Driving awareness course - carl_a
My dad has just crashed his car for the fifth or sixth time in the last 2 years. They are always usually parking bumps (sometimes doesn't know he's done them!) but in the last six months he's reversed into a car on a main road and today crashed into a car parked by the side of the road while going out of a T-junction.
His car contol is ok, its the awareness thats the problem.

Are there any courses I can send him on to improve awareness and driving standards ? Not really looking at advanced stuff just basics .
Driving awareness course - shoei
If you know a local independant driving insructor he will tailor a package to suit your father. I asked my neighbour and he said a drive around with him for half an hour and he would see where he is going wrong.
Driving awareness course - SteVee
Get him to the IAM (or RoSPA).
Forget the 'advanced' bit in their name - 'awareness' might be more appropriate. It is an absolute bargain, and can be enjoyable (though their bike 'training' is much better than their car).

Good luck - I wish more people would view training/instruction more than just buy a SUV/tougher car.
Driving awareness course - adverse camber
not sure about this, driving into a parked car isnt just awareness. should he actually be driving ?
Where are you in the UK shoei ?
Driving awareness course - shoei
Its been a long christmas, Shropshire Market Drayton.
Driving awareness course - Armitage Shanks {p}
Excuse me asking but how old is your father? I am an OAP and last year I paid an instructor to take me out on an 'awareness check'. £25 for an hour and in my car. Your father's insurance premiums must be a bit hefty and hasn't plod taken an interest in these incidents? Due car and attention etc? I am not getting at your father in anyway but what you describe is fairly disturbing and if he can crash into a parked car I am not sure that his control is too hot! To hit a moving car implies lack of awareness, to hit something stationary implies lack of control, to me at least. You are right to think of something remedial and good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.
My dads 59, his awareness has never been brilliant when driving. I think the main problem was that after learning to drive he didn't have a car for some years and then forgot the basic training and developed bad habits.

His insurance premiums aren't to bad, the reason being that didn't claim for the minor crashes (and no other part was involved), then when a big one happened and everything got fixed on insurance only making a single claim.

I don't think he even saw the car he crashed into this morning as it was half parked on the pavement and after making the turn was obscured by the windscreen pillar once around the corner.
This is what I mean about bad habits, normally anyone following training would look left before exiting a T-junction, but he doesn't look until he's exited.

I know he's a bad driver but he thinks there isn't a problem, its difficult to convince him that he needs to go on a course.
Driving awareness course - Civic8
>>I don't think he even saw the car he crashed into this morning as it was half parked on the pavement and after making the turn was obscured by the windscreen pillar once around the corner.

Dont forget drivers view is different from passenger,A pillars are larger than they used to be so tend to hide any obstructions during any turn..for driver that is,I dont think awarness is the issue.more of knowing areas of blindspots on car/motor driven
--
Steve
Driving awareness course - Leif
Some IAM or ROSPA 'lessons' might help.

About 4 years ago I tried to find a driving school that would give me advanced lessons but none would. I liked the idea of someone who was properly trained.

My IAM observer was IMO incompetent and dangerous (despite winning driving awards) as he continually told me what to do while driving which nearly caused several crashes. I recall being so angry as to be shaking at the end of one drive. Yes I know it was my fault for not ignoring him. IMO he should make comments when the car is parked.

As an aside, lack of awareness of other road users does seem to be a common problem. A week ago I executed a rapid stop when a neighbour pulled out into the road ahead of me. And 6 months ago someone pulled out at a T-junction into my path, requiring rapid braking to avoid a side on collision. 2 years ago someone turned across my path requiring another rapid stop (old lad, too busy talking to a neighbour). Safe Speed say that you should not need to do energency braking more than once in 5 years IIRC but that is IMO nonsense.

Leif
Driving awareness course - Vansboy
These guys are Police Class 1 drivers & Mrs V had a day with them, as last years Christmas present.

www.ridedrive.co.uk

Well worth it!!

VB
Driving awareness course - P3t3r
I would recommend advanced driving too. In my opinion, everything taught for advanced driving is fairly basic, and everybody should know it!

So many accidents is a worry. Bearing in mind that these vehicles were parked it is likely to be poor observation. He probably just needs the MSM (Mirror Signal Manoeuvre) thing drilled into him. He clearly hasn't looked well enough or has very bad car control. What's his car like, has it got big blind spots? A car with better visibility may also help.
Driving awareness course - Bromptonaut
I'd agree with p3t3r that so many accidents is a worry. Has your Dad any other symptoms of poor concentration/lack of situational awareness - loosing the thread in conversation or maybe repeating himself? Is there any family history of strokes or other symptoms of artery disease (or epilepsy)?

I know 59 seems young, and that the ageing of one's parents is difficult to face up to, but it might be worth a "check up" either with a GP or a private clinic.
Driving awareness course - StevieC
Errrrrrrm, have u tried an optician?
Driving awareness course - Hugo {P}
Carl

I must admit, I read this and can really sympathise with you. I have seen and been involved with drivers who seem completely unaware of their surroundings (outside the car).

I was involved in a situation about 18 months ago in a car park where an elderly lady reversed into my van, which was properly parked in a bay. She was attempting to park in a bay in front of my van.

She reversed with such force that her car bounced off the front bumper of my van, and came to a stop half a car length in front, protruding out of her parking space by half a car length.

Fortunately I had a witness to this, also there was no damage to either vehicle, and this was not my new van.

She then opened the drivers door, climbed out of the car, closed the door and locked it. I approached her about the incident, really just to make sure she was OK. She denied having done this. She was completely unaware that her car was now sticking out of the parking bay, and she was completely unaware that she had reversed into the van. I then turned to my witness who confirmed what I had told her. At this point she simply expressed extreme surprise, and apologised.

I was not going to claim off her insurance policy as there was no obvious damage and my vehicle was probably worth less than the price of a new bumper anyway, but I do regret not noting her number and informing the police, only for her own protection. I know a couple of PCs around here so I know how the local constabulary handle this sort of thing, hence a friendly visit over a cup of tea buy a PC would have at least alerted her to her awareness problem.

Carl, I wish you the best of luck. It's not easy handling this situation with anyone, let alone your dad.

There's an old saying, and I paraphrase "You can critisize anything you like about someone, apart from a couple of things, including their driving." So you're not alone.