what's the point? - volvoman
Just heard that the penalties for dangerous driving such as driving whilst using a mobile and drink driving are going to be increased. For the former a fine of £60 and 3 points could be meted out. For the latter, banned drivers may be forced to take a retest. I can't help thinking that the real problem is not the punishements but the fact that these people tend to think they're not going to get caught in the first place so any possible sanctions don't really enter into the equation.

So, banned drivers may be forced to take a retest - it appears to me that many people are already driving whilst banned, without a licence, insurance etc. so what's the point of banning such a person? There's really not much to stop them leaving court, nicking a car and driving off is there.
what's the point? - Dwight Van Driver
Yup V

"The more things change the more they are the same" John Stuart MILLS, 17 century philofficer.

DVD
what's the point? - smokie
On a cop show I watched the other night youth was stopped for driving while disq, and (obviously) it was discovered he had no insurance. £200 fine and some community work, IIRC.

Cheaper than insurance.

Yes, I know we've been here before... :-)
what's the point? - Alan
Volvoman is exactly right, you see people using mobile phones when driving every day. Its the lack of enforcement that needs to change not the penalty which is largely irrelevent if the chance of prosecution is miniscule.
what's the point? - Malcolm_L
Spot on - however, it's cheaper to up the fine than find funding for all the extra traffic police required to make the legislation meaningful.
what's the point? - patently
Spot on - however, it's cheaper to up the fine than
find funding for all the extra traffic police required to make
the legislation meaningful.

Every time I read a post about this issue, I can't help but wonder why the fine for driving without insurance cannot be set at some multiple of the premium that they should have paid?

There would be no significant additional burden, just a phone call to a tame broker - the accused could produce a quote if he wanted to challenge the "official" quote, and a material mis-statement on the quote would be perjury.

Who would vote for 5x?
what's the point? - teabelly
One of the biggest reasons people don't insure their car is because they cannot afford the premiums. You can buy a car for £50 but insurance is typically £750 minimum for a young person in a city. A lot of the people that have cars uninsured are on the minimum wage and scraping by. I can understand why they have to. There are several ways out of it that I see as being sensible: put compulsory third party insurance on the price of fuel so everyone is automatically insured; increase the cost of cheap cars enough that those that can't afford the insurance can't afford the car either or remove the old cars from the market altogether;improve the record keeping of dvla and insurance companies and have a compulsory insurance sticker in the window of every insured vehicle to prove it has insurance. Any cars on the public highway without one get crushed. You'd need lots of people for the latter and it would have the effect of removing the cheap cars from the market as most of them would get crushed :-) There would be some environmental benefit in getting the bangers off the roads anyway.

Having huge fines is one idea but if they don't have the money for the insurance in the first place how are they going to get the money for the fines? If you are caught driving uninsured then your premiums rocket so making insurance even less affordable.

If you follow the TP on fuel route then I think you would have to bring in regulations on what type of vehicles those under a certain age/certain experience level were allowed to drive. The burberry wearers would abandon their 1 litre saxos in droves and you wouldn't be able to move for subaru imprezas...
teabelly
what's the point? - Mark (RLBS)
In CHile you must carry your car documents - essentially registration, insurance and licence.

If you do not, then the car is impounded and you will pay a substantial fine. And that's assuming you can show the documents the next day.

If you can't the car is gone forever and the fine is even greater.

Guess how much of an issue they have compared to us with uninsured cars, stolen cars, unlicenced drivers, etc. etc.

You need photo ID to buy a car, sell a car, licence a car, or even get it back from a garage after repair.

Now whilst their accident statistics make ugly reading they don't have the same issues that we do.

But I'm sure that's all an infringment of someone's rights.
what's the point? - MarkSmith
Some amusing ideas Teabelly ;-)

>put compulsory third party insurance on the price of fuel so everyone is automatically insured

Then there would be no incentive not to damage stuff. (I don't really care if my car gets a dent, it's old and tatty as it is.)

>increase the cost of cheap cars enough that those that can't afford the insurance can't afford
>the car either or remove the old cars from the market altogether

First point here is how are you going to do this? How are you going to legislate that I can't sell my car for £1? A stamp duty for cars perhaps? That won't go down well.

But implementational difficulties aside, this would mean EVEN MORE people can't afford the insurance! I may be able to affrord a £50 car and £750 insurance. But if I have to pay £1000 for the car, I can't afford the insurance. The government (according to some) ALREADY penalises "the motorist" enough. It seems rather unfair to just make motoring EVEN MORE expensive to deliberately make it more elitist, and in fact encourage tax/insurance evasion.

