton when he overtook me.
Tail gaters read this ... - simonsmith473©
Yes i do, but this seems to make f all difference.
I bet you leave it in when the sprogs are at home too....

Which comedian was it that did a great sketch on these signs? Carrot, or Ben Elton? Or someone else?
Tail gaters read this ... - PatriciaX
Yeah, I remember seeing a senior officer in the Fire Service saying that the "advisory" signs are more dangerous than good. In an accident, the fire service will return to a vehicle over and over in search of the "infant on board" to find it. More cases than not, there was never a child in there in the first place which of course places the officers in danger.

However, thats not to say that I don't agree with them in principle but to be honest, I don't think they do a bit of good as the freshness of them has worn off and drivers do not appear to take notice anyway.

Patricia
x
Tail gaters read this ... - Steve S
It's not that drivers don't take any notice - more that if you really think about the sticker it's basis is that you should drive differently just because someone has a sprog in the car!

Which as Ben Elton hilariously pointed out - assumes that is somehow going to make the difference! i.e. you see the sticker and think - "ooer, I wasn't going to worry about driving with due care but now I've seen your sticker.........."
Tail gaters read this ... - Graham
It's a sign of the times. I've just been shopping and had difficulty in paying as when I filled my bags the woman behind poushed her trolley the the till blocking my way back to pay!

Why is it that it's usually old people who insist in pushiung at the check out. They can't possibly get out any quicker!

It's just Bad Manners; (mind you they were a good group!),
Tail gaters read this ... - No Do$h
Old people are always in a hurry. They haven't got as long to live and want to eat what they've bought first......

:o}
No Dosh - but then who has?
>>I've just been shopping and
had difficulty in paying as when I filled my bags the
woman behind poushed her trolley the the till blocking my way
back to pay!
Why is it that it's usually old people who insist in
pushiung at the check out. They can't possibly get out any
quicker!

Graham,

there's a section in every age-group of the community that has no respect for others.

I particularly have noticed, like you, the elderly people who believe that, purely because of their age, they have the right to walk/drive/whatever all over those of use who are younger.

I've also seen those, of that age group, who get offended if you offer them your seat on a bus, for example, because they don't want to admit that they're getting old. So it's a bit of a dilemma, sometimes.

I can see why the 'war generation' believes that society owes them something, because we do, but at the same time, some of them are setting examples to the young of our society of rudeness and intolerance.

It's a never-ending spiral, of course, because those who are young and DO offer courtesy, and have it thrown back in their faces, are going to learn that courtesy isn't the right way to go about things.

I think the answer is just to show as much respect as possible, to everyone, particularly the elderly, and to remember that they've maybe been through things that we're hoping we never have to see.

Sorry, this bears litle relation to the original tail-gating question, and I'll understand completely if it's removed. I DID mention seats on buses, though ;)
HF
Tail gaters read this ... - Toad, of Toad Hall.
As Marge Simpson said when she got a Baby on Board sticker: "Look what I got! Now people will stop intentionally ramming our car."

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Tail gaters read this ... - Graham
Sorry for the terrible spelling in my post above!

So I'll try to make it up to you by posting a "Reason not to tailgate" story from this morning.

M4 west bound nearing Swindon area, travelling at 70MPH inside lane, lots of braking distance. I became aware of cars swerving all over the place. Reflexes took over and I braked hard, momentarily locking the wheels on the briney surface. A car was stationary in the outside lane in the dark with NO lights on! Scary was not the word for it. Luckily everybody had sufficient space between them to avoid it. On the M25 I'm sure the result would have been different!
Tail gaters read this ... - Dom F {P}
Last year, whilst driving a 7.5-tonner, I had come over the Dartford Bridge and just settled down to a queue of traffic that went for about 5 miles the other side. Imagine my astonishment when, after an hour, of slow-moving traffic I found myself level with the cause of it... an asian bloke in an old orange Datsun with a) the bonnet up and b) the bootlid up and him in the process of changing a tyre.

If there hadn't been so many witnesses about, I'd have quite happily rammed that chump and his car off the road.

