delivery mileage? - jallopy
What is delivery mileage for a new car? What is a good mileage for a delivery and is 277 miles a second hand car? or bad luck? or a good percentage off the asking price.?
delivery milleage? - NARU
The most I've ever had on the clock in the UK was 49 miles. Even in Kenya, the most was 600km.

At 277 miles it sounds as if its been run as a demonstrator on trade plates??

I understood that most UK garages can set the mileage back to zero via their plug-in computer; specially so customers don't see too many miles. So a 'new' car showing zero miles may have done a few.
delivery milleage? - No Do$h
277 miles is less than a day's motoring for many people. That's a new car, but I'd still try for a free set of mats or mudflaps simply because you've got the teensiest of levers.

delivery milleage? - PoloGirl
If I'd ordered a new car, and it came with that many miles on it, I'd be stamping my feet about it. But then, I always was a bit of a stubborn one! It's not the fact that it's got miles on it, but the girly aspect that you expect to be the first person to drive it properly if you've paid for a new car, and yet it looks like you're not.

277 miles is a hell of a delivery - surely if it's had to come from that far away it should have gone on a transporter? Or has it been used for lots of little test drives? Or has it already been someone else's "new" car and they've rejected it because of some fault you haven't discovered yet?

Would you wear your new shoes if someone else had already walked 277 miles in them? ;)
delivery milleage? - blue_haddock
Most new toyota's come with less than 10 miles on the clock although the odd one does sometimes have up to 20 on.

No way could 277 be classed as delivery mileage - more likely to be an ex-demo.
Just as soon as Mitsubishi UK "port release" Mrs ND's L200 (no idea what they're doing to it but it's been sat in Mtisubishi's UK receiving unit in Southampton for the last two weeks) it will get whisked up to the supplying dealer in..... Telford. Yup, one of those strange coincidences. It will then get PDId and, er, driven down to Poole by the garage's own delivery driver. So that's close on 200 miles.

It simply isn't economical to deliver individual cars by transporter if you are sourcing them from or they arrive from distant dealerships. We've got a price we're happy with and the vehicle we want. The compromise is that the dealer prepared to do the deal is 200 miles away. If I want it on a transporter it goes on the price. I can live with the miles as they represent less than 0.5% of the miles we expect to do in the truck over the next 3 years.
No dosh - who are you dealing with at JT hughes? it's not Dave Biggs by any chance is it? i used to do deal with them a fair bit.
delivery milleage? - Hugo {P}
No way could 277 be classed as delivery mileage - more
likely to be an ex-demo.

Actually I beg to differ here....

When working for a Vauxhall Dealership in 1991 I regularly drove unregistered cars from Leicester to other parts of the country. It was part of the stock control that Vauxhall managed.

If a car of a certain spec was available with another dealer then the two dealers would come to some arrangement whereby they would swap cars. Hence quite often I would travel for up to 4 hours in one vehicle and swap it for another. The needy dealer would get charged for my time plust fuel etc.

277 miles pre delivery is not uncommon. At least the dealership I worked for left the odeometers connected when we drove them.

H
delivery milleage? - wemyss
Most new toyota's come with less than 10 miles on the clock although the odd one does sometimes have up to 20 on....
If they are Burnaston Derby ones its because one out of so many is automatically taken on to the test track at Burnaston.
delivery milleage? - Ford Dagenham
Hello

Here is my oppinion.

If i purchased a new car and it had 277 miles on the clock i would reject it.

Reason being is that it has been driven by someone ie not me (e.g i paid full retail)
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
delivery milleage? - Kevin
>Would you wear your new shoes if someone else had already walked
>277 miles in them? ;)

I suspect the cow probably did more than that.

Who's got the coat?

Kevin...
Hello

I have the coat and the hat.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
delivery milleage? - Adam {P}
Bit harsh isn't it? She only said she'd get a bit stroppy!
--
Adam
Hello.

Who are you reffering to as the hat is getting upset.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
delivery milleage? - Adam {P}
>>I suspect the cow probably did more than that.<<

I was trying to make a link between that and PG - completely tic of course.

My attempt at humour which, as usual, has fallen flat on it's face.

Got another coat to spare?
--
Adam
Hello

I have but its the wifes gardening coat.

it has a pair of pruning scissors.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
delivery milleage? - Altea Ego
Been driving new cars since 1979. The least I had was 1 mile. (a tranporter dropped it off. stupid muppet put mine on first, then dropped mine off first. He had to unload about 5 cars in the middle of richmond high st to deliver mine! - the resulting jam made the traffic headlines)

the most was 270 (delivered from way ooppp north somewhere)
delivery milleage? - quizman
I think that 277 miles is rather alot, I wonder if Jeremy Clarkson has been driving it to the seaside?
If I was buying a car from a long distance away, I would fetch it myself and run it in carefully. I have seen too many cars being thrashed on trade plates.
A mate of mine went to Germany to collect his new Merc, they put him up in a hotel organized his flights and everything. The car was nicely run in when he got back, and he had a bit of a holiday. If only I could afford a Merc.
delivery milleage? - Avant
If it's agreed in advance, as for Mrs ND, fair enough - otherwise look carefully at the terms and conditions. If the contract is to supply a NEW car, then you can reasonably question it, and reject it or agree an extra discount.

