Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - oilrag
So we can squeeze every teat possible (from the battery to the big ends) - to extract your money...

You may feel you are a bit of a bull - or at least one of those rangy looking steers frisking about on Rawhide.. but no, you`re a milk cow, as soon as you are detected on dealer `radar`.

That usually means the `receptionist` behind who`s skill at pricing top dollar jobs - lurks hungry looking share holders - wanting to spend winter in Florida.

So the old story continues - you pick up the phone and ask ` How much for a brake fluid change` - "That will be £57.30p" - you then ring the other dealer (same marque) 16 miles away and it`s £30.

You remember when the first dealer tried to double up the labour for a new waterpump (to be fitted at the same time as the cambelt) and when challenged - the receptionist said " It`s an extra £120 (labour, excluding the pump )sir because we have to drain the cooling system" (done at the second dealer for £120 less)

Then you remember the time you asked the first dealer "how much to fit a new door check strap" - "That will be £75 sir" - challenged - "I made a mistake with the price sir - its £55"

Then you buy one from parts for £13 and fit it yourself - in doing so you find a shortcut through the speaker housing that lets it be fitted in 10minutes.. ( of course never intended to let them fit it - as it`s become a sport in itself getting inflated quotes)

All I can say is, be careful who you buy a car from...

That`s with me though and I`m reasonably technically minded........... At the service desk it`s obvious that 9 out of 10 people don`t have a clue and it`s more than being `milked at dawn` more like `raptors are go`

I wonder if these places are nervous enough to play background music when huddled together planning their `recession survival strategies?

Edited by oilrag on 24/02/2009 at 07:25

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - Manatee
I worked with a variety of franchised dealers for about eight years. There were honourable exceptions, but most had a culture of never telling the truth if an approximation or a downright lie would suffice, even when there was no apparent gain for them. I could never account for it.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - L'escargot
There were honourable
exceptions .........

From my 45-odd years experience as a customer of franchised dealers there are quite a lot of honourable exceptions. In fact, of those I've used, I've never found one to be dishonourable, and I'm not easily pleased.
>> There were honourable
>> exceptions .........
From my 45-odd years experience as a customer of franchised dealers ..........

After I've had work done I always check everything that's possible without actually resorting to disassembly. The Service Manager at my current (Ford) dealer welcomes queries (I won't call them complaints) because he wants the customer to be happy and he wants them to come back again in the future. I've only ever once had to make a query and that was as to whether the brake fluid had been changed because I couldn't see fresh wet fluid on the bleed nipples. I was assured that it had been done, but he insisted that, nevertheless and notwithstanding, it was done again in my presence by the fitter who had done it originally. The Service Manager said that if the fitter didn't like it, then that was tough.

Edited by L'escargot on 24/02/2009 at 09:46

From my 45-odd years experience as a customer of franchised dealers there are quite a
lot of honourable exceptions. In fact of those I've used I've never found one to
be dishonourable and I'm not easily pleased.

I didn't say the customers weren't satisfied...very often they swallow the BS. Naturally the bad dealers would paint themselves as having gone the extra mile, when they had done nothing of the kind. Classic example is when they discover a "problem" - possibly dangerous - and despite being fully booked they lend you a car and work overtime to get it done. Customer delighted to have been saved by helpful dealer from a horrible death - but theyh only have the dealer's word that the problem was in fact dangerous, or even present.

The experience ruined me to the point where my starting assumption is that I am either being given duff gen by somebody who can't be bothered to do it properly, or deliberatley lied to.

Remember I also saw this as a spectator/insider. Plus which, your experience will perhaps be skewed to the dealers you have chosen to buy from, where you have already formed an opinion of their attitudes.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - Andrew-T
This may not be the thread to mention it, but I recently bought from the Peugeot dealer in Macclesfield. It was my first visit there, and I was impressed by a vague air of friendly untidiness about the place - it felt like a proper garage, and its credentials are that a grandson and great-grandson of the 1911 founder work there, and many of the other staff have also worked there for a long time. I can't speak for their servicing, but the general impression is good. You can confirm all this from their website.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - Waino
Yes, a couple of years ago, our Ford main dealer was already preparing for the recession - the receptionist quoted my wife '£35' for changing a headlight bulb. A lad at my local independent garage (who we normally use) did it in less than two minutes - 'Oh, that's alright, mate', he said. I gave him a fiver.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - 659FBE
My local Skoda dealer wanted GBP100 to convert the headlamps to RH dip (they have provision for this by operating manually two small inaccessible levers in the lamp units). "The headlamps have to come out". So, GBP200 for a continental trip.

