Audi A6 Avant - Snow Chains for Audi A6 Avant 2002 (02 Plate) - Snow Chain Quest

Does anybody know if you can fit snow chains to an Audi A6 Avant (02 plate) with 215/55R16 tyres on a 7J rims

My manual says you can (with chains protruding less than 15mm)

Audi Customer Services say you cannot - but they recommended fitting a new set of larger profile tyres (225 vs 215) and then it would be OK (???! - surely if space is tight a larger profile would make the issue of clearance worse - but then I am not a qualified Audi technician).

Thule say you can

Rud say you cannot

Audi technical in Milton Keynes are not allowed to speak to the general public and hung up on me when I called them to ask this question

Can anybody help as I have no confidence in what the "experts" are sayying - the consequences of getting this decission wrong are at worst life threatening.

Audi A6 Avant - Snow Chains for Audi A6 Avant 2002 (02 Plate) - Peter D

Have you considered snow socks. Wider tyres will not permit chains or increase your traction in snow. www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/ Regards Peter

Audi A6 Avant - Snow Chains for Audi A6 Avant 2002 (02 Plate) - Snow Chain Quest
As a last fallback yes I have considered snow socks, they look good.
However, I need to navigate a number of steep hills to and from work and in and out of our house.
I understood that socks gave about 40 to 60% of the grip chains do.
I have no expereince of either so would prefere to go for maximum grip before considering something that offers less grip.