Impressions on Tiptronic gearboxes - Vagelis
Greetings to all!

I am considering the Golf V 1.6 with the Tiptronic gearbox as a solution to my everyday stop-go-stop nightmare in the congested streets of Athens.

On the other hand, I would like to continue to be taking part in what is going on when driving in twisty roads - many of them in Greece. So, I value highly a good manual "override" function of an auto 'box.

I think that the Tiptronic meets these two requirements, but am not sure since I haven't driven one yet. So I would very much value your impressions and experience with such a gearbox, especially regarding the second point above - the manual "override".

So, how quick are the changes in the latest implementations? If you are in manual and say 3rd, and take your foot off the gas pedal, does it keep the 3rd in? Or does it move on to 4th - I think A Bad Thing? If in manual and accelerating (but not with the gas pedal to the floor, say at 3/4 or 4/5) will it let the engine catch the rev limiter (or get near it), or it will move on to the next gear at some lower revs (say 4500 to 5000)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Vagelis.
Impressions on Tiptronic gearboxes - ubidenmark
I have the Tiptronic gearbox in my A6Q. In "manual" mode the box will hang on to the selected gear until the point is reached where to do so might damage the engine, either by over revving or by labouring. Backing off the gas in 3rd has no effect on the selected gear unless you are at crawling speed, in which case the box will change down to 2nd and then 1st when you stop.