In fact, with a bent screwdriver, these levers can be accessed in situ with just a couple of covers removed. I did it in the ferry queue.

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - R75
That made me chuckle.

Maybe because I was in a main dealers yesterday having a new battery fitted, for the battery it was cheapest place I could find, fitted price was cheaper then I could buy the battery for elsewhere!!!!

But, the chap sat next to me got a bit of a shock, his car was in for a basic service, service reception came over and told him he needed new wipers and two new tyres, the wipers they could do there and then and the tyres they could do within the hour when their supplier had dropped them off, did he want to wait or bring the car back later?

He did not get the option of not having it done, neither did they give him a price for the work! He was an older gent and I think they may have been milking him somewhat ( they told him tyres were down to 3mm so still well above the limit).

On the flip side of the coin I am having trouble with them being able to find the source of a fault on my car!!!!
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - audi dave
"On the flip side of the coin I am having trouble with them being able to find the source of a fault on my car!!!!"

Ford main dealer I took my car to was unable to find the fault with my C-Max CVT Auto after 15 attempts and £1,500. On all but the last occasion, at least a temporary improvement was gained - enough for me to at least drive out of the dealership thinking they'd done something to lessen the hesitation problem.

The last occasion - car with dealer for 10 days - I found out (via Ford customer relations) the technician working on the car wanted me to drive it before handing over the cash. When I arrived at the dealers and asked to drive the car I was told - "all fixed no need to drive". The car was as bad if not worse than before - by which time I'd paid my money and given the courtesy car back. Got nowhere pursuing this. Gave up and lost a load of money.

My conclusion ? Ford main dealers ( or at least one of them) tell bare faced lies and customer relations back them up.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - Optimist
This is a hardy perennial topic on here which I always enjoy.

I tend to tolerate the occasional call saying "new wipers are necessary" as a trade-off against getting the dealer to look at the cars and do something at short notice when needed, and for helping on getting warranty work done. That doesn't mean I'm 100% confident that what it says on the service schedule has been carried out.

If people are being taken in and there's no room for doubt, then aren't there still offences of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception" and "being a common cheat" which the police will pursue?

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - valmiki
aren't there
still offences of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception" and "being a common cheat" which
the police will pursue?

That's brilliant! I'm going to have to remember to quote these the next time a dealer tries one. Should work a treat I think, especially on letter-headed paper and referring to legal representation ;-)

PS> I really miss the ability to save threads to my profile, a feature I value on other message boards - not that I want to change the subject

Edited by valmiki on 24/02/2009 at 13:40

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - Bill Payer
If people are being taken in and there's no room for doubt

The trouble is that these things are rarely black and white. Dealers will say that "in their opinion" brake pads etc may not last until next service and should be replaced. For everyone that complains about it there will be someone else who thinks the dealer is doing a marvellous job picking up these issues and saving them from a return visit.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - jc2
Didn't you read the post last week about replacing rear bushes;indie quoted quarter of main dealer price and when they went to collect from indie the price had gone upto main dealer price.On querying,indie said we had allsorts of problems which the dealer was expecting and had included in his quote.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - nick
I think longer service intervals are making this problem worse. The dealer has to make a judgement whether the pads/discs/exhaust etc will last up to 20k miles before they see the car again. I always have a look at such items before the car goes in for service in case they are trying it on. My experience of main dealers has been with Subaru as they're the only cars I've had new enough to be in warranty and they've not tried it on yet.
People who choose to work at a franchised dealer are just ordinary people, just like anyone who chooses to work for any other employer. There's no logic in thinking that franchised dealer employers are any less honest than the rest of society. In general, Service Managers, Sales Managers and the like are just employees. They were born just as honest as everyone else, and there's no reason to believe that their contract of employment requires them to change their moral values. Backroomers keep talking about "dealers" when they should be referring to dealers' employees.

Edited by L'escargot on 24/02/2009 at 15:27

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - TheOilBurner
There's a difference from being an immoral person (whatever that is) and working in a profession were there is sometimes pressure to a) reduce warranty claims from the manufacturer and b) increase work generated outside of warranty to keep dealers profits up, especially with generally more reliable cars and longer service intervals.