> improve the record keeping of dvla and insurance companies

I believe this is on its way.

> and have a compulsory insurance sticker in the window of every insured vehicle to prove it has insurance.
> Any cars on the public highway without one get crushed.

Hope to goodness the adhesive is good or you might get back to find the sticker fell off (or was missed or you forgot to change it over or whatever) and your brand new BMW has been reduced to a lump of metal the size of a shoebox.

Anyone have any sensible suggestions? ;-)

-Mark
what's the point? - hxj

The changes that I would like to see are:

1. A car can only be taxed when the MOT/Insurance are valid throughout the period of the tax or at least six months.

2. More ANPR cameras, but please don't advertise them as they do in Leicestershire, only encourages people to avoid them!

3. Make the fine for driving uninsured equal to the insurance due, which will also need to be paid. Or get the car crushed. I accept few fines will be paid but at least the car is taken off the road permanently.

4. Ensure anyone that hands in a car over 10 years old receives a sum of say £250 and then the car will be crushed or dismantled, this will take a lot of dodgy cars off the road.

PS I simply do not accept that the owning and driving of a car is a simple right with no responsibilities.
They don't need to think they won't get caught as statistically speaking it is highly unlikely that they will be caught.
Traffic police are what is really needed but they cost money rather than generate it. Even though the balance sheet would be much healthier if the emergency services didn't have to spend so much of their time cleaning up after RTAs often caused by the uninsured, unlicenced and the drunk/drugged that are left to drive around unhindered. I don't know when Staffordshire's traffic division were disbanded but last year there was over a 40% increase in fatalities on the county's roads (90 dead instead of the usual 70 something). The worst year since 1994. I think they're learning though as I have noticed lots of police cars driving around of an evening when before during the summer there were none.

I'm fed up of seeing these herberts using mobile phones while driving. Pedestrians must also be at greater risk as they are often too busy on their phones to look where they're going and tend to wander into the street without looking. If they walk out in front of another inattentive mobile phone user....
teabelly
what's the point? - regent
All these plans are in effect meant to reduce the number of fatalities on UK roads. But as we are often told, UK roads are one of the safest in terms of fatalities per 1000 population. Therefore, there must be a time where you can?t reduce the figures any more, in other words despite all the initiatives, and cars being safer in terms of accident survivability , countered by increasing numbers of vehicles on the road, statically, you cannot reduce the figure any more.

What does the team think?
what's the point? - MarkSmith
They may (or may not) be the safest, but that doesn't mean they're as safe as they could be.

While some people might drive without a license, lots of people wouldn't. For example, the guy who goes out, has 10 pints and drives home, knowing when he drove to the pub that this is what he would do - this guy is perhaps more likely to drive without a license, without insurance and so on. So the changes are not going to affect him much.

But the guy who goes out and ends up having more drinks than he intended, then drives home against his better judgement. This guy might respect the ban.

Now, of course, the first guy is the bigger problem - but although you're always going to have some people evading the law, I think it's better to make a change to disuade most of them than to do nothing and catch none.

Not directly related, but I am of the opinion that licenses should expire after, say, 10 years. Like an MOT, you'd get an overlap period (say a year) to retake and pass a driving test.

-Mark
what's the point? - daveyjp
Theoretically you are correct as there will never be no accidents, but the number of accidents can always be reduced. How many people still don't wear seatbelts. I counted whilst waiting in traffic one day and 30% of drivers who passed me weren't wearing theirs. How many times do you see kids sat on mum's knee in the front or kneeling on the back seat etc etc.

I have just been to Malaysia on holiday and accident related stories seemed to be on the front page nearly every day. Over the period of a week the average number of deaths on the roads was 17 per day (ours is about 10). They are looking at reducing this by 40% over the next five years. A major issue over there is overloading of vehicles - in one accident involving two cars 13 people died, 7 in one car and 6 in the other - the car with 7 in was a Perodua Nippa, the other a small Kia. There is no rear seat belt law and no regard as to the advised maximum number of people to be carried in a vehicle - two adults and two kids on a motorbike is a regular sight.

Yes our accident figures are some of the lowest in the World, but there is always more we can do.
I think there is a minimum figure, and I think we're well above it. However, even if we reached it then it wouldn't console me if one of my nearest & dearest was involved in one of them.

There are two issues - we can look at the overall number of accidents and we can look at the seriousness of the consequences that follow from them. There are links between the two, but both need addressing.

