Toyota Carina E 1995 GLi auto 1.6 - How do you change the battery in the remote fob? - Diamond

Can't see how the remote fob comes apart to change the battery. The fob is the oblong type with a black and red button, with a three pin socket in the side. There is a slot all the way round and it appears this levers off the two halves, but I don't want to use too much force in case something snaps.

At one end is a protruding plastic piece which has the strap attaching it to the keyring, and possibly under this is a catch - I've tried levering this but to no avail.

Any ideas? Also what is the three pin socket for? I've tried searching the net but haven't come up with much.

Edited by Diamond on 24/03/2010 at 19:39

Toyota Carina E 1995 GLi auto 1.6 - How do you change the battery in the remote fob? - Gregory II

When I had this problem, I went down to my friendly local independent Toyota garage whom changed the battery for me. It had a no of small screws to take it apart. I would say it is better to do this or ask their advice. I would assume it comes apart as you say, and it is probably unlikely to break if done with care.

Toyota Carina E 1995 GLi auto 1.6 - How do you change the battery in the remote fob? - Diamond

Mine has no screws, so it must lever off somehow, the battery is fine at the moment but want to know how to change it in the future.

Sorted this out now, there is a tab locking the cover on where the strap goes. It just needs levering out so the tab pops up.