Queue jumping - Natty Bumppo
On my way to work there is a stretch of 2 lane road where the left lane is usually solid with slow moving traffic (it leads to a traffic lit crossroads and then to a motorway). The right hand lane is normally fairly free as it becomes right turn only at another set of lights about a quarter of a mile before the crossroad.'
It is common for vehicles to come shooting up the right hand lane and dive into a gap, if there is one, or stop when they can't go any further and signal left and wait for someone to let them in. This is deliberate and most annoying.
I know a guy who does this every time he uses this road. Who does he blame? "The mug (his word) that lets me in. If he didn't let me in I wouldn't do it." He is serious and can see nothing wrong with his behaviour.
So next time you are in a queue of traffic and some queue jumper comes up the outside, or inside, lane and signals he/she wants to pull into your lane just think that it might be the guy I know and if you let him in he will, metaphorically, stick two fingers in the air and say to himself 'THANKS MUG'.
DON'T DO IT. LEAVE HIM SAT THERE ALL DAY!
Queue jumping - OldSock
Not particularly uncommon.

Sometimes, lane markings at junctions like this don't help much. The right-hand lane will often have a 'straight on' arrow at the first set of lights, only to become a 'right only' arrow at the next. It could be argued that a driver is quite entitled to use the RH lane leaving the first set of lights.....
Queue jumping - helicopter
This ticks me off very much. Ignorant and rude behaviour by people who should know better.

I have a similar place where this happens on the way to work where the right hand lane is solid queue for a mile or so .

Its usually obvious if someone genuinely does not know the area but I regularly prevent the local queue jumpers pulling in front, particularly the ones who you know are taking the mickey , ie the local taxis , local white van men ( and any BMW owners.)

Maybe its inconsiderate behaviour by me but it makes me feel better....

Queue jumping - ForumNeedsModerating
Not that I tend to do this, but to me it's just good use of road space. The road planners could presumably have made the first stop 'right turn only' if thay wanted, but didn't. If everyone treated the 2-lane as being valid for 'straight on' or 'right at next junction' , (i.e. they queued in each lane in turn , more or less equally) , then a simple 'merge in turn' before the next junction would see less of a tailback at the 1st junction - win, win I'd say! Trouble is, people in the UK have great difficulty with the 'merge in turn' concept - it's usually perceived as someone trying to 'get one over' on you.
Queue jumping - SteVee
I'd agree with woodbines - a good use of road space. He's doing nothing wrong, IMO.
I probably wouldn't let him in - but I wouldn't close a gap to stop him moving across either.
I couldn't care less if he thinks I'm a mug.
Queue jumping - daveyjp
At least they make an attempt to move over to the straight ahead lane. Round here it's right hand lane, floor it and go straight on anyway.
Queue jumping - MichaelR
This sort of situation is for BMW drivers. We are slightly more bright than your average driver so are not dim enough to simply sit in a queue half a mile before the junction, so instead will use the perfectly legal, perfectly open lane to drive along, and then merge in at the point where the lane becomes right turn only.

The British are the only nation with this sort of obsession for queuing. Use all available, legal road space, and merge in turn. That way we can turn half mile long tailbacks into quarter mile long tailbacks.
Queue jumping - normd2
i've been known to jump the odd queue but I don't think 'mug', I think ' oh look at that empty stretch of road, I'll just use that...'
Queue jumping - moonshine {P}

in this situation its just plain rude and arrogant. It does nothing to help the traffic flow and is nothing to do with merging in turn.

If you have a 2 lane road going down to one lane, say for road works, then it makes sense for both lanes to be used as much as possible with cars merging at the appropriate point.

Jumping the queue is rude and annoys other drivers causing them to sometimes drive dangerously. How do I know its rude and inconsiderate? Well, I admit that I know becuase on occasions I have done it myself.

Forgot to say in the earlier post - Im British and I have no obsession with queuing. Im all for doing what we can to get the traffic moving and make effective use of the road. However, i despise people who jump the queue. It doesnt make the traffic go any faster, it only delays me even further.

You make it sound like Brits enjoy queuing - I certainly dont!
Queue jumping - Telco
I too have this problem, dual carriageway leading to a major crossroads.
In a morning traffic to go straight on or turn left can be queing for half a mile or so.
The right lane is clear, so those who are too important to queue head down the right lane until the lights and then take their chance at getting into the left lane.
Unfortunately, if they can't, they then sit there with their indicator on blocking the
RH lane. This causes those behind them often to miss the green light on the RH turn and on this particular juntion it is quite a while till the next. Just what you don't need in the morning.

