406 Coupe folding mirrors - BodgeJob
Just backed out of the garage and caught the nearside mirror causing it to fold the wrong way. The motors then went berserk seemingly moving the mirror casing randomly back and forwards. After trying to move it by hand both mirror casings have now folded inwards completely and will not fold out again using the controls. The mirrors themselves are still moving in the casing and the motors are still working as they fold back automatically if moved by hand. Anyone got any ideas please? Can they be reset?
406 Coupe folding mirrors - David Lacey
I think the gear mechanisms have gone out of sync, thus confusing the control units.....not sure how to reset....sorry.
406 Coupe folding mirrors - BodgeJob
David

Thanks for the reply. I took the mirror off and took it all apart to find that the spring loaded central core of the hinge mechanism was not locating properly. There is a micro-switch which presumably senses one of two positions 90 degrees apart when the mirror is in its normal or folded position and the motor runs one way or the other until it finds one. Because the mechanism was dislocated it was not moving properly and I assume could not work out where it was. Once relocated (though initially had it 180 degrees out) it now works fine. Big relief as I suspect they are seriously expensive!

Jon
406 Coupe folding mirrors - David Lacey
Good news indeed! I thought there must be some sort of mirco-switched mechanism in there somewhere that needed to be 'timed up', so to speak!