The reason we have to put up with tailgaters is simple. There are too many cars on the road at once. I've said it once and I'll say it again, limit the number of driving-licence holders at any time. You pass your test, but you can't hit the road until a current licence-holder/driver dies or relinquishes his licence. Until you do that, you are always going to have mayhem and death on our crowded roads.
There are too many cars on the road at once. I've
said it once and I'll say it again, limit the number
of driving-licence holders at any time. You pass your test, but
you can't hit the road until a current licence-holder/driver >>dies

This policy combined with the current gun culture would permanently solve the pensions time bomb as well!!! ;-)
--
"There are too many cars on the road at once. I've said it once and I'll say it again, limit the number of driving-licence holders at any time. "

I wonder if this is being tackled from another perspective.

The number of drivers collecting three points for speeding is increasing by a million per year, IIRC.

One million in 2001, two million in 2002, target three million in 2003.
? Four million in 2004, five million in 2005?

At this rate of points accumulation half the drivers will be off the road by 2010.

Problem solved.
Problem solved.

Quite serously brian this has to be a factor.

15 years ago someone with points on their licence was a maverik weirdo who should be treated with mistrust.

Now it's us weirdos with clean licences who are the misfits.

Half an hour on the M25 could easily see a ban...
--
Well, my mate's Mondeo has just become a borderline write-off thanks to a van following too close. :( He's not happy, as having just spent over £300 on 4 new tyres and an engine tune up he was hoping to hang onto the car!

Fortunately no one was seriously injured, although both he and his mam who was in the car are genuinely suffering from whiplash.

Please see my latest thread on this 'cos we need a bit of advice!

Blue
"15 years ago someone with points on their licence was a maverik weirdo who should be treated with mistrust. Now it's us weirdos with clean licences who are the misfits."

The fact that a senior politician (H. Harman) can massively exceed the speed limit and yet retain her job shows the general level of contempt for motoring laws. Imagine if she was caught sniffing coke.
Tail gaters read this ... - tomstickland
A very effective technique for deterring tailgaters is to use your left foot to very gently press onto the brake pedal so that the brake lights come on.
Tail gaters read this ... - mal
It would be safer to ignore them than invite road rage by putting on your brake lights.There is an awful lot of lunatics out there and they are best avoided if you value your life.
The fact that a senior politician (H. Harman) can massively exceed
the speed limit and yet retain her job shows the general
level of contempt for motoring laws.

I think it's just the speeding laws.

A policeman once said to me (as he was booking me) it's only three points it doesn't matter.

Which begs an obvious question.

As for HH. She truely is a conviction politician!
--
Tail gaters read this ... - teabelly
By only allowing a new licence holder to drive on the roads only when another one dies/has to give it up then aren't you going to contribute to the mayhem as it becomes open season ;-)

Tailgaiters still sit up my exhaust pipe when I have a clear stretch of road in front of me and there is no-one behind them so it is just basic courtesy that is lacking rather than road space in particular.

Looking people right in the eye while they sit up your backside is a good a method as any for making them pull back. Combine it with a rear windscreen swish of the wiper (so you can see them better) and more often than not they get back as they realise that you have had a good look at them and are not intimidated.
teabelly
I was once being tailgated by an artic.who wanted to go faster than the limit of 60mphin the outside lane of a 2 lane cariageway
but what the driver had not spotted was that the car in front was an unmarked police car so I obliglingly pulled in to the nearside lane as soon as I could and eventualy I overtook him after he was pulled over for tailgating the unmarked police car.
I have posted this story before but can not find it in the archives but I still feel no sympathy at all for the driver in spite of being criticised for my actions by some of you in my previous posting!!!!!!!.
Mark its beginning to take a long time to get to the bottom of this thread can you do something about it please. Oh and btw it was 50 not 60mph.
I was a bit disappointed today to be tailgated. Sure, the snow has been melting in a lot of places (except my road) but there's a hell of a lot of black ice around once temperatures drop below freezing. So tonight, I thought I'd take it easy, drove down a 40mph limit road at about 35mph - in keeping with what most other drivers were doing - and got bleedin' tailgated.

Just fail to see the point in this, roads are treacherous for all of us out there at the moment, and I resent being harrassed by 'Mr/Mrs need to get there immediately and that's why you are in our way'.
Huh! Annoyed now, particularly after the thread about drivers acting more courteously in this weather. Yep of course the dangers are less visible (ie not so much snow around) but what about the black ice everywhere? Rant over.
HF