The thing is, that I can almost certainly tell who is going to pull this stunt before they do, due to a sixth sense based upon a combination of driving style and vehicle being driven.
Its me again.
I agree with you Telco and it happens to me frequently getting stuck behind some idiot stopped signalling left and I miss the green light to turn right.
They have no right to delay my journey in a selfish attempt to reduce their delays. 'Making good use of road space' is a euphemism for 'trying to justify my bad driving'.
Queue jumping - Ruperts Trooper
So how far BEFORE a lane restriction should you get in the correct lane? 50m, 500m or 3 miles?

We have a stretch of dual carriageway on one of the approaches/exits to our town - it's punctuated every 200m or so by roundabouts - some drivers round here who want to turn right at the 7th roundabout get into the right lane as soon as the dual carriageways starts, that's 2 miles before they actually want to turn right.

The 2007 Highway Code now includes "merge in turn", rules 134 and 288, but most drivers will only obey rules in the out-dated version of Highway Code from when they passed a test - or not obey rules!
Queue jumping - drbe
Use both lanes - that's what they are there for.

Merge in turn - you know it makes sense.

Later today I will be driving along the A329 in Bracknell Berkshire. Near the fire station the two lanes narrows into one lane. There is even a sign which says 'merge in turn'.

So - what's the problem?
Queue jumping - Westpig
the problem is thus:

if you use the o/s lane because it is more free (which i often do), but can't get in at the end as there's no space to merge left.......then you should follow the lane you're in and re-calculate your route

if you don't want to risk having to go the wrong way for a bit, because of the above, then you'd need to ensure you got into the left lane when you can, even if this is some distance back.

What is completely 'pig ignorant' is to sit there blocking a lane, because your 'cunning plan' hasn't come to fruition......or turn left and 'drive at' the most vulnerable looking driver you can find (which I have seen more than once).

Twice recently i've been caught out driving in unfamiliar places (Brighton seafront in road works and Gravesend town centre in rush hour) and got myself in the wrong lane. Fortunately other drivers helped me out, but sometimes the signage is dreadful as you cannot always see the signs on the ground. Why not have overhead ones?
Queue jumping - cheddar
Should always be merge-in-turn so both lanes are used avoiding congestion further back.
Queue jumping - Mad Maxy
These 'sour grapes' posts about supposed queue jumping are pathetic. If everyone formed two equal-length queues and merged in turn the delay would be the same for everyone. If there's empty road space I'll use it - and I expect/want other drivers to do the same.

If there are three slow-moving queues on a congested M-way, how many of you keep pace with the slowest one, so as not to 'unfairly' get ahead of the others?
Queue jumping - Lud
So - what's the problem?

Problems arise when there isn't a clear instruction e.g. 'use both lanes/merge in turn'. When drivers are left to make their own decisions, what seems rational and efficient to some seems like pushy selfish Beemerista behaviour to others. There is enormously wide variation in people's attitudes to 'making progress', with some fairly wide awake and others apparently in a coma. It is the co-presence on the road of these varieties of ability and intelligence that causes unnecessary eddies and resonances in the traffic flow, slowing it down.

The mood of traffic can be very important and make a 50% difference in ease of flow.
Queue jumping - Lud
At the bottom end of Castelnau there's a traffic light next to a dealer in American cars. The n/s lane bears left towards Barnes Common, the r/h lane is a right turn lane.

Someone tried to push in front of me from this lane once and bear left in front of me, but I didn't let him (I think it was probably a man). He carried on down the middle of what is quite a narrow bit of road hoping I would drop back, but I didn't. I scraped him off against the bollard just before Barnes Common, as did a couple of cars behind me. That'll learn him!

I am blushing today as I write this over twenty years later. I hardly ever do that sort of stuff now. I let the pushers push and the mimsers mimse, and try to swim through the soup without getting an apoplexy. Life is hard O! (as they say in Lagos).
Queue jumping - drbe
the r/h lane is a
right turn lane.

Which if I understand the OP correctly is an entirely different situation.

The problem is that people dont merge in turn.

The second problem is that two lanes merging into one is a different situation to that described here.
At the deep, deep heart of this I'm sure it's that's little weevil in all of us, to some degree, that doesn't like being overtaken, full stop. As someone pointed out - if you ever change lane to turn left or right, & it involves moving past another vehicle, then that is effectively a 'merge in turn' - the question debated is about the efficiency (or lack of) of where that happens.

