96 1.0 Handbrake light coming on when driving. - ffolliott
Fiat Punto - the dashboard handbrake warning light is coming on when driving at certain quite low speeds but goes off when you stop. The light work fine when you put the handbrake on to park. Seems something is loose or reacting to the forward movement of the car to make a contact somewhere and thus the light comes on.

Not had a really good look as yet but thought I would ask if anyone had had this before or could diagnose the reason.

Many thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/04/2009 at 20:11

96 1.0 Handbrake ligh coming on when driving. - Dynamic Dave
Usually this light doubles up as a low brake fluid warning light. As its only happening when you're driving, the fluid could be at the minimum level and operating the switch when the fluid gets jiggled about. That's the first place I'd start looking.
96 1.0 Handbrake ligh coming on when driving. - Red Baron
I used to have an Alfa 145 97-reg...so likely a very similar system. Going around corners, the 'handbrake' light would come one indicating low brake fluid. However, the clutch slave cylinder also used this reservoir. A hole in the gasket was the culprit. £72 to fix around six years ago.
96 1.0 Handbrake ligh coming on when driving. - bell boy
needs brake fluid checking soonest
make sure a rear cylinder isnt leaking or even a front calipor
its an idiot light in blunt terms
no offence
96 1.0 Handbrake ligh coming on when driving. - bell boy
just had a dreadful thought
these puntos rot the brake pipes out on top of the tank and i mean rot
a punto brake pipe i changed a few years ago on one of these was the worst pipe ive ever ever seen on a road used vehicle
even fiat recalled them on this
DONT DRIVE IT
check it first
96 1.0 Handbrake ligh coming on when driving. - oilrag
Don`t the brake lines run across the car in front of the tank Bellboy? As on the Mk2.

I can remember greasing ours... Can`t beat a wipe of grease Rattle (If you read this ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 20/04/2009 at 10:04