In those circumstances, even the most decent ordinary people are going to push as hard as possible against doing some warranty jobs and do other non-warranty work that might not be strictly required.

And then there's that good old fashioned problem common to any line of work, simple incompetence. Just how good are the front line desk staff at communicating symptoms to technicians, as described by the customer? Not very, as I've often seen. Half the time they don't even bother to write down (in detail) what you've told them.

Add to that variable quality of technicians that are often used to doing little more than changing oil and filters for most of their working lives (and therefore poor at complex problem solving), and it's not hard to see why so many of us grumble so much!
I'm just surprised that so many members of the general public set themselves up as being superior to car dealers' employees. If they knew what other people thought of them they might change their attitude.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - moped
Dealers employees might be suprised at what some customers think about them. At the end of the day, who pays their wages?
I'm just surprised that so many members of the general public set themselves up as
being superior to car dealers' employees.

Not at all. When I was once young and naive I used to think main dealers were like gods. Unfortunately it has only been through multiple, consistent poor experiences have my views been changed to a more cynical direction. When I do find the odd employee at a dealer who appears to be genuine and determined in doing a good job for me, the customer, then you can rest assured I give them all the respect they very much deserve.
> How good are the front line desk staff at communicating symptoms to technicians..

Never rely on desk staff to convey anything - write down what you want done, and any symptoms and other info needed. If you need to make gestures or noises, ask to do it to the technician. That should reduce the risk of unrequested work being done.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - yorkiebar
It has to be remembered there are good and bad in all trades and all parts of trades.

In my area I know of good, poor, bad and terrible quality dealers.

I work for myself because I want to have my quality of work measured and affected by nobody else but me. Dealers who employ more people (and the poorer ones employ more because the staff dont stay long) dont have that luxury.

But generally, the poor ones are fairly easily spotted by the quality of the person on the service reception desk. Is it somebody who understands a car and its problems or is it a person who is good at fronting/selling? I will let you judge which is which for quality!

In the workshop at a typical dealer, (depends on size obvioulsy) but there is likely to be 1 experienced mech who gets all the awkward work, and the awkward customers, and the diagnostics. Then there are 1 or 2 semi skilled who get to the meaty interesting jobs like clutches and non run of the mill jobs. Then finally there are 1 or 2 apprentices who do virtually all of the servicing (at top rate prices obviously). These are the ones generally inluenced by the bonus systems, and with the most opportunities to influence it. Again i wil leave you to work out how they may be able to influence it!

But if your happy with them its not a problem.

Most independant traders (not all) were likley trained at a dealers (so they have the skills required) but go out to work for themselves because they dont like various aspects of dealers attitudes and policies; its not just money either. Most will not make as much on their own for the first couple of years compared to the rates thery are paid at dealers.

And some people dont like independants either!

But the good news is that there is room, and work (currently), for both sets!

Edited by yorkiebar on 24/02/2009 at 18:47

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - ole cruiser
This is one of those threads that fill me with horror. BR's talk about "a good local indie", but how on earth do I know? The only main dealer within miles for my make of car on this site's "good garages" turned up on a Google search to have been prosecuted by Trading Standards for not renewing brake fluid when they said they had.
L'Escargot, can you give a hint about where your good Ford dealer is?
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - yorkiebar
"BR's talk about "a good local indie", but how on earth do I know? "

A good indicator of a good indie is

1 Recommended by friends or others
2 Booked in advance for at least 1 week!

A good indicator of a good dealer (imo) is to talk about a problem with the service receptionist.

hth
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - oilrag
when you make eye contact with the receptionist - back off if `three lemons` come up - followed by two £ signs.

Edited by oilrag on 24/02/2009 at 19:19

Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - madux
when you make eye contact with the receptionist - back off if `three lemons` come
up - followed by two £ signs.

I tried very hard to maintain eye-contact with the receptionist at my local dealer but it was hard with such an impressive cleavage on display. Didn't know where to look.
Turned out she knew next to nothing about anything. I wondered why they employed her.
> Back off if `three lemons` come up ..
> It was hard with such an impressive cleavage on display.

That would have been two grapefruits then? :-(
L'Escargot can you give a hint about where your good Ford dealer is?

