Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - redviper
I passed a Toyota dealer near me in Darlington this morning that had a massive banner on the front stating that it offered the scrappage scheme on cars just 7 years old.

I could have traded my Astra G in for that had I held onto it for a bit longer however it was a perfectly good car, it didn?t need scrapping ? I think it?s a bit to soon

What do other BR?s think?

Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - maz64
What do other BR?s think?

They're trying to offset potential damage caused by the recall?
Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - Clk Sec
It would have been a good scheme for many cars in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but far too soon to scrap a car produced in more recent times.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 05/02/2010 at 09:12

Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - boxsterboy
You can get at least £2,000 discount off any new car. They are just calling it 'scrappage' instead of 'discount'. As it is not a government scheme, they don't have to scrap your car, they just send it to the auction yard and get something for it to off-set the £2,000 discount they so generously gave you. Who knows, they might get more than £2,000 and be quids in!

Edited by boxsterboy on 05/02/2010 at 09:20

Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - jbif
Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal >>

It is not scrappage, and is nothing to do with the Government scheme to scrap cars which is ending.

It is "swappage", another word for the old fashioned "guaranteed-part-exchange-value" and it does not mean that the dealer will scrap the car. There are no Government bureaucratic rules.

Reported by HJ here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=35875

Hyundai has a similar scheme, IIRC.

Edited by jbif on 05/02/2010 at 09:31

Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - Auristocrat
The Toyota scrappage scheme is for new Toyota vehicles registered between 1st January 2010 and 31st March 2010 - so was introduced before the recall problems that Toyota have since experienced.
Toyota, not being gfted with the art of furtune telling, could hardly have introduced their swappage scheme in advance of the recalls, and in order to claw back revenue/sales that may be lost through the recalls.
Incidentally, the recall is expected to cost them £ 1.23 billion - their profits for the three months ending December 2009 were £ 1.06 billion so they look likely to lose the equivalent of four months worth of profit in order to fund the recalls.
I would be tempted to go for the swappage scheme if I had a car of the required age.
Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - primeradriver
Hyundai are also doing this.

They are not required to scrap the car, and probably won't at this age.

An aggressive scheme where Hyundai are concerned because they will effectively be selling some i10s for five grand -- if they take on a car that's worthless and don't get the government handout.
Toyota 7 Year Scrappage Deal - Brian Tryzers
>I would be tempted to go for the swappage scheme if I had a car of the required age.

I have, but I don't want to replace it with a Toyota. One in the family is enough.