What frightens me is that the death rate is climbing. Therefore we are getting one or (probably) both of these wrong.
Someone in another forum who works in the nhs hinted that SIs cost an awful lot more than a K. Plus with a K you get organs for passing on... How many of the increase in fatalities are over the drink drive limit or in a stolen car? Fewer traffic pols = more wreckless behaviour unchecked = more fatalities.

teabelly
Now that is seriously into the realms of conspiracy theories!
what's the point? - NowWheels
wreckless behaviour unchecked

I know it's rude to laugh at a typo, but I wish there was more wreckless behaviour. Unfortunately, too much recklessness is what we've got :)
I sanity checked that and thought there was something I was missing... perhaps it should be wreckful behaviour :-)
teabelly
what's the point? - NowWheels
teabelly, I wreckon you're right :)
what's the point? - DavidHM
If the average person earns £20k a year and is aged 40, that means they have 30 years' taxpaying at £5k a year, plus all the benefits that their spouse/child won't get, plus the sunk cost of insurance and so on.

Certainly a very seriously injured (i.e., utterly dependent on someone else for their car for the rest of their life) will cost more than a fatality in financial terms, but I doubt that it would apply to someone who could make a reasonable recovery, who would contribute on average £150k in income plus probably three or four times that in profitability/salary/spending to the econmomy.
what's the point? - Schnitzel
What is the point of the fines?
It's a scam and it's a sham.
They send them on a supervision scheme, where they get a social worker, and are given £50 a week pockey money but they take £10 off for the fine a week, leaving them with £40 of taxpayer's money!
what's the point? - john deacon
my contribution in tax to the nhs has already in my relatively short life been much more than me or my close family will ever benefit, even if we all have very expensive accidents

you would think they would be a bit more grateful, instead of putting posters up telling me to go home if im not really ill

:)

what's the point? - Hugo {P}
"...and have a compulsory insurance sticker in the window of every insured vehicle to prove it has insurance.
Any cars on the public highway without one get crushed."

We already have one of those. It is called a Tax Disc, which you have to show valid insurance and MOT to aquire.

The problem here is that,

Cars are simply not displaying tax disks anyway, and

Insurance can expire the day after the disk is purchased.

Even if Tax disks and insurance were combined that would be a step forward. The rules would be simple:

When you bought a new car, you would take out insurance as you do now, however, the insurance co would also send out your RFL disk and pass that money straight onto the Government.

When a car is over 3 years old, insurance sees MOT cert (or checks on new computer system) before issuing you with insurance and tax disk.

The tax disk expires on the same day as the insurance or the MOT, whichever is earlier. Owners given 30 days before MOT to get car re MOTed. Any car without an MOT can be driven to and from a pre booked appointment with the express permission of the insurers (ie you call them first).

Loss of the tax disc is reported to police before any replacements can be sent.

This process would help to prevent (in theory) people running taxed but uninsured and MOT overdue cars.

H
what's the point? - smokie
Not wishing to take anything away from your post, ISTR that insurance has to have 30 days left when you renew your tax - or was that the MOT? I know I got caught out one year.
what's the point? - daveyjp
The Post Office refused to sell me road tax for my wife's car as the insurance only had a week to run - fortunately I took the new policy too.
what's the point? - artful dodger {P}
Why is it not a requirement for a seller to see and make a note of the buyer's insurance details on the registration transfer document? If the seller does not see proof of insurance then they should not be allowed legally to complete a transaction. It might delay completion of a sale slightly but at least everyone would know that the car cannot be driven uninsured.

Alternatively if the Road Tax was issued by insurance companies then you would have to have insurance to get a tax disk. If the car was being sold then the buyer would have to obtain insurance to tax it and the previous owners tax disk would have to be returned to cancel the insurance.
what's the point? - hxj

I would love to have never been to hospital personally or with family. Personally I doubt that I will ever pay enough tax/NI to pay for the treatment that my little one had.

But I think that that makes you lucky not me.
what's the point? - Buster Cambelt
All this is indicative of a society that is long on rights but short on responsibilities. When I was a teenager I could afford a car but not the insurance so I waited until I could afford both. No one has the right to drive, it is a privilege and one that has to be balanced with responsibilities, to insure the car, not to drive drunk and not to use a mobile phone at the wheel....

Sure we are over-regulated and over taxed but a large number of the new laws exist because too many act withour responsibility while driving.
what's the point? - Sofa Spud
Maybe there should be an industry-wide mobile phone customer blacklist. Then, as well as the fine and penalty points the culprit could get their mobile phone blocked for 2 weeks!!!

I've noticed that use of handhelds behind the wheel has increased since a low point in the weeks after the ban. Especially where White Van Man's concerned.

Cheers, SS