My previous Ford dealer, which was just as good (and because of its greater size had better facilities) was Ringways at Doncaster. Servicing could be watched being carried out via a window between the showroom and the workshop so there was never any doubt as to what work had been done or which items had been worked on. By prior arrangement, immediately before a service the vehicle would be put on a hoist and the vehicle inspected in your presence by a Service Advisor. He was totally honest about what was found, and wouldn't try to force any extra work onto you. He checked the brake fluid boiling point and based brake fluid changes on that rather than on preset intervals. Wearing items such as tyres and brake pads were inspected. Mechanical soundness of items visible from the underside were checked. On one occasion we discussed a hole in the outer casing of the rear silencer and he agreed that it didn't affect the silencing efficiency and hence didn't require any action at that point.

They had a Rapid Fit centre in which tyres (and other items) were as cheap as anywhere else in the area. In addition, of course, they used genuine Ford parts.

Because I bought the car from them I was given a 10% discount on all servicing, spares and accessories. Doing business with Ringways was a totally enjoyable experience.

www.ringways.co.uk/ford/

Edited by L'escargot on 25/02/2009 at 05:12

www.ringways.co.uk/ford/

Because their good service was so comprehensive it was inevitable I would forget something.

Service department receptionists were knowledgeable, but if any clarification did happen to be required they would get the workshop foreman to come to the reception desk.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/02/2009 at 05:22

>> www.ringways.co.uk/ford/

And finally, every item and charge on the invoice was explained to you before you paid so you left the premises without any doubts whatsoever.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - ole cruiser
Thanks, L'escargot. Unfortunately I'm a long way from Doncaster. But the checklists are useful.
>>People who choose to work at a franchised dealer are just ordinary people, just like anyone who chooses to work for any other employer.

I take your point Snail, but in a badly managed dealership - and there are many - those with integrity and ability don't stay long. Yes, most people are honest, but like a fish, a business rots from the head and if the management are careerist spivs the customer will be ripped off. You or I would only stay in such a workplace for as long as it took us to find another job.

People who should be able to concentrate on 'service', what's best for the customer, are often pressured into being sales people. The workshop/service manager is under pressure to book work in and get his turnover up, the service receptionist has a target for selling air conditioning antibacterial treatment and fuel system cleaner, the technician is paid a bonus for beating the book times. The sales manager has a target for extended warranties, paint protection at hyper-inflated prices, and expensive gap insurance. None of these incentives works in favour of the customer - the workshop manager and sales manager probably report their figures weekly or at the most monthly, so the idea of building up trust and a reputation for quality work, good advice and attention to detail doesn't pay - it takes too long.

Sure, they issue questionnaires so they can monitor what customers think of them - but provided that they can keep the customer sweet with enough BS they can still get good marks. They don't need to do a good job, they just need the customer to believe they have.

Many years ago I worked in a bank. Pre-1978 when I left, it had a slightly condescending attitude to its customers if they wanted a loan, but there was great emphasis on accuracy, speedy service, and total integrity. I left around the time that those in contact with the public started getting targets for insurance, wills and investment products. Managers were targeted to collect more 'fees' for interviews, granting overdrafts, and returning cheques. The spivs prospered, those with too much of a conscience found themselves being 'performance managed'.

There are still businesses where integrity prevails - but they are generally small and privately run.
Milked at dawn - `bring it in at 8.30 sir`... - grumpyscot
Back in the late 70s I had a Saab 99 which needed a new clutch. Haynes manual said "special tool required". Went to a Saab dealer and spoke to their mechanic (no such thing as "Reception Desks" in those days! "Yes, there is a special tool, but there's way round it. This is what you do......"

Changed the entire clutch in 30 minutes. The "special tool" was replaced by a piece of thick rope to jam the clutch springs in the open position while it was being removed / replaced.

Bought the mechanic a botle of scotch!
I think the nub of the matter is that the small number of dissatisfied customers of any business, trade or profession seem to have an uncontrollable urge to make a hue and cry about it in public, whereas the large number of satisfied customers don't feel the need to say anything.
Funny how me and everyone I know seems to fall into that "small number". Most of them don't bother coming here to moan about it either, so I guess there must also be a silent majority of dissatisfied customers?

Snail, I can honestly say that when I have received at the very least acceptable customer service and my car came back with less faults than it started with, I have been vocal in showing appreciation of that garage. In that case it was an indie. I'm still waiting for a main dealer that can achieve that.