A claim on fleet/hire insurance affect your NCB? - wazza
Brother has full NCB on his motor insurance. He sold his car and cancelled his motor insurance over a year ago and now has a company car and is a named driver on a fleet insurance. He does not have his own motor insurance. He made a claim a year ago on the fleet insurance when involved in a hit and run. He is planning to buy a small car privately. Does he have to tell the insurance company about the claim he made on a fleet insurance policy? Will it affect his NCB? He rang up the fleet insurance to ask if it affects his "personal" NCB on his personal insurance, they said it has nothing to do with it and should not affect it. He felt that the guy who gave him the advice was uncertain and was just guessing.

Thinking about it what happens if you hire a car and have to make a claim. Do you inform your insurance that you made a claim on a hire car insurance policy?

Hope the above makes sense.

Edited by wazza on 28/05/2009 at 01:17

A claim on fleet/hire insurance affect your NCB? - rtj70
Does he have to tell the insurance company about the claim he made on a fleet
insurance policy? Will it affect his NCB?

Quite simple... yes and yes. If you had an accident in a hire car (even if protected) it still needs to be declared.

Had a bad accident myself years ago in Italy and have to declare it. Well I would if I had insurance myself and I know that. But I drive a company car. But on my wife's insurance.

But we charge employees for accident excess etc. these days.

Edited by rtj70 on 28/05/2009 at 01:23

A claim on fleet/hire insurance affect your NCB? - DP
NCB and claims history are completely separate things. He will still need to declare the accident/claim he had on the fleet insurance, as the proposal form will ask him to list any accidents or claims on "any motor vehicle" in the last x (usually 5) years. This is a separate question to how many years NCB he is entitled to, and the answer will affect his premium.

If he doesn't answer the claim question truthfully, and details of the claim should become available to the insurer at a later date, it is likely to seriously jeopardise his cover.

Edited by DP on 28/05/2009 at 01:24