On the 'pro' side, it can mean using available road space & merging only when physcially necessary, to the 'antis' it means never apparently being seen to have gained an advantage of any kind - even it that meant queueing for 2 miles in one lane & causing a much longer queue. I agree, road markings could encourage correct merging more pro-actively, with nice big arrows, signs & chevrons - but even then I've seen people bumper-hugging the car in front in their attempts to stop someone merging.
Queue jumping - Lud
As woodbines points out, some people can't bring themselves to merge in turn even when it's the obvious thing to do and everyone else is doing it. There is no solution to louts and fools who are always with us.
Queue jumping - Leif
I'd agree with woodbines - a good use of road space. He's doing nothing wrong
IMO.

Not necessarily. If he has to stop and wait for someone to let him in, he is blocking a lane, and inconveniencing those in that lane.

Depends on the roas markings and signs though.
Queue jumping - Roly93
Its usually obvious if someone genuinely does not know the area but I regularly prevent
the local queue jumpers pulling in front particularly the ones who you know are taking
the mickey ie the local taxis local white van men ( and any BMW owners.)

Crikey! I'm glad I went over to Audi !

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/11/2007 at 19:08

Queue jumping - L'escargot
Just so long as they don't damage my car in the process I'm not really bothered. One of the nice things about being retired is that you're rarely in a hurry. If someone wants to jump in front of me I just look on it as adding variety to my life. Bring it on, you queue jumpers!
--
L\'escargot.

I'll look out for you next time Im in the supermarket - all these years I've been queueing up behind the 'oldies' when I could just be jumping the queue.
I'll look out for you next time Im in the supermarket - .......

Be my guest, moonshine. A poor life this if full of care we have no time to stand and stare!
--
L\'escargot.
Queue jumping - Leif
There is a short stretch of dual carriageway in central Luton, and at the end it splits, one lane left, one lane right. The left lane is always full, the right empty. So invariably cars zoom down the right lane and then nip in. I've nearly been hit, and I've seen a few bangs. On one occasion the car to the right of me simply turned left, and drove parallel to me along a one lane road. I was sure he would destroy my car, but he didn't. Madness.

This is exacerbated by heavy congestion due to bad road layouts and drivers who often ignore lights, so even were the road layout better, it would not work.
Well I'm glad to have given all you guys a chance to air your views. I hope you all feel better.
I wish I was as phlegmatic as L'escargot but being queue jumped at 6-30am is not my idea of fun, especially shortly after getting out of a nice warm bed, which is obviously not a problem with our friendly gastropod. Did you see what time he posted his last message?

Queue jumping - ijws15
I use the empty lane

I do not drive a BMW

The highways authority put it there to use, not for it to stand empty, why are so many drivers too stupid to realise that!
Put the 2007 Highway Code on your Xmas list - some things have changed since you learnt to drive !!

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 29/11/2007 at 10:07

Queue jumping - therealbil
You've got it! pity that a few others haven't read it yet.

The yanks have been zip merging for years, it's about time we got around to using sme common sense. (oh i forgot... common sense isn't that common..is it?)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/11/2007 at 21:39

Queue jumping - drbe
An update on my post at 15.34 yesterday (Wednesday). I successfully negotiated the A329 in Bracknell, I obeyed the request to "please merge in turn" where the two lanes narrow to one lane.

So far as I can tell this arrangement seemed to be acceptable to all road users. No one appeared to annoyed, frustrated or to feel that they had been "queue-jumped".

The situation was even acceped by BMW drivers - odd isn't it?
Queue jumping - Cliff Pope
>>
The highways authority put it there to use not for it to stand empty why
are so many drivers too stupid to realise that!

But the question is, use it for what?
You could apply your argument to any unused section of road. Why not the other carriageway - in the rush hour it's not used either.
...our friendly gastropod. Did you see what time
he posted his last message?

I was just winding down after a night on the tiles, waiting for my cocoa to boil!
--
L\'escargot.
Queue jumping - Mutton Geoff
A black cab driver once told me he used the "1 in 4" rule in these situations. If there was more than a 4 car advantage with another lane he'd use it as a quarter of all drivers on the road would let you back in.

Queue jumping - ijws15
Another example - joining the M6 Northbound from the roundabout under Spagetti Junction at 5:30 on a weekday - Madness you say!

Two lanes leave the roundabout and a couple of hundred yards up there is a sliproad for M6 South but TWO lanes continue past it.

What is wrong with going up the right hand lane and merging with traffic (actually the way it is marked the sheep in the LH lane have to merge with you!

Now if it was marked for the RH lane to go off for M6 south . . . . but it is not so using it for M6 North is legitimate and if more did it the queue would not obstruct the roundabout!
Queue jumping - BobbyG
Going back to the OP, if I am reading correctly he is saying people are going down the right turn only lane and then cutting in. I think this is wrong and you cannot use the "road is empty" excuse.

