2007 1.8 Fitting Roof Bars - backtodiesel
Having got the correct roof bars and feet I am wondering how to put the bolts into the roof. I thought that the roof under the roof slots was supposed to "give in" to the bolts easily but am wondering if I need to drill pilot holes?

Any help, suggestions happily received.

Cheers

Chris
2007 1.8 Fitting Roof Bars - Fullchat
Is this a cosmetic modification or do you have a purpose for the bars? There are already factory fitted mounts for roof bars to fit topboxes, bike racks etc.
If you are doing it for cosmetic purposes then you have your work cut out. The headlining will have to be pulled down for access. There may even be some indication as to where the pilot holes should be. Having said that I do not know the definitive answer. Drilling holes in a roof in the right position seems fraught with danger!
2007 1.8 Fitting Roof Bars - Pete Mansell
It is quite easy. Remove the plastic trim bits. There are tapped holes ready for the mounting bolts, but the holes are full of sealant. If you carefully feel around for the soft sealant (which had probably been painted over), it can be easily removed with a small screwdriver or similar.

Edited by Pete Mansell on 05/09/2008 at 10:25

2007 1.8 Fitting Roof Bars - Fullchat
There we are then! Someone who knows.
2007 1.8 Fitting Roof Bars - backtodiesel
Thanks I will get a screw out and go poking!