astra diesel timing chains - mike1
can anyone suggest when should the chains and tensioners be changed on the 2.0di16v? there's nothing in the owners manual and the haynes doesn't mention when to change them (only the belt on the 1.7).
the car's coming upto 170k km and i'd prefer to change the chains than the motor.
thanks
astra diesel timing chains - Robbo
I have a Vectra Di (same engine as your Astra). I have done 137k miles (220k km) in it from new with no timing chain replacement. However, I did have a problem with the injector leak-off pipes last month which incurred me a nice hefty bill from the local Vauxhall dealer. Their advice to me (which I took) was that as they had to virtually dismantle the engine anyway to change the the leak-off pipes, it would be worth my while to give them an extra £50 or so and getting them to change the chain tensioner, which (according to them) has the potential to fail in a massively expensive manner, and in an engine with 125k miles the probability of failure is quite high. Incidentally, the leak-off pipe problem (which causes the Di to not start) is a fairly common problem, so be aware.
astra diesel timing chains - Dizzy {P}
Robbo,

The only type of leak-off pipes that I am familiar with are the low-pressure pipes that run from the top of one injector to another and then back to the tank. Do you have any idea how these can cause the Vauxhall engine not to start and why it's such a big job to change them?

astra diesel timing chains - David Davies
The problem with the leak off pipes in this engine is that they do not run back to the tank as you would expect on a diesel.For some reason they are routed back to the inlet of the injector pump and hence any leaks in these pipes means air in the pump and hence the endless cold starting problems.Does anyone know why it was designed this way?
Its a big job to renew the pipes and seals because the camshaft has to be removed for access-this is what the dealer meant by 'totally dismantling the engine to change the injector seals'
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
astra diesel timing chains - Dizzy {P}
We used to run leak-off pipes back to the tank for several reasons, including giving the leaked fuel chance to cool down and to allow any entrapped air to go free. I suppose running the pipe to the injection pump instead must save a few pence.

As for having to remove the camshaft to change the injector seals ...!! Access to the injectors should be one of the first things to consider when designing a new diesel engine!

Just realised that this would be the Isuzu engine, the same one that gives starting troubles in cold weather for other reasons as well (re: earlier threads). Looks like one to avoid?
astra diesel leak-off pipes - koumides
Are you sure that the camshafts need to be removed in order to replace the injector leak-off hoses? It looks like these can be replaced externally by just pulling them out and squeezing the new ones in. This job was done on my Astra in the shop within a few minutes.

By the way, does anyone know where can I buy a workshop manual for the Astra diesel (2.0 DTL, 16 valve)? It would be very helpful for anyone to respond on this.
astra diesel timing chains - wemyss
Have posted this before reference the leak off pipes. I had the same trouble with non-starting and Vauxhall main dealers said it was the injector seals and was a 5 hour job at £56.00+vat per hour.
A friend up the road who is an ex Vauxhall mechanic said they always say this to generate work and in 90% of cases its only the leak off pipes which need renewing.
He changed them for me in 10 minutes with just having to take the plastic cover off the top of the engine.
He cut them a few inches before they go on to the spigots. Sprayed WD 40 up the stubs and pulled them off with mini mole grips. Refitting took a couple of minutes. The old pipe was the fluffy braided type and he replaced it with the later hard rubber type simply cut to size with a knife.
Problem solved and the non-starting was cured.
He did say that the remaining 10% with this problem was indeed the injector seals and was a 5 hour job which he wouldnt attempt on the drive.
However a small one man garage owner was telling me later that he had done one without removing the camshaft and it had been a terrible job but he managed it. Incidentally I thought that when they were talking of injector seals that it was a washer sealing the injector nozzle to the head but apparently not???
Don't let them change your injector seals without first changing the pipes....