What went wrong - Corvette abuse - AndyTheGreat
Warning - the following link shows a corvette being painfully abused!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6atGhmVU8

So what went wrong? My guess is that he held the brakes too hard and didn't bring the clutch up quick enough. But there are some other possible causes - tracton control? super duper grippy tyres? LSD? faulty clutch?

What do you think? - no need for comments about the stupidity of what the guy did, I think he already knows that :)

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2010 at 19:57

What went wrong - corvette abuse - corax
Well, if he was on the brakes they would be operating on all 4 wheels, so how would he be able to spin out the rear tyres? He would need brakes that operated on the front wheels only like a drag car. So the clutch burns out instead. I think!
What went wrong - corvette abuse - AndyTheGreat

Yes, correct in that brakes would be on all four wheels, but the trick is to hold enough pressure on the brakes to stop the car moving forward, but to allow the rear wheels to spin. Brakes apply most of their pressure on the front wheels.

I remember as a young lad of 17 having no trouble doing a burnout, although the cars we had in those days barely had the power to do it! Crazy things you when young eh? The guy in the vid is old enough to know better!

I'm sure J.Clarkson would have been able to do it better :) Oh, look - time for top gear :)
What went wrong - corvette abuse - Martin Devon
Isn't it such fun being allied to our American 'cousins'.

Lord give me strength.
What went wrong - corvette abuse - bathtub tom
Someone's obviously never smelt the difference between burning clutch and smoking rubber!
What went wrong - corvette abuse - DP
The trick is to get the rears spinning, then left foot gently on the brake to bring the car back to a halt. The clutch is fully engaged by this point, and there's not enough rear brake effort to overcome the engine's torque and stop the wheels spinning.

Oh how I miss my Sierra, even if it only had enough power to do this in the wet. :-)

Cheers
DP

Edited by Webmaster on 04/01/2010 at 00:40

What went wrong - corvette abuse - Fullchat
Isn't it such fun being allied to our American 'cousins'.

My thoughts exactly!

Edited by Fullchat on 03/01/2010 at 23:18

What went wrong - corvette abuse - Old Navy
It would be a novelty to find an American who knew what a clutch is.
What went wrong - corvette abuse - JohnM{P}
"It would be a novelty to find an American who knew what a clutch is" - presumably that's why no-one stopped him when the smoke first started to appear!

Note the death-wish cameraman walked in front of the car not once but twice during that!
What went wrong - corvette abuse - Group B
Note the death-wish cameraman

Yes I thought that! Risky, especially with him behind the wheel who clearly doesn't know what he's doing..
What went wrong - corvette abuse - Sofa Spud
Why would someone want to wear out their tyres by doing burnouts?

Why didn't he try and close the electric window with a brick in the way or something instead?

Quote:.."""It would be a novelty to find an American who knew what a clutch is""
American heavy trucks mostly have manual gearboxes. And a generation of Americans had VW Beetles as their first cars.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 04/01/2010 at 16:34

What went wrong - corvette abuse - AndyTheGreat
Didn't intend for this to become an American bashing thread! I just wanted to know why the stupid yank failed to do a burnout in such a powerful car! :)
What went wrong - corvette abuse - corax
Just goes to show how much I know about doing burnouts ATG, I'd like to do it, but I value my drivetrain too much! Now getting the back end out occasionally, thats a different kettle of fish!
What went wrong - corvette abuse - Group B
This bloke does a better job of it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJb_RhVmHI

Personally I dont really see the point in road cars. Its more interesting to watch a car accelerate down the road than spin its tyres away.

Can be impressive in seriously powerful drag cars where it serves the purpose of warming the tyres up. IMHO. And the noise is more impressive than the tyre smoke!
What went wrong - corvette abuse - bathtub tom
From the way they're carefully positioning it at the start, it looks like they've poured some liquid on the road. The local chavs are doing this, with oil, at a roundabout - several accidents have happened as a result.