1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - Sheffield Steel
Just had my 1998 Ford Focus towed to the Ford Dealers by the RAC as the immobiliser is frozen on and all the codes lost in the key and ECU unit. Radio display says "CODE --------".

Any ideas how much it will cost to have it all reset and a new key?

Also, is it a big job as I need my car more than my wife, lol.

Fed up!!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/11/2007 at 18:31

1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - elekie&a/c doctor
I have not seen a focus with lost key codes.This could be a low voltage problem or a fault with the battery itself as indicated by the "code" display in the radio.
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - Screwloose

Have they even checked all the fuses?
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - bell boy
did they fry something with battery leads on the wrong way?
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - lockman
The normal reason that the car says code is because the battery has momentarily been disconnected.
The question is what else can you identify?
When you turn the key does it turn, does it make any sound and does other stuff work?
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - Sheffield Steel
Thanks for the replies guys.

When turning the key all that happened was the ignition lights came on but absolute silence from the engine. That's because the immobiliser wouldn't turn off because the chip in the key had died a death. The RAC man disconnected the battery thinking he could trick the immobiliser but then had to re-connect it so my lights would work when I was being towed.

The Dealers have told me that to enable them to reset the code I have to purchase two keys as the code can't be reset with just one.

My car will be ready today but it will cost in the region of between £120 - £150. What makes me mad is that it has an excellent service record and is mechanically sound.

Is it my fault the key and the ECU screwed up? Surely that is down to Ford?

I'm rather annoyed I have to shell out this amount of cash for a couple of keys and a few minutes programming.

Just have to stay in today now and wait for the call so I can collect my motor.

Thanks again, I hope this thread can be of help to others in the future.

Edited by Sheffield Steel on 20/11/2007 at 08:17

1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - Paulytrials
wow this is real strange, i have the same problem that happernd on the same day ? , havent yet got my car into the garage as i have been calling about to see if anyone has any idea of what the problem is, but this seems like its the same problem as mine, when you went to start the car did the immobaliser light flash real fast ?

anyways so what are they exactly doing reseting the code on the car? because i had a second key and that didnt work either.

i know how you feel about being angry mine has been so good to me then this goes and happens, if you could let me know exactly what work you have had done and the price it would be real helpfull if you wouldnt mind.

many thanks

Paul
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - injection doc
check this out, it may help

www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm
1998 - Immobiliser/Key/ECU reset - injection doc
when imobilizers freeze this may sound bizzare but I have known the boards to buil up static & lock out. I have removed them & earthed the unit to ground & run a second earth wire attached to a metal spike in the ground & run the wire along all the pin terminals, refitted & hey presto! Always worth a try when it costs nowt.
There will be someone along in a mo to say I'm barking but then I bet they haven't tried it!