Insurance - What defines modification ? - gmac
We all know if you modify your car by changing the engine management system to increase power output, put bigger wheels on, modify air filter/exhaust system, upgrade the stereo etc... you have to by law notify your insurance company and they review and change your policy accordingly or decline cover and you have to find alternative cover or remove the modifications.

What if, you take out a policy to which you add European cover which covers you at the same level as it does driving in the UK, i.e. fully comp. level.
If you then put winter wheels and tyres on the car to drive in Northern Europe over the winter (which is a legal requirement in most countries) would that be classed as a modification or are you simply complying with legal requirements?
Insurance - What defines modification ? - Dwight Van Driver
We can all speculate on what is what isn't a mod but at the end of the day the final words rests with the Insurance Company. They should be consulted as the first point of contact for it is them who hold the golden purse.

dvd
True, the insurance company should be consulted however, I can't find anything which states as a guideline if a car is modified to comply with the law if this is classed as a modification or compliance.
I'm not asking for speculation just if someone can offer any documentation or link to clarify as asking an insurance agent results in blank stares allround and a Little Britain - computer says no answer.
Insurance - What defines modification ? - doug_r1
How many people replace oem shocks/tyres/brakes with factory parts, so is that a modification?
Insurance - What defines modification ? - Mapmaker
I heard of somebody who bought a set of steel wheels and winter tyres for driving to the Alps. He told his Ins Co who wanted £100 to cover the replacement wheels... which replaced a set of alloys!
Insurance - What defines modification ? - SlidingPillar
I don't think all insurance companies are like that. Indeed I'd have thought that most would just say, ok.

I've got an A4 list of performance modifications I've made to the Morgan 4/4 over the years and as three companies over the years have not even put the price by 1p I'm fairly happy saying it.

Indeed although I'm inclined to declare things, winter tyres and wheels would not have been on the list as they are not performance enhancing (top speed is the same, but increased grip on icy surfaces) and I can't imagine a thief would be more attracted, seems to me they'd be less attracted. Of course the logic may be the dry tarmac abilities are reduced, but then old tyres of any type are the same.

I'd be interested in the true reason.

Finally spoke to a bod in the insurance company. They will add a note to the policy of wheel change but no extra premium. Main concern for them was the speed rating of the tyres.
Obviously, going from a Y rated 91 weight rated tyre to a 130mph H rated 91 weight rated tyre is a major concern for driving on snow and ice as you are likely to be "pressing on" in those conditions.
I'm sorry but even on a German autobahn I'm unlikely to be nudging 130mph in the snow and ice with the two little 'uns in the back !

Still leaves me with the question if the authorities require a change, is it a modification ?

Edited by gmac on 15/10/2008 at 21:09

Insurance - What defines modification ? - jbif
Still leaves me with the question if the authorities require a change, is it a modification ?

There is a case currently with the Ombudsman where the Insurer has refused to pay out on a stolen car because the owner had not declared that the car had no-cost optional, factory-fitted alloys and "tinted-glass" [heat reflecting "privacy" glass].

Edited by jbif on 15/10/2008 at 21:18

The difference is these were no cost factory fit options as opposed something which is mandatory under law.
Usually, insurance companies ask you to list anything which is not on the standard spec sheet from the factory.
The insurance co. I'm with will allow a change of alloys with no premium loading (they will add a note to the policy on notification though) but, I'm pretty sure there would be an extra to pay if trading up from steel to alloys which would be expected, I think, and not unreasonable.
Insurance - What defines modification ? - Group B
but I'm pretty sure
there would be an extra to pay if trading up from steel to alloys which
would be expected I think and not unreasonable.

I bought my car with 195/60 tyres on 15" steel wheels, and fitted 205/50 tyres on 16" OE alloys (size is listed in the handbook as a standard fit for the model).
I notified the ins. co. and they said "its not an issue but we'll make a note of it for value purposes", and there was no increase in premium.
My handbook also has a spec for winter tyres, so I would not expect an additional insurance charge for fitting winter tyres in the recommended size.

Probably depends on the insurer; and may be the case if you change up to bigger non-standard sizes?

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 16/10/2008 at 12:59

Insurance - What defines modification ? - Mike H
Interesting question as I have a set of winter wheels and tyres for regular trips to Austria. I never thought of informing my insurance company, as like you say I am fitting them to meet legal requirements.

However, on the speed rating, if you go with the manufacturers recommendations, then you can't be faulted. For example, I have a Saab 9-5 Aero estate, for which the handbook states the standard load/speed rating is 94W. The winter tyres are 94H in a significantly narrower profile and smaller diameter (205/55x16 as opposed to the "normal" fit of 225/45x17s), but once again, these are the tyres as stated in the handbook. As you say, H-rating is quite enough if the conditions are bad!