Toyota Masterace - John Davis
I run an imported Toyota Masterace. This is one of the Townace/Liteace type vehicles and, for it's low initial cost, and because of it's specification and interest to the owner/mechanic, I am very pleased with it. I am trying to improve the "ride" from the front suspension which is torsion bar type. Can anyone kindlyadvise if they have investigated or worked on this type of suspension, ie, possibly on the Toyota Spacecruiser or the Litace, and found any fundamental flaws or, perhaps, linkage points which might have had premature wear, which could contribute to a rather bumpy operation. I have fitted new shock absorbers. Any help or comment much appreciated.
Re: Toyota Masterace - David W
John,

Isn't the issue here your seating position related to the "axle" or am I thinking of the wrong vehicle.

David
Re: Toyota Masterace - John Davis
Thanks David, yes, because the driver is sitting over, or slightly forward of the front "axle", there is some "bounce" which is not apparent in other, forward control vehicles. However, that is no problem. The problem is, on my vehicle, there seems to be much "slack motion", especially when going over even a slight bump (rumble strips are a nightmare). I have "barred" most of the pivot points, including the anti roll bar mountings and have not, as yet, found any excessive slack. Perhaps it is a feature of this design and, maybe, I have to live with it.
Re: Toyota Masterace - David W
John,

I have driven one of these several times, and over my standard speed hump route I mentioned in another post.

The way you are forward (or seem to be) of the effective front axle pivot point seems to cause more interaction between bumps at the rear and the drivers motion.

Also found the feeling of steering quickly round a sharp bend most unusual.

David
Re: Toyota Masterace - John Davis
Thanks again David for thoughtful comments