Automatic Only Licence - RaineMan

A lady I know is coming up to 40. She started learning to drive half a lifetime ago but never followed it through. Now with a young son she is keen to start driving as public transport cannot be relied on. She wants to go for an automatic licence but her partner (who coincidentally drives an automatic) wants her to go for a manual one. With increasing traffic volumes and no real interest on her part in driving a manual I think automatic only would be fine and probably lead to get getting on the road quicker. Any views?

Automatic Only Licence - VengaPete

Son in law is 30 this year and is in a similar situation (ie;tried a manual but couldn't get on with it) so is about to start auto lessons.If you consider that within 10 years most vehicles will be hybrid / EV which currently are all autos, then nothing wrong with auto only licence.

Do be aware that currently auto's tend to be a bit more expensive and aren't as efficient and can be more expensive to insure and tax. But I imagine as auto becomes mainstream that will change.

Automatic Only Licence - SLO76
It does limit her options, particularly if shopping for an older and smaller used car but automatics are available in bigger numbers than ever before in the UK market. If it makes things easier for her and she understands the limitations her choice will put on her such as it would be unwise to buy Fiat 500 auto or anything fitted with an automated manual box such as a VW, Seat or Skoda or any Powershift Ford then fair enough but I’d be clear that it will restrict the choice in reliable used cars available to her. The best small autos are all Japanese and if she finds these bland then I’d tell her to go for a full licence instead.
Automatic Only Licence - badbusdriver

If she is planning to buy new and offload before the warranty is up, then yes, go for the auto only.

If she is planning to buy used, but is the type of person who will to listen to advise re reliablity and buy based on that, then yes, go for the auto only.

But if she is going to buy used, and buy purely based on image, looks, or badge, then no, get a manual license.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/05/2019 at 11:29

Automatic Only Licence - retgwte

Problem in the UK is that if they need to hire a car anytime, or use a courtesy car while theirs is being repaired, they will almost always need a manual licence.

So even if planning to only ever drive automatics I would recommend learning and passing test in a manual, thats gives far more flexibility.

Even people who dont think they will be able to cope with manual are usually ok with a good instructor and light clutch.

Automatic Only Licence - badbusdriver

Problem in the UK is that if they need to hire a car anytime, or use a courtesy car while theirs is being repaired, they will almost always need a manual licence.

Not really, it may cost more to hire an auto over an equivalent, and you may need to book further in advance, but they are available. As for a courtesy car, obviously depends on the garage, but as an example, last year our Jazz CVT (my wifes Motability car) had to get some body repairs done. The Motability advisor said we'd get an automatic courtesy car, so with that in mind, i was surprised that the work would be done a local bodyshop. They supplied a Corsa auto as a courtesy car. So if a bodyshop in a medium sized North East Scotland town can supply an automatic courtesy car, no reason why any other reasonable sized garage couldn't. When we went on holiday to Majorca a few years ago, i was seriously considering hiring an auto for the fact that it would make it less stressful not having to worry about changing gear using the 'wrong' hand. There certainly wouldn't have been any problem with availablity, but due to the extra cost i just went with a manual.

And with the figures i unearthed in the 'manuals vs automatics' thread showing the clear swing towards automatic cars, any garage owner would be at risk of losing business by not being able to offer an automatic courtesy car.

Automatic Only Licence - bathtub tom
When we went on holiday to Majorca a few years ago, i was seriously considering hiring an auto for the fact that it would make it less stressful not having to worry about changing gear using the 'wrong' hand.

No problem, doesn't everyone try changing gear with the window winder?

Automatic Only Licence - RaineMan

If I drive a 50s/60s classic with a column change for a few hours I have to concentrate so I do not try and change gear with the indicator!

I think the lady will listen to advice as she is not into status symbols.