Uneven tyre wear - Renault Modus - csgmart
The outer edge of the L/H front tyre on SWMBO's Renault Modus is wearing down quite badly.

Her brother [my brother in law] swears this is being caused by the power steering and not bad alignment. He has worked for a local tyre fitting firm for 22 years as a tyre fitter so he does have some [relevant] experience on this matter - in my opinion. Apparantly the power steering can cause more 'aggressive' wear than a car without p/s on turns.

He has even checked the alignment [not using laser equipment though] and it is within tolerance.

Question - should I pay to get a 'proper' laser alignment check done? If so what can I expect to pay? Any recommendations - I live in Bristol and work near Swindon.

As new tyres are £80 a pop [fitted] I don't want to pay for a new tyre only to fnd that in a few thousand miles the wear is back again.

Tyres have done 19000 miles and have few thousand left in them - but not if the edge wear is allowed to continue.

Also would having an alignment check be better with new or old tyres fitted? Does it make any difference?

Uneven tyre wear - Collos25
Your brother in law may be correct but you cannot track modern cars without a full laser system,I would have it done before you fit a set of new tyres and put your mind at rest.
Uneven tyre wear - Renault Modus - piston power
19000mls is not bad going i wish mine did that!!! maybe the way i drive!, id go with the brother in law all my cars with pas did have some wear to the outer edge and the tracking was within limits.
Uneven tyre wear - Renault Modus - csgmart
Funny thing is though it's only really bad on the passenger side. Driver's side is wearing but much less so.
Uneven tyre wear - Renault Modus - doctorchris
I think part of this is due to roundabouts. If you go around these quite a bit you do many more right than left turns putting greater wear onto the outer aspect of the passenger side tyre.
Uneven tyre wear - Renault Modus - Dynamic Dave
I think part of this is due to roundabouts.

And being in the verge all the time with the potholes, drain covers and the like.