The only car I had with excess delivery miles (about 150 from memory) was my first new car, an MG 1300 in 1971 - and that has been the only one that has ever used excessive oil. Could have been caned by a delivery driver. I should have argued, but I was young and eager to get on the road, so believed the salesman saying it was normal.

I'm with PoloGirl - if you are paying a lot of money for a new car (and £995 was a lot of money in 1971) you don't want the feeling that your new pride and joy is shop-soiled. That's not necessarily girly!
Avant - thats exactly what i'm talking about.

If your buying a new car from your local dealer it should have only a dozen or so miles on at most but if like Mrs ND your getting the car from the other end of the country (normally due to cost savings) and having it delivered to your door then i would expect 'proper delivery' mileage plus the distance from dealer to your house to be on the clock.

delivery milleage? - L'escargot
I think it probably depends whether the car is standard spec or has optional extras. Standard spec cars are built by the thousand. They may have been stored in a compound for weeks (or even months) and may have been to more than one dealer (driven on the road) before they reach the selling dealer. Cars with an optional extra or two will usually come straight from the factory to the selling dealer on a transporter ~ or possiby two if they go to a distribution depot first ~ and hence will have minimal mileage on the clock by the time you get your hands on it.

I always specify optional extras for this very reason.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
delivery milleage? - BB
With 277 miles on the clock, it could have also been in rework at the factory a few times, moving from one place to the next.
It is not uncommon to see Land Rovers with 100+ miles on them simply because they are moved around so much going from one rework place to the next (even Gaydon from Solihull.)
delivery milleage? - richy
A mate of mine had a 53 reg impretza last year with 33 miles on the clock. The same week he got I'd fitted new disks and pad on my 306 and was having to bed them in very carefully cause the stopping power was very weak. It took about 500 miles of gentle driving before they came up to scratch.

The first time he braked late into a corner in that Scoob I thought we were going straight on. They must have done more than 33 miles to have bedded in like that, same thing with new tyres.

I think the dealers have to put a few miles on to make sure every thing works ok ( is there a road test part of a PDI?) don't want some muppet ploughing straight on at the first bend "it was'nt as sharp as the demonstrator"
delivery milleage? - SjB {P}
As with all previous generation Vectra GSi models, my Estate version left the factory as an SRi and was then trailored to MSD in Milton Keynes for conversion to GSi spec (different camshafts, wheels, bodykit, etc). It was then trailored to the dealer in Southampton who supplied it to me. Only trouble was, I lived in Bucks, so I asked the dealer to ensure that it was trailored to me, not driven. Lo and behold, it was.

Miles on the clock?

Diddly squat, backed up by clean paper stickers still stuck to the tread on the Yokohama tyres fitted along with GSi spec wheels at MSD.

Happy customer.

When I collected my V70 2.4T that replaced the GSi from the supplying Dutch dealer (Yes, delivering it to Bucks they would indeed have charged, ha ha!), it had 1.7 miles on the clock, and yet more paper labels still stuck to the tyres.

Happy customer again.
The first time he braked late into a corner in that
Scoob I thought we were going straight on. They must have
done more than 33 miles to have bedded in like that,
same thing with new tyres.

Depending on the pads and discs they can be bedded-in in around 5 miles. Ferodo DS2500 or DS Performance pads combined with Black Diamond Cross-drilled for example; Find a quiet Roman road in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you have clear sight and take car to 40. Brake HARD, maybe 80% of what would bring the ABS into chatter mode. Repeat half a dozen times. Allow to cool. Repeat 6-cycle process again. Ta-da! Faultless braking and they never glaze in low-retardation conditions, unlike fast-road pads that haven't been bedded-in in this way.

This will work with any performance disc/pad combination. Not recommended on your average saloon though, unless you've upgraded the brakes as I have..

This technique is detailed in the technical spec you get with the Ferodo pads.
delivery milleage? - Civic8
is there a road test part of a PDI..Yes all PDI`s are road tested. Including Inspection by supervisor. before car is released to customer

--
Steve
delivery milleage? - Robin
Rework in a car factory? Now that has got my mind boggling. I work in the food industry and with the particular product we make rework is an important part of the process. Any 'stuff' that does not get used to make products is usually sent round the process again and put into other, quite different products. I often tell our factory manager that if we made cars he'd be putting Audi engines in Beemers. Now you tell me that rework exists in car manufacturing. Surely not the same principle?
delivery milleage? - BB
Thats right!!
As the cars go down the track (production line) they may get a bad windscreen, door casing etc etc. These are usually picked up at the assembly stage and final inspection stage.
Also, as parts are sequenced (e.g. the supplier ships out 100 sets of seats, some have heating elements, some don't. Some have electric seats, some don't.) Mistakes happen and the car can't go out the door.
These cars are left in a rework area. This rework area may be at the end of the track, the other end of the factory or indeed occasionally at another site. Sometimes these cars are moved around quite a bit before they are finally finished and out the door.

A bit like most other manufacturing processes really, not different in automotive except for Toyota probably ;)

I see this on a daily basis.