Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - Sparkster

Anyone Help! I started the car but the steering lock was stuck on, so I turned off the engine but the key will only turn one click to the 1st ignition. I can't turn the key to the off position to get it out. the car starts but the steering lock will not disengage. Any help please?

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - elekie&a/c doctor
If it turns to the first position, then it may be possible to remove the lock/ switch assembly. There should be a small securing screw , remove this first . Then locate the spring loaded locking pin . Push this down , and the complete lock should slide out with the wiring. Disconnected first.
Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - Sparkster

Thnx

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - sammy1

You should not be able to start a car with the steering locked as it obviously means that you could move off with no steering. Usually you sometimes have to jiggle the steering wheel to enable the key to turn. Seems like the key barrel has failed

No you shouldn't but I can. I will see if I can remove the barrel. I can't get the key to the out position

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - focussed

Similar happened to me with a Citroen BX except I couldn't get the key in the lock, tried the other key - the same. We had just sold the car to some friends of MoH and they had tested it and parked it before doing the paperwork. The steering lock was on and it was in the way in the cul-de-sac, Spent the rest of the evening drilling the lock off in the dark.

They still bought the car after I replaced the lock!

No more French cars for me - ever.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - Andrew-T

And I thought you lived there ? What do the neighbours say ? :-)

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - focussed

And I thought you lived there ? What do the neighbours say ? :-)

It's a different conversation over here. The french regard talking about things like your car, it's make and it's price as bad manners, as they also never discuss or mention how much their house is worth.

The supermarket car park is a mix of the usual french marques with a fair proportion of VW, BMW, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai etc - I would guess at about 20% of the total.

I do get remarks about our L200 pick-up "very nice truck" etc

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - Morris Marina 1.3 Super

What's the mileage..first step imho is to wiggle the key and flood the barrel with wd-40 or similar

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Ignition key stuck in barrel with ignition on - galileo

What's the mileage..first step imho is to wiggle the key and flood the barrel with wd-40 or similar

Plus-gas is probably the best thing for releasing stuck items.