Snow/winter tyres - Mike H
Having swapped my steel wheels for alloys on my Saab 9-5, I still have the steels. I was thinking about getting some winter tyres to go on them. Can anyone suggest a source of cheap winter tyres here in the UK - having just come back from Austria, where everyone has a set of spare wheels with winter tyres, it was very tempting to buy a spare set there, but didn't have any room in the car. It was incredible to see the sort of conditions they could drive in with proper snow tyres. I was also thinking of really wet as well as snowy conditions.

Anyone any ideas?
Snow/winter tyres - stevek
I have a set of Snowtrac 2 tyres on my Corolla for winter only. Last winter I had no problems around the Peak District where I live but there were lots of other drivers on ordinary tyres that had no traction on the slightest gradients.
I know it is an expense but I think it is well worth it. I used Selecta tyres in Bredbury and they were only about £45 each (from memory)
Thanks, but probably too far for me (live on the south coast) - like you I was astounded at how a properly equipped car can drive on snow!
Snow/winter tyres - matt35 {P}
Mike,

Type 'snow tyres' in Google and take your pick.

Matt35.
Yes, good thought, but having looked at most of the sites for ordinary tyres, it's a long trudge with loads of dead ends pricewise!
Snow/winter tyres - daveyjp
The last hire car I had was fitted with Uniroyal Rallye tyres which are more heavily grooved for wet conditions. They may be good at shifting water, but it hardly rains on Madeira! My main concern was the road noise which was horrendous even at relatively low speeds.
Snow/winter tyres - Andrew-T
Mike - if you live near the middle of the south coast you may be within reach of Micheldever?
Snow/winter tyres - legacylad
Toyo Snowprox S940, pretty good in snow, slush and dripping wet roads. My local dealer in N. Yorks charges £230 for a set of 4 (195x60 R15)including fitting and balancing. Favourable reports also on various websites.Well worth considering.
Snow/winter tyres - PhilW
Mike,
I too have friends in Austria. They too have snow. But why would someone living in the middle of the south coast of England worry about having snow tyres? Stay indoors and buy a few bottles of malt for those few hours per year you have snow. Or a cheap set of quick fit snow chains.
Snow/winter tyres - Peter D
I use Pirelli M & S's on steel rims as I travel up to the Highlands Sking at weekends. Available form many sorces including Mytyres.co.uk delivered to your door. Beware the fitting charges some chains ( Not Snow ) charge stupid amounts. Regards Peter.
Tempting thought with the malt. Unfortunately, when we do get snow, the authorites don't necessarily respond as quickly as one might hope - and my wife needs to travel across country to her school. I understand the point you are making, but since I have the spare steels it seemed to be a good opportunity to properly kit myself at minimum cost.

The cheap snow chains aren't really a viable option - I have a Saab 9-5 with lowered suspension which needs slim (=special=expensive) chains - which once again aren't user-friendly for tarmac driving, they are really only a get-you-home option. I might get a set for my other, older car - see my other post about cheap chains in France (about £27 set).

Yep - planning a visit this saturday for a set of ordinary rubbers on the alloys!
Snow/winter tyres - Mapmaker
Mike

Accepting that there are only a few snowy hours in Brighton, you are right that you'll do better when it rains.

So you're going to get up in the morning, shower, shave and put on your suit. Then you grab your bowler hat and tightly rolled umbrella to go out to your car to commute to work.

Gracious me! How it does rain cats and dogs this August morning, and how it does thunder and lighten. I know, I'll just swap the wheels on my car which is parked on the street. Thank heavens for this teflon suit which will resist oil and water and for my trusty bowler hat which will keep my head dry.

[Some time later] Doing well, two wheels changed so far. But what's this. I cannot get the third wheel off as some idiot at Supaspeedyfittyre'n'exhuast has used an air gun instead of a torque wrench. And wheel number 4 has a jammed locking nut.

But at least I'll be able to do 60 up the motorway whilst everybody else has slowed to 30, that's really saving me time.

;)
Mapmaker

Thank you for your (almost) amusing post. Unfortunately, as you haven't read the rest of the thread it loses a bit of impact! I don't use it to commute - I don't use it full stop, my wife drives the car across country so no motorways involved. And, of course, you wouldn't know that I live nowhere near Brighton, and don't wear a suit to work while I travel to the station in the car that isn't the subject of this post....ah well.
Snow/winter tyres - patently
Mike H - fair point but the post still cheered the rest of us up.

Thanks mapmaker.
Snow/winter tyres - Mapmaker
Mike H

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to cause offence. I was also tapping away with my two fingers whilst you were posting your bit about driving cross country. My response might have been a bit different if I'd read it and been in full possession of the facts.

I fully accept that I should have checked up more carefully to discover that you don't live in Brighton or commute to work by car or wear a suit. The Grauniad is happy to correct all mistakes!

I am delighted to note, however, that you carry a tightly rolled umbrella and wear a bowler hat to work; very old fashioned.
Both good weapons in the fight for the best seats on the train!

No hard feelings. Us southerners are thick skinned.