Re merging, and I have said it before, the problem we have with merging is that one line of traffic is already in the correct lane and so do not want to give up their space. So 800 yards before roadworks, for example, if outside lane is signalled as being closed people will sit in the inside lane as they know they are in the correct lane to proceed.

But if the two lanes had to "give way" to a middle lane then I believe merging would work much better as no one has the perceived right of way. How many times do you come across crossroads where the traffic lights are out and the traffic flows much more freely as everyone is aware and watching out as they all know that everyone and no one has the right of way?

When you cross the Forth Road bridge at the tolls, you come out the other side of the tolls and it is something like 6 lanes into 2. In all my time crossing this I have never seen an accident at this bit. I have seen several on the bridge though!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Queue jumping - Bilboman
It strikes me that if the authorities cannot or will not paint proper signs or lane markings in places like these (and remember that a painted arrow sign has no legal authority per se; most of the time you can't see it anyway as another driver is above it!) then the simplest solution seems to be: get rid of all lane markings and have a free for all. That way no one clearly has priority, everyone is strenuously attempting to avoid a bump and - only guessing here - we end up with freer flowing traffic and no holdups. Sensible?
Queue jumping - Kevin
"Merge in turn"?

It sounds very civilised doesn't it?

Well, it would be civilised if everyone played by the rules. Unfortunately, most drivers who quote "Merge in turn" think that only their interpretation of the rules apply. Instead of "merging" in good time, they leave it till the last minute before running out of road and then try to intimidate someone into letting them merge. All too often the temptation for them to overtake just one more car is irresistible, even if there's a decent gap to merge behind it.

Thankfully it's very easy to identify the rogues by their driving "body language". Drivers who genuinely intend to "merge" will match their position and speed to the vehicles in the lane they want to "merge" with. The rogues arrogantly hare up to a restriction and then expect everyone else to make room for them because it's "Merge in turn".

The excuse that it's helping traffic flow by using all the available road space doesn't wash I'm afraid. If I need to brake or stop to allow someone to "merge" it has a concertina effect on all the vehicles following me. It actually makes overall progress slower. A two lane 1/4 mile tailback takes longer to clear than a single lane 1/2 mile tailback simply because of the merging.

>So how far BEFORE a lane restriction should you get in the correct lane? 50m, 500m or 3 miles?

Only a "slightly more bright" BMW driver could ask this question.

You merge as soon as you can with the least inconvenience to other drivers, distance is irrelevant. If you know you will have to merge and can see a suitable slot - use it, there's no guarantee that there will be another one further on.

In the end it boils down to:

If you play nicely with me I'll let you in. If not, I'll shut the door on you without hesitation.

Kevin...

Kevin - you are absolutley spot on and I agree 100% with everything you say!

merging in turn = ok

queue jumping - not ok

People might not admit it, but everyone on here is smart enough to know the difference between merging and queue jumping.

To those who think it's ok to queue jump I look forward to making use of that empty space next to you at the checkout in the supermarket and 'merging' in front of you. And of course, you can't complain becuase I'm making the best use the space available and will help everyone get through the checkout quicker :)
Queue jumping - ijws15
>So how far BEFORE a lane restriction should you get in the correct lane? 50m
500m or 3 miles?
Only a "slightly more bright" BMW driver could ask this question.
You merge as soon as you can with the least inconvenience to other drivers distance
is irrelevant. If you know you will have to merge and can see a suitable
slot - use it there's no guarantee that there will be another one further on.

So as I join the M1 from the M25 I should be entering the right lane for the roadworks up beyond Sheffield should I? Asterisks beckoning!

I believe traffic engineers prefer us to use all the road and merge in turn at the front, what causes the problem is those who insist on merging far too early causing the queue and then objecting to others using the clear lane legally. If you don't like it don't leave a clear lane - use it legally, i.e. don't cause an obstruction.

Queue jumping - OldSock
So what is the opinion on those 'helpful' lorry drivers who take it upon themselves to hang back a mile or so from the merge point and proceed to keep pace with the crawling LH lane queue?
Queue jumping - car junky
If bothar not used then the orignal 1 lane queue would be much longer...queue jumping is the lesser of two evils!
Although I don't tend to merge in turn (or queue jump as the contras say..) at the last available point (because I don't like the adverse reaction it often causes) , I fully agree with the 'using all road space to best advantage' tendency.

The problem comes because the left-lane-early brigade produce very long queues, which when a 'last merge point' Jonny appears to fill, builds a sense of resentment - if everyone merged in turn & filled both lanes more or less equally, such resentment would never occur.
The approaching driver, in those circumstances, would be presented with 2 equal-ish queues
& progress for all would be enhanced. All rather chicken & egg I suppose.
Queue jumping - drbe
if everyone merged
in turn & filled both lanes more or less equally such resentment would never occur.

Abso - jolly - lutely right.

Don't look for a fight, when it's completely unnecessary.
Isn't it curious how pedestrians seem to be able to merge in turn without any problems?

Watch people leaving a cinema after a film. Queues of people from each row seem to merge quite amicably in the aisle, which in turn merges with the queue from another aisle nearer the exit. How do they do it, with no highway code, no lane markings, no lights to flash?
Some people may chose a different exit to aim for, and possibly reach the street before others. Do they run on and try and barricade the other exit, or stick their arms out to stop others passing?
..Some people may chose a different exit to aim for, and possibly reach the street before others. Do they run on and try and barricade the other exit, or stick their arms out to stop others passing?

An amusing prospect! Also, would the big fat guy, carrying a bag, also position himself midway in the double width aisle, to stop people whizzing past to the exit ..I wonder. No diss to big fat guys btw - just a handy analogy! It does highlight, when put in that context, the 'madness' of car drivers.
Queue jumping - GrahamG
I suggest you that you simply think positive. Look at the vast majority of civilised drivers in the queue compared with the 10% (or less than 5%?) that don't know how to behave or don't want to behave in a reasonable manner. Keeping so close to the car in front could also have it's consequences. I can't help thinking that such selfish drivers are almost certainly self-centred at other times too. Not the sort of people I would tend to be friends with.
Queue jumping - hxj

So travelling to Birmingham today

1. North along M6 to Spaghetti - see the queue mile+ before the exit in the inside lane. Do I join the end like heck I do. I drive the mileand a bit in the middle lane with 100 yards to go the queue disappars and I indicate left, pull into the inside lane and exit the motorway, having travelled at 55-60 mph all the way along the mile or so

Is that queue jumping?

2. Along the Aston Expressway drive down the outside lane join the queue where two lanes merge usually in turn and civilised. A driver decided to deliberately block me from merging in turn.

Who is behaving unreasonably?
Queue jumping - sir_hiss
Not as bad as the drivers who think its their job to straddle both lanes to prevent said queue jumpers from overtaking them.
Not as bad as the drivers who think its their job to straddle both lanes
to prevent said queue jumpers from overtaking them.

When there's been an obstruction blocking one or more lanes of a crowded dual carriageway I've always been grateful for the truckers who've done this.
--
L\'escargot.
Queue jumping - Mattster
"Merge in turn" - gramatically incorrect. Merging implies two parts joining together. You can't merge individually, therefore you can't take turns to merge. Not only that, it's usually accompanied by a diagram of a bent arrow which looks like a turn (other use of the word 'turn').

Faced with this poorly described instruction, my only option is to jump the queue.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
"Merge in turn" - gramatically incorrect. Merging implies two parts joining together. You can't merge
individually therefore you can't take turns to merge.

It depends whether you are looking at the wave or the particle nature of the stream.
Queue jumping - Kevin
>So as I join the M1 from the M25 I should be entering the right lane for the roadworks up beyond
>Sheffield should I?

If you genuinely are incapable of making a decision by yourself about when it is or is not appropriate to move lane then I suggest you take the train. It will be less stressful for everyone.

To see how merging can work drive up the M3 to the M25 in morning rush hour. Progress is usually best in the left hand lane even though more vehicles are joining from the sliproads. The reason is that drivers on the sliproad match their speed to the vehicles already on the Mway and the vehicles on the Mway have enough time to leave them a gap without braking. They are actually merging and traffic moves relatively smoothly. Meanwhile, the middle and outer lanes are continuously stop-start because of the fools dodging from lane to lane into almost non-existent gaps causing the brake light concertina.

In short, it's common sense and courtesy that makes it work - not some stupid "Merge in turn" sign put up to spark a reaction in the sheeple's synapses.

As I said earlier, if you play nice with me, I'll do my best to make room for you. If you race up to an obstruction and then arrogantly expect me to give way simply because you were stupid enough to run out of road don't be surprised when it doesn't happen.

Kevin...
In short it's common sense and courtesy that makes it work
Kevin...

>>
If common sense and courtesy applied ALL the time, we wouldn't need ANY motoring laws, rules or signs.
Queue jumping - Bilboman
Mattster, merge in turn is American English for "filter in". (www.dictionary.cambridge.org)
"Zip merge" is such a new term that it is not yet in any major dictionary, but I think a sign to that effect accompanied by a suitable image of a zip halfway down (voluntary self censorship of following comment...) would be understood by most normal drivers.