Vectra B Electric Windows - Chris M
The drivers front window on my 2001 Vectra creaks (loudly) when it's opening. A bit of grease required somewhere me thinks. I plan to take a look at the weekend but have a query before I get started.
Having removing the door card, I will then have to remove the plastic sheet to gain access and hence obtain a new one (per Haynes). How do you get the new plastic taught? Are they made to shrink when you apply heat?

Chris M
Vectra B Electric Windows - AR-CoolC
Very carefuly cut through the adhesive with a sharp stanley knife. That way you can just lay the plastic back into place, and it doesn't matter if is is taught or not, its just a barrier to stop condensation inside the door getting the door card damp.

Put plenty of white grease in the runners, and whilst your there you might as well adjust the mech to tack up any slack that has built up over the years.

Wind the glass fully closed, and then slacken off the two 10mm bolts on the short runner towards the back of he door ( you'll know what I mean when your looking at it). Then re-tighten them up.

(Glass-Tech)
Thanks for the reply.

Haynes suggests the plastic has a part to play in the deployment of the side airbags and hence needs to be taught. True?

Chris M
Ah yes if it has side air bags then it does need to be taught and air tight.
The side air bag sensor is in the door and works by measuring the air pressure inside the door, If you have a side impact the volumne of inside of the door shrinks very rapidly, thus the air pressure increases very rapidly, the sensor measures this and sets off the air bag.

(Glass-Tech)
So how do you get it taught?

Chris M
Just pull it as you stick it back.
Thanks.

Chris M