Odd speed limits? - Cliff Pope
I recently noticed that a stretch of road I have used daily for 4 years actually has a different speed limit in each direction.
Leaving a village (30mph) there is an ordinary derestriction sign, but approaching from the opposite direction there is a long stretch of 40 before the 30.
Is this common? Have I just been asleep?

If these kind of speed mixes (30/40, 30/50, 40/60, etc ?)are common, doesn't it pose problems for different kinds of activities that can or can't take place in 'roads' with particular limits?
eg if the limit is 30 in one direction but 60 in the other, it would mean you could sound the horn at night after 11pm in one direction but not the other!
What about the spacing of streetlamps, or need to park with lights on?

Can someone explain?
Re: Odd speed limits? - Brian
I think that such a situation is very uncommon, however if the conditions on either side of the road are different e.g. fields on one side, houses on the other, then I would favour different limits to reflect that.
Re: Odd speed limits? - Derek
I agree, or it may be a hazard on one side, such as a blind exit.
Re: Odd speed limits? - terry
Most likely a local authority cock-up.
Re: Odd speed limits? - Dan J
That's got to create some legal fun when performing an overtaking manouevre!
Re: Odd speed limits? - Dwight Van Driver
Sounds very much like a mistake by Local Authority signing crew.

Whilst I am aware of creating 'buffer zone' limits I am not aware that a speed restriction Order can apply to only one part of the road. There may be an argument if it is a dual carriageway.

Do your duty Cliff and report it to the local Authority/ Plod for confirmation or otherwise.

DVD
Re: Odd speed limits? - Tomo
No! DO NOT draw attention to yourself.
Re: Odd speed limits? - j.cronin
We've got a dual-carriageway with a different road number depending which way you're going.
Re: Odd speed limits? - mike harvey
Had the same thing on a road approaching Mapperly village in Derbyshire 2 years ago, and my son got off his speeding ticket because of it. Highways department were at fault.
Mike