BBC's container experiment. - Pugugly
Worth a follow I think - bearing in mind how many of these we see on our roads and the potential that at least bits of cars will no doubt be part of it's global cargo.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7600053.stm
BBC's container experiment. - Dipstick
That's pretty good. Be nicer if it either showed the actual coordinates or linked directly to Google Earth with a flyby kml file, but I suppose you can't have everything. Unless I've missed that option.

If you zoom in enough you can deduce some extra stuff - looks like it went by road to Crewe, then by rail to Glasgow, waited three hours to be unloaded before moving to the whisky place by road, etc.

BBC's container experiment. - Altea Ego
And it was hijacked by somalian pirates who found the cargo of whiskey (as advertised on the web) was stolen in Southampton.
BBC's container experiment. - Dipstick
Goodness me, I'm no drinker, but I think your entertaining scenario would involve a diversion to the Emerald Isle before it could become valid.

BBC's container experiment. - Armitage Shanks {p}
A sign of the times, or perhaps past times, that a container is going by road and/or rail from a port in Scotland to a port in South UK. Not a good start! I suppose there aren't any container ports left in Scotland.
According to the 0ne O'clock News its going to Greenock container post.
Its in the wrong end of the country then
BBC's container experiment. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Not according to the map in the link you first posted PU. Perhaps it is a schematic - like the London Underground map?
BBC's container experiment. - BobbyG
AE, just clicked on the link, shows it in the Greenock "area"?
Says Southampton on the Website, Greenock on the news.
BBC's container experiment. - BobbyG
That link shows it left Southampton on the 9th and is now full of whisky sitting near Glasgow?
BBC's container experiment. - daveyjp
Bobby G correct - the BBC can't spell Scotch Whisky and they don't know much about Geography - standards are slipping!
quite right bobby

I didnt check the times. It left southampton empty, is now at greenock full of whisky.

BBC's container experiment. - Stuartli
I'm quite sure that this particular container will be guided to its final destination with the utmost care and accuracy.

Having the words BBC News emblazoned on its sides may play a key role....:-)
BBC's container experiment. - mfarrow
If you zoom in enough you can deduce some extra stuff - looks like it
went by road to Crewe then by rail to Glasgow

I beg to disagree. I think it went all the way by rail - either that or a very unusual driving route via Leamington and Crewe town centres. I don't think there is an intermodal depot around Crewe for it to use.
What happened when it got to Belfast though ?
BBC's container experiment. - mfarrow
I meant up to Glasgow - nice try ;-)
No,, No I was serious, I figured it had gone by train to Glasgow as well, when it gets to Belfast it cuts across country and straight into the sea.
BBC's container experiment. - welshlad
i would laugh my head off if its filled with stolen car parts and shipped to nigeria at some point in it travels i can see the headlines now 'BBC HELPS CAR THIEVES FENCE THEIR GOODS' :-))
BBC's container experiment. - martint123
when it gets to Belfast it cuts across country and straight into the sea.

And there was me, thinking they had it on the trailer of an Amphicar.
BBC's container experiment. - R75
I will bet that it is costing next to nothing to ship it to China, when I was involved in container shipping we could get one out to China etc virtually for free. Balance of trade all comes this way so many empty containers sat here in the UK, shipping co. do not want to carry empty containers so do massively reduced rates for west to east shipping - hence why so much recycled paper and metal ends up in them.
There's one in the next town - converted to an youth shelter. I have made a suggestion when certain youths congregate in it - mmmm almost free to China eh ?
BBC's container experiment. - R75
Now that would be a turn up for the books - people traffiking from West to East, still, at least it sounds so ludicrous that no one would believe you!!!
BBC's container experiment. - billy25
for those of you that are following "the Box" it has just docked in Southampton (17:10) aboard the Nyk Artemiss, after it's sailing from Scotland to Dublin aboard the Vega Stockholm. The Nyk shipping line is (i believe) to have thw contract to take it to its first main destination, China. I think it will now be stuck in Soton for the next week, awaiting another Nyk ship.
if you are interested in following "live" shipping around our coast, you can track it here.

www.aisliverpool.co.uk/currentmap.php? (link made non-clickable)

billy

Ever wondered where your licence fee goes? - helmet
Don't know if this has already been posted,but:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/business/2008/the_box...m

And it's associated pages.

moved to the original thread

Edited by Pugugly on 17/09/2008 at 21:16

Ever wondered where your licence fee goes? - pendulum
Good find. I'm currently browsing around on iPlayer to look for something interesting to watch for an hour or two. There's nothing decent that I can find. Rarely has been the last few months.
www.aisliverpool.co.uk/currentmap.php?

Billy that is one of the best finds on the web in ages - what a fascinating site !
There was another one (that I've lost) showing a similar thing for aircraft that I spent a long time watching.
BBC's container experiment. - Dave_TD
All our lorries at work are tracked, updating at 10-minute intervals. Only on the screens at work though, no way to pull the information up at home.

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:33

BBC's container experiment. - Citroënian {P}
yes I agree brilliant site. Watched the iow hovercraft go back and forward for a while. Would be interesting to have the site when sat at say the Mersey or teesport to see what was what and where it's going.

If anyone has a link to the aircraft one I'd like to see that too.

Struggling to find a motoring link here - er maybe it would be interesting to know where all the cars on the roads are going but with all the anpr around maybe the authorities already have that information.
Well loads of "vehicle transporters" bobbing around in the oddest places....
If anyone has a link to the aircraft one I'd like to see that too.

Looks like they have stopped the live one....

Using WebTrak you can track the flight activity in and out of Heathrow Airport. The system also provides information on each aircraft's height, speed, aircraft type and flight number. Please note: The data displayed on WebTrak is delayed by 24 hours due to security reasons.

lhr.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html

BBC's container experiment. - welshlad
so there we have global domination of the world economy only exsists between portsmouth and dublin.........what a small world eh!!!

im betting the container is now in some scrap yard full of bed